JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I doubt what was scarce during WWII would have any bearing on what will be scarce during the next major world conflict. The world is a very different place.

The one thing you will need to survive any major world affecting calamity, be it war, a solar event, asteroid strike or whatever... Can't be stockpiled or bought at REI. Its common sense and a will to survive. Having it is a lot better indicator of your chances than a years worth of freeze dried food or thousands of rounds of ammo.
Amen brother

You asked what was in short supply during the last war.

Green Dye. They even had to make Lucky Strike ciggs switch to a white pack and give up their signature green.

So there you go stock up on Green dye.

Not just cigaroots - without green coloring nothing could be environmentally friendly

Last year I purchased 65 acres in Canada, next year I'll begin building my retirement home on it. In 9 years I'll be retiring up there and spending my days looking for ET, who I hope to appear before my kids bury me under the apple trees I'm planting. It would be dull and disappointing if it turns outs we're the smartest cookies in the box, so to speak.

Last year I purchased 65 acres in Canada, next year I'll begin building my retirement home on it. In 9 years I'll be retiring up there and spending my days looking for ET, who I hope to appear before my kids bury me under the apple trees I'm planting. It would be dull and disappointing if it turns outs we're the smartest cookies in the box, so to speak.

Interesting! Can you expand on that a bit? Things like what part of Canada, what you were ideally looking for/wanted in a property, What the costs are, what happens tax wise. Curious how far from town you are, how old you are VS closeness to medical care. Are you going to be farming? How far from your kids will you be? ETC

Best rule of thumb to follow is that in the instance that you need something, you immediately lose the luxury of having time to procure it. Better to have and not need in the immediate than the other way around.

The primary thing that keeps me from having property in B.C. is the restrictions on firearms - half the guns I own would not be allowed there and in either case neither the US nor Canada would make it easy to move the guns back and forth across the border like I would want to.

The primary thing that keeps me from having property in B.C. is the restrictions on firearms - half the guns I own would not be allowed there and in either case neither the US nor Canada would make it easy to move the guns back and forth across the border like I would want to.

That was an issue for me also. I have decided should things get that bad I'd have a perimeter up and should be able to acquire some semi auto center firearms from a couple of unfortunate souls. Should any dire situation be limited to the US, Canada kept the US out twice without a standing army and I'm sure they'd enjoy the opportunity to prove themselves again.

That was an issue for me also. I have decided should things get that bad I'd have a perimeter up and should be able to acquire some semi auto center firearms from a couple of unfortunate souls. Should any dire situation be limited to the US, Canada kept the US out twice without a standing army and I'm sure they'd enjoy the opportunity to prove themselves again.

It's not the US military you will have to worry about, it will be gangs whose origins will stretch from Central America to Canada itself. As soon as people get hungry civility goes right out the window. Make sure you have enough people to mount watches when it gets to that point.

For your outer perimeter I suggest silent systems that alert you, use solar power so it stays active when all other power fails. It will usually be a critter that trips it, so if you can observe via camera it will save the effort of verification. Closer in I'd suggest the noise makers that use blank 12 gauge shot shells, but load with buck instead at leg and ankle height. I'm not talking about normal conditions, but during WROL.

Does your property have an elevated position for over watch?

Not sure if these are legal in Canada, but a BAR in 308, 30-06, 7mm RM or 300 WM would make an excellent semi auto sniper rifle and game getter, they even have swappable box mags and are very accurate. It would be an ideal to part an intruder from his military style weapon. It will likely be harder to get the ammo than the rifle, so you might want to lay back some 5.56 and 7.62x39 in anticipation.

It's not the US military you will have to worry about, it will be gangs whose origins will stretch from Central America to Canada itself. As soon as people get hungry civility goes right out the window. Make sure you have enough people to mount watches when it gets to that point.

For your outer perimeter I suggest silent systems that alert you, use solar power so it stays active when all other power fails. It will usually be a critter that trips it, so if you can observe via camera it will save the effort of verification. Closer in I'd suggest the noise makers that use blank 12 gauge shot shells, but load with buck instead at leg and ankle height. I'm not talking about normal conditions, but during WROL.

Does your property have an elevated position for over watch?

Not sure if these are legal in Canada, but a BAR in 308, 30-06, 7mm RM or 300 WM would make an excellent semi auto sniper rifle and game getter, they even have swappable box mags and are very accurate. It would be an ideal to part an intruder from his military style weapon. It will likely be harder to get the ammo than the rifle, so you might want to lay back some 5.56 and 7.62x39 in anticipation.

These are my sentiments exactly and it's a good location where I'll see or hear them first and getting it is easier than getting out.

The GF and I have joked that the ideal, since she's Canadian and neither of us are up for leaving home country fulltime, would be to buy a parcel straddling the border, or two parcels directly adjacent, and either build a house on each, or just build straddling with a door on each country's soil and make sure the Arms Locker and Panic Room are on the US side.

Best rule of thumb to follow is that in the instance that you need something, you immediately lose the luxury of having time to procure it. Better to have and not need in the immediate than the other way around.

while I agree with this concept, spending a little time with my 'survival buddies' they have demonstrated flaws in my preparation and need for considerable alteration to my notion of 'need something'....

Agree they've accumulated considerable 'bush survival skills' beyond 'immediate needs' and their survival repertoire is extensive.

A working sharp blade, a reliable way to make fire, how to keep yourself warm & dry, basic essentials of how not to starve in the back country, are gifts they have tried to teach. As I grow older and fatter the flat lowlands secrete ever more of whatever ephemeral prostaglandin perfumes the air as the warm weather approaches.

The GF and I have joked that the ideal, since she's Canadian and neither of us are up for leaving home country fulltime, would be to buy a parcel straddling the border, or two parcels directly adjacent, and either build a house on each, or just build straddling with a door on each country's soil and make sure the Arms Locker and Panic Room are on the US side.

There is such a house somewhere on the eastern half of the US. I watched a news story about it last year/

Back to the original question which was what can anybody do to prepp for WW3? My answer is not much. Not much individual or families can do. But ... in the short and intermediate term lots of stuff can be addressed. Already posted.

It does matter as to what part of the nation you live in and how seriously you are prepping. Ideally a remote small farming community might have the best chance. About 500 to 1000 people? But that still leaves a lot of folks to feed and care for.

Smaller group size? About 100 to 200? Historically that seems to be about the ideal human group tribe size? The American Indian tribal groups come to mind. Living quick and close to the earth. Low technology. Works until you meet somebody stronger.

The big problem is that unless you are lucky or have chosen well, there will always be a bigger strong fish in the sea. Smaller group size? Just one or two extended nuclear families? About 25 people? But then losing somebody will be a rheumatic event.

Only one big family? About 10-12 members? If everybody can hunker down and just disappear for about 30 days this might work. Let the big die back occur. Stay absolutely hidden. Some night time recon? Maybe. One would have to be very quiet indeed.

World Wars have happened in the past. We in the USA were lucky. A different older era. Nowadays surviving a World War might be either very easy and fairly non eventful or it might be very short, dynamic, brutal, dangerous, painful and then fatal. Yikes.

Historically that seems to be about the ideal human group tribe size? The American Indian tribal groups come to mind. Living quick and close to the earth. Low technology. Works until you meet somebody stronger.

Long ago I was enmeshed in close study of Great Basin Indian tribes life style as compared to others of the Great West.

I learned the Paiutes had numerous points of social development of critical survival advantage. Until You Know Who Took Over.

Their culture was marked by neither permanent architecture nor artsy-craftsy products. They had no horses and walked everywhere. Their automonous clans were typically 8-26 size. According to the sources I studied at the time (circa 1968-70) they were the only example of true democracy on the continent: if the clan had a decision to make, all members were called to the circle to 'discuss and vote' on whatever action. If there was no agreement, no one went anywhere until everyone agreed. Perhaps more recent studies have found newer information. In any case, a tribe that relied on food sources controlled by seasons, weather variables enough to at times require stronger members to feed the weaker ones, such choices were pretty well known by everyone. In a society based on such close association with a hostile environment, 'security net' only went so far.

In our own society, I wonder how large a group could come to any such 100% agreed upon conclusion, once the baked beans and Little Debbies were gone.

Another charming bit of history of survival under strenuous circumstances, is the tale of the Sheepeater Indian War of Idaho 1879, last of the renegade tribes of the PNW.

While times/technology are not the same, the goal of survival is the point. The Western Tribes were prepared for living in the wilderness, but unprepared for the unforeseen wars with small pox and gun powder and bitcoin gold inspired madness.

In our far more complex society I wonder how many cooperative bricks can fall out of our wall of civilization before the building collapses.

Last Edited:
One thing you can bet on... with the military gradually restandardizing on PMAG, if those start seeing supply shortages it means they're teein' up for Sh*t To Get Real, real soon. Particularly the M3 with-window models.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top