JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I doubt what was scarce during WWII would have any bearing on what will be scarce during the next major world conflict. The world is a very different place.

The one thing you will need to survive any major world affecting calamity, be it war, a solar event, asteroid strike or whatever... Can't be stockpiled or bought at REI. Its common sense and a will to survive. Having it is a lot better indicator of your chances than a years worth of freeze dried food or thousands of rounds of ammo.

Could use some extra toffee bark. That stuff is tasty!

Maybe fixings to make chocolate peanut butter cups. I mean fresh PB cups with a nice cupa...mmmm rite there.

Read on another board what someone would buy at the store, if it was the last trip to the store (and they knew it)...All of the chocolate and as much cooking oil (as many trips as possible).

Honestly it depends what you enjoy eating, as to what to put up...along with standard staples (Flour, yeast, sodas, rice, pasta, taters, beans, lentils, oats etc etc)...and what you have allready put up and why you do.

We're pretty well set, excluding chocolate & cooking oils.

Don't use enough day to day to have a need to stock up on too much of either...but may put back a little bit more in oils-just don't want it going bad before use in rotation "if nothing happens". That'd be a waste of $.

Edit, adding: my Dad's sending us some of their lanterns. Nice!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last Edited:
I am a firm believer that you should prep for one thing. Survival! I think this covers you in any category. No matter what you do a lot of that depends on you and your skill set.

Choose wisely it could mean your life. The one thing I take into consideration is my wife and family. They do not have the same skill set that I do.

Some common items that may be over looked :
Allergy medicine...
Aspirin...
Toilet paper...
Diapers and diaper wipes...
Dog and or cat chow...
Batteries...
Fuel for cars...stoves ...heaters...etc...

I'd also think about coffee , tobacco and booze...if you don't use 'em...they always make good trade items...

Before buying anything however...you should take a long , hard look at what you really need versus what you want or feel you need to be comfortable...
Getting in good physical and mental shape is always a plus...
Also be careful in what and how you trade or store items...no need in becoming a target for your stuff...
Andy

Last war saw gold and silver coins, cigarettes, silk stockings, chocolate, as prime fodder for barter.
Since soft paper used for Montgomery Ward and Sears catalogs are not available nor coveted any more, I might add toilet paper.

What SKrueger wrote +

Much of modern warfare is out of capabilities of everyday civilians and many older veterans...so offensive and defensive roles for untrained, unable, or unwilling (most) people would look a lot like guerella warfare...

So reconnaissance and research now will pay off big-time later.

Some things that are hard to get before the "war" starts...

You didn't really think I would put that list on an open forum did you?

:s0140:

Another good thing would be to stay out of target areas, big cities will be reduced to ashes in a heartbeat. No amount of preps will help you, even a shelter isn' any good because you have no idea when the nukes will hit. Wars are by attrition so they kill populations.

A fallout shelter, skin mags (without internets, whats a guy gonna do, use his imagination? Yeahrite :D), lots of beans, rice, ramen, beef jerky, aspirin, water, bandaids and bullets.

Ok, the above was only half jest. You can decide what was and was not a joke. But think how our modern society would be if they have no internet, no food, no medicine, no power, and nowhere safe to be. Thats a scary mess right there. What do you think you would need to survive and stay out of the mobs way?

I suppose the list of what was actually on official 'Rationed' status would be a start;
there has to be a current-era corollary of the 'downed pilot' survival bag nostrum of many decades:
:eek:'nylons/lipstick/condoms/gold coins'o_O
not that it's ever been 'official' as far as I have seen, but the idea of that last-buy-your-way-out of nearly any tight personal circumstance seems useful.

The discussion grows ever more complex with exhaustive discussion of 'bug out/bug in/bug home' etc bags. And I'm as confused as anyone as to 'just how much room to leave' for my supply of bitcoins....

Nothing you can stock up on will be any good as after 3/4/5 days people will start to get hungry and you will have a very hard protecting what ever you have stocked up on. IF you can defend your place~~ which will be impossible if 3/4/5 scavengers come after your place from hearing a gen running or smelling food cooking.
If you try defending yourself/ family they only have to throw a burning cocktail on you roof and your history pretty fast.
Also at what point do you start shooting???????????? and at whom.:confused::confused::confused:

Nothing you can stock up on will be any good as after 3/4/5 days people will start to get hungry and you will have a very hard protecting what ever you have stocked up on. IF you can defend your place~~ which will be impossible if 3/4/5 scavengers come after your place from hearing a gen running or smelling food cooking.
If you try defending yourself/ family they only have to throw a burning cocktail on you roof and your history pretty fast.
Also at what point do you start shooting???????????? and at whom.:confused::confused::confused:

Just dump all your empty food boxes and wrappers in your neighbor's yard - you know which one ;). When people start snooping around join the crowd and start bubbleguming about how that a55hat refused to share any food and kicked you off his doorstep when you asked if they had any baby food they could spare for the poor minority refugee lesbian couple down the street... should work in Portland anyway

For some good insight, read up on Ferfal (Fernando Aguirre), who survived Argentina's economic disaster. He's written a very good, perhaps definitive book on urban survival, but you can get a good read on what it's like here:

ferFAL Some first hand experience A brief story of Argentina | Survival Monkey Forums

There is a similar story of urban survival from war torn Bosnia in the 1980's - I'll post if I run across it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top