JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Vote for your favorite 22lr target pistol and give your reasons why....

• Ruger MKII

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Ruger MKIII

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Ruger MKIV

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Browning Buckmark

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • High Standard

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters
Ditto with ShootFirst! I like my Mosquito a lot! The previous owner, a member here, had some feeding issues it so he sent it back to Sig. They went all through it, and now it's a total reliability monster! Feeds anything, always ejects, pretty accurate! The DA is horrible on it, but the SA is pretty good. :)

Does it count before or after screaming, yelling and throwing my stock Sig Mosquito against the wall? If before, then another handgun. If after, then it has to be my VERY tuned up and NOW 100% reliable, (?) Sig Mosquito pistol. When the Elite Iron Echo 6 inch can is included things get very quiet.

You see and hear the hammer dropping. Then a quiet "POP". Then the slide cycling and then a "THUD" when the Cheapo Winchester Wildcat slug hits something solid. Repeat often. Much fun. But it was a long and difficult path to achieve the perfect function. Consider it a patient hobby endeavor.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

I took my grandson and my son and DIL to the club today, between the Sig Mosquito and a pair of 10/22's they shot over 600rnds of dirty, nasty, old, Thunderbolts! Now the Mosquito has the springs for high velocity rounds installed, (the skeeter comes with both;))! It doesn't matter, the pistol is so slicked up and reliable that it handles the low velocity rounds, with the high velocity springs easy as pie! SIG/Ruger 10/22's, no failures in 600+ rounds, today! :cool:

Hats off to the Pardini etc posting.
This is the type of targets I used to get with my old High Standard 10X, back when I could seen not only the target at 50' but the X ring as well.

312559-9433feead7a2e4f8ed0f403933dd07ec.jpg

With ever more abundant geezer vision I can do much better with a suitable red dot. My bull barrel HS Trophy and the (recent purchase) NIB RST5 Mk II both have red dots and are capable of great accuracy beyond what I can produce myself of late.
I use either as often as opportunity arises at the range. They work well for speed steel too.

M17-4 8 3/8" S&W is my best target revolver.

So many pistols, so little time.
Some day I'll find a way to post photos.

I've shot roughly 6 different 22 pistols since 2009. Browning Practical 5.5", Browning Hunter 7.25", Ruger Talo MKIII, Walther P22, don't recall what the other two were. My most reliable is the Browning Practical (1st year in production model). I swapped out the 5.5" barrel for more compact 4" so it's easier to carry as a backup while hiking. Even with caked up residue on the barrel face, it continues to function. It has over 5000 rounds through it and the only malfunctions have been the occasional bad ammo; which required a second strike to fire in most cases. The Buckmark Hunter has been equally reliable and I have a scope for it. If I recall, I replaced the firing pin assembly (pin, bock & spring) once in the Practical. However, choosing a revolver, S&W 617 6" or 4" would be my choice. I actually would like to shoot the new S&W Victory, looks a lot like the Buckmarks.

SmitKoWitz:
the 10 shot 617 4" is magnificent and great fun for such as Icore & speed steel. I am unable to get the actual groups as tight as the old 17 8 3/8" ; unsure whether artifact of the pistol or my own geezeritis affecting the groups.

Certainly worthy of attention in any case. I note they are still rather scarce in the used market.

SmitKoWitz:
the 10 shot 617 4" is magnificent and great fun for such as Icore & speed steel.

I have the 6" 617, it's incredible how accurate it is; even with my Shakiest Gun in the West hands :rolleyes: . . I wish they made a 22WMR version that held 8. The model 48 is nice, and so is the model 351, but barrel is too short. I'd buy a 351 if they offered a 3.5" barrel. I may look into a S&W 22LR kit gun purchase.

I checked out a Victory the other day. Damn nice pistol. I almost hit the buy button...:D[/QUOTE]

I have my Victory Model set up the way I like. Tandemkross trigger,
game changer comp, talon grips and Burris Fastfire. Liked the original
fiber optic rear sight hated to take it off.

DSC00120.JPG

I know mine is not a pistol. But, since I only have one handgun in .22 that's what my favorite is. It's a S&W 617-4 (pre-lock), 10 shot, 4 inch barrel. Picked it up last year for a good price. Didn't look like it had ever been fired. Did a quick clean job, a little white paint on the front sight, sighted it in for about 20 yards (plenty enough distance for me) .... all set for a good time. Oh, I also got 4 DS-10-Speed speed loaders for it and a holster.

Gotta say, it's mighty fun!:)

ps The 617-4 compliments my Marlin 39A Golden, 24 inch barrel, JM stamped made in 2007 (means made by Marlin before Remington bought them) I got 2 weeks ago. Even though it has the cross bolt safety and rebound hammer it hasn't had any problems and is really fun. I got a Speed-D 19 shot speed loader for it. Holds 152 rounds, 19+1 in the gun for a total of 172 rounds of fun. :)

Last Edited:
Ruger MkIII (not 22/45). I like the feel and function and it's accurate on a good day. The teardown is actually a feature for me..It's a range toy/pinker so the cleaning time is not an issue. I can field strip my GLock 22 in 4 seconds or so, the time to strip and clean the MkII is just part of a good day at the range..

I'm not voting, but I prefer .22 conversion kits. I normally only shoot .22 to work on specific skills, like present and fire from concealment, with my carry guns. So the conversion kits allow me to work those skills from the same holster I carry with, and the same trigger pull. The .22 conversion gives me better feedback than using snap caps. With snap caps I also have a tendency to get "sloppy" with my firing grip and the .22 gives just enough feedback to keep me from slacking.

I like the MK2 22/45 before the pita changes if the MK3. 22/45 purely for the grip.
I also think the Ruger Super single six is one of the best 22's ever.
SW 422 was a very reliable and light 22lr I loved.

I know there area bunch of good'uns out there but for me it's the Mk II. I've no interest in the newer ones at this point. I'm talking box stock here, but every Ruger I've owned will out shoot any Buckmark I've owned. I have a Single Six I've had since I was 12, it's still a shooter as well.
I am a fan of the .22 conversions and have been since I started shooting IPSC back in the 80's and later IDPA.For me they are a great training aid while helping to stretch the ammo budget.

My favorites are Ruger MK1, Browning Buckmark, And Ruger single six, in that order. The buckmark and MK1 are nearly equal but I like the feel of the Ruger better.

The Single Six is just one of those guns that everyone wants to shoot! DR

First time I've seen this thread and I filled in "other" and I'm guessing more than one person did for the same reason I did. You didn't have a box for the Smith and Wesson Model 41!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a few 22 pistols, shoot a 22/45 Hunter every day.....calling the dogs in if for no other reason, we have a Smith & Wesson that is a clone for my wife's 3" M60 357 that shoots fine. The Ruger is utilitarian and functions very well. I tried shooting a game called DJV in Germany with 70's model MK something..........the game requires quick magazine changes and the standard Ruger magazine release is miserable when trying to be used quickly. My best 22 is a Colt Woodsman target gun built in the late 50's. I owned and shot a S&W M41 that was also wonderful. The High Standard Military and Victory models are also world class.

Lots of .22 here:
#1 - HK416 Pistol (my favorite HD, accurate, fits accessories like laser, lights, optics, eats Stingers, and does not kill my neighbor)
#2 - SW43C Revolver (my favorite carry, 15oz light, 8 shots, very accurate at 10 yards, great sights)
#3 - Ruger MKIII (my favorite bug-out gun, fits in my backpack, has a 2x scope and hits the bulls-eye at 25yds, cleaning is an issue)
#4 - SW 1911 E series with an Advantage .22 conversion (my favorite plinker, just love the 1911 platform, just not for defense)
#5 - Ruger SP101 .22 (my favorite carry before I got the 43C)
#6 - Ruger SR22 (my favorite semi-automatic, fixed barrel, light-weight carry gun)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top