JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Vote for your favorite 22lr target pistol and give your reasons why....

• Ruger MKII

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Ruger MKIII

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Ruger MKIV

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Browning Buckmark

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • High Standard

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters
Standard Auto. A natural tack driver. And now, this one stays in the safe.
P1010432_zps65bec0a7.jpg

This old MkI...I'd never put a scope on it, but if I did, I think it would shoot as accurately as a 10/22.
P1010819_zps6b42d3e0.jpg

This was Ruger's very first stainless .22 auto, a commemorative of the original Standard Auto, and the last of the Standard Auto's before the MkII was released.
GEDC0496.jpg

A MkII. This is now the one that gets shot regularly. And for two reasons. 1. It shoots really well. 2. It's stainless, so I don't have to be quite so anal about cleaning it every time I use it.
22644db5-b422-4606-90b4-815398904650_zpsedqsuvsx.jpg

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
The Sig Mosquito I like personally a full sized 22LR, yes they have a feed issue but some polishing and they work great. I also see these as becoming collectable since they are no longer made and were made in Germany. I have tried allot of 22lr pistols and I just like the way the SIG fits and how well it shoots.
iu[3].jpg

I'm going to go and shoot my new pistol (I bought saturday) today. I was busy replacing the timing belt and water pump on my son's new to him 1990 honda accord, or I would have had that baby at the range right after I bought it!!!!! I told my son, he's damn lucky I'm a nice guy...:D Kids come first though, as far as I'm concerned... I may post some pics of how my new pistol shoots... Finger crossed for a great shooter... The gunshop owner that sold it to me has been damn straight and honest with me. It was one of his personal pistols and he really didn't want to sell it, but he's a great guy and made it happen. He says it was one of his better shooting target pistols... Let's hope he wasn't lying..:D

I don't own a .22lr nor any ammo for one. I gave up on it a while back.
Over the years I have gotten rid of mine a few times. The problem was I would soon wish I had not and buy another. Lost track of how many 10-22's. Quite a while back I learned to just stop selling them. May not shoot one for a while but always come back to them. Especially if someone new wants to learn to shoot.

Awesome post Alex. I sure can relate, as I've been in the same boat. From now on, I'm hanging on to what I have. They don't require food and are cheap to store in the gunsafe..

My favorite right now is the 22/45 LITE Wife bought me a few Christmas's ago. Love the little gun. Often wish I had not sold my last HS HD Military. Now and then I longingly look at them and even at the price they bring now am tempted.

While I own a HS target model and its accurate as all get out.. Its more of a safe queen.. my favorite .22 plinker is the beretta 21A. Common, semi cheap, concealable. Easy to clean and it can consume a bunch of different ammo if you use the tip up barrel for single shots.. Ammo wise I can use: 22L, 22LR, 22shorts, 22 shot.

I only wish a 5" barrel was for sale. Something that I could swap out for more accurate plinking. But all in all, the 21A is an awesome pistol. However its my sacrificial lamb when I need quick loan cash from a pawn shop so I can use that money buy a new toy I cannot actually afford.

There is not much I haven't owned at one time or another. Although I've settled down with mostly Ruger, I have owned Colts, High Standard, and Browning .22's. I cannot fault any of them. One gun that does stand out, is the 622/2213/2206 series of S&W. Unconventional to many, I don't think I've owned any more reliable a pistol, and they were all extremely accurate.

One gun I've never owned, is a S&W Model 41. Kind've one of my Holy Grails, there's no reason I've not sought one out, as they do become available fairly regularly.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I picked up a mint in box model 41 at an estate sale and couldn't justify shooting it.
A well to do guy back East paid a pretty penny for it, just to add it to his collection.
I always wanted to see if it shot as nice as it looked.

Current fave is a Ruger MKIII Target (bull barrel). Has a front fiber sight and a wonderful Volquartsen trigger. So accurate and easy shooting, zero recoil and it never hangs up, even with cheap ammo. This is the gun I almost always put in the hands of new shooters - and I get big smiles every time.

Down the road, I'd like to add a MKIV as well as a Buckmark.

I will also add that while I don't have one currently, I have really enjoyed shooting the Taurus PT22 over the years.

Standard Auto. A natural tack driver. And now, this one stays in the safe.
View attachment 360377

This old MkI...I'd never put a scope on it, but if I did, I think it would shoot as accurately as a 10/22.
View attachment 360378

This was Ruger's very first stainless .22 auto, a commemorative of the original Standard Auto, and the last of the Standard Auto's before the MkII was released.
View attachment 360379

A MkII. This is now the one that gets shot regularly. And for two reasons. 1. It shoots really well. 2. It's stainless, so I don't have to be quite so anal about cleaning it every time I use it.
View attachment 360380

WAYNO.

Love those old standards that got Ruger started. First handgun I bought myself was one of those that was WELL used when I got it. I shot a boxcar load of .22 through it and beat it up for years. Finally someone talked me out of it. Still miss it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews