JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Vote for your favorite 22lr target pistol and give your reasons why....

• Ruger MKII

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Ruger MKIII

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Ruger MKIV

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Browning Buckmark

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • High Standard

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters
DSC06046.jpg
The bottom pistol is a .22LR conversion by Pachmayr with a GI frame.
It shoots pretty darn good and is fun to boot.
Andy

Sorry Cameron72. I just didn't think of the woodsman. I know they are damn good pistols. I should have also added the S&W 41 to the list as well...:oops:

The Sig Mosquito I like personally a full sized 22LR, yes they have a feed issue but some polishing and they work great. I also see these as becoming collectable since they are no longer made and were made in Germany. I have tried allot of 22lr pistols and I just like the way the SIG fits and how well it shoots.
View attachment 360404

Ditto with ShootFirst! I like my Mosquito a lot! The previous owner, a member here, had some feeding issues it so he sent it back to Sig. They went all through it, and now it's a total reliability monster! Feeds anything, always ejects, pretty accurate! The DA is horrible on it, but the SA is pretty good. :)

I wanted a MKI as a kid and finally decided to pull the trigger on a MKIII Hunter for $569. I picked it up and it just didn't feel right. One of the coolest .22 pistols made, but didn't like the balance or grip. It was then that I understood why they made the 22/45. Since I couldn't afford a Model 41, I bought a S&W Victory. Not the prettiest, but great balance and easy disassembly and modification possibilities. The fiber optics sights are great. I don't regret buying it and would recommend it to any in the group. Now I need to save up for a new Volquartsen barrel (ouch).

Alright guys, I spent about 4 hours at the range today. Excellent day, besides a little rain and small amount of wind. Pretty typical for this time of year though. Here are my Ruger mkII target pistols. Like I said earlier, I'm not a great pistol shooter. I rarely shoot them. More obsessed with my big boomers like my 338wm :D. Anyway, these little things seem to be shooting pretty good. These groups were shot at 25 yards at NRA 25 yard slow fire pistol targets. Get a load of those cheap 22lr rounds. Anyone have any of that Federal Champion 525 round box stuff they want to part with???? I am also glad my new pistol likes the federal automatch, since I recently bought about 6 boxes of the stuff :p. Here's my set-up and one of my favorite places to shoot. I wasn't even bothered today, except for a doe passing though the pit and the ribbit's from the frogs in a nearby pond. Pretty damn peaceful day really:

IMG_0993_zpsnyzt2abv.jpg
IMG_0992_zps8m46xa02.jpg
IMG_0996_zps0ylidsx3.jpg
IMG_0998_zpsd2j21p8w.jpg
IMG_0999_zpswajzv6hv.jpg
IMG_0997_zpsk8tsjif5.jpg
These are all 10 shot groups.

Damn sure no showing off here with these groups, but you can see it looks like it might have a preference for the cheap stuff. My kind of pistol!!!!!!!!:D

Last Edited:
I wanted a MKI as a kid and finally decided to pull the trigger on a MKIII Hunter for $569. I picked it up and it just didn't feel right. One of the coolest .22 pistols made, but didn't like the balance or grip. It was then that I understood why they made the 22/45. Since I couldn't afford a Model 41, I bought a S&W Victory. Not the prettiest, but great balance and easy disassembly and modification possibilities. The fiber optics sights are great. I don't regret buying it and would recommend it to any in the group. Now I need to save up for a new Volquartsen barrel (ouch).

I checked out a Victory the other day. Damn nice pistol. I almost hit the buy button...:D

I wouldn't mind getting in on the target .22 Berretta bandwagon. seem pretty neat.. barring the Olympic and other whatnot European pistols.. seems like it'd be a good "field pistol".. though I mainly use my 9mm for that and all.. for the last almost 40yrs.

th?id=OIP.m8zu1zricb8VVZIfPL5WZQEsDh&w=224&h=168&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

Any .22 pistol/revolver will be guaranteed fun to shoot. Once you figure out what kind of ammo it likes best, you can get good accuracy out of most of them. For best accuracy, most will shoot Standard Velocity (below 1100 fps) better than HV, but there are the odd exceptions. CCI Standard Velocity is widely available and reasonably priced.

Have owned many of those shown thus far. In terms of target accuracy, I like these (with adjustable TARGET sights and minimum 6" barrel length):

Top tier: Colt Woodsman Bullseye Match Target, S&W Model 41, Hi Standard Victor.
Second tier: Colt Woodsman Match Targets Series 2 and 3, Ruger MK II (mine has Volquartsen barrel, trigger, sights), most target grade Hi Standards, early Browning Medalist/Challengers, Beretta 89

Revolvers: S&W Model 17 (K-22 Masterpiece), Colt Officers Model Target/Officers Model Match

Not rich enough to have had an Euro-Olympic grade pistol.

Best values: Probably the Buckmarks, the S&W Victory, and the Rugers.

For even more fun: Try out one of the pistol sized reflex red dots with a smaller (2.5-3) MOA dot.

Last Edited:
From top left: Colt (Walther) 1911 .22 (not really set up like a 1911, the barrel is attached to the frame); Beretta Model 87 Target; Browning Buck Mark .22 Ultra Target and Smith & Wesson 622 stainless. As noted above, they're all fun to shoot. I've got a Sig .22 conversion kit for a "real 1911," I just need to find a cheap 1911 to put it on.

hYsNRt.jpg

I totally forgot about the M&P 22 pistol - I did sell mine a while back, but it was a great pistol - heck, it's even in my avatar!

Last Edited:
I have owned at least one of each on the OP list, but would still pick the H.S. H.D. targets any day. Still have two of them and they are stunningly accurate. One was a "kit" that came with three barrels and a missing forth slot in the box (suppressor) it's probably really rare, but I don't care, I still shoot the crap out of it! I also really like the Colt woodsman target series, but don't own one any more! The new Ruger MK-4 is a keeper and the wife really loves hers. I picked up years ago, a really nice Hammerli that drives tacks better then any other .22 pistol I have ever shot. They are gonna bury me with this one!
Now to finish my 2011STI .22lr build, Always loved the idea of a 1911 .22lr, but couldn't ever manage to find a good one when I have the fundage!
sig556-043.jpg

FOR TARGET....
I've tried others but have always gone back to my Mark III Hunter...It just fits me.
Although I would like to also have a Beretta 87 target...some day.
upload_2017-5-2_15-31-48.png

Last Edited:
FOR PLINKING...
22 Henry Mare's leg. Eats any brand from junk to the good stuff, 22lr to 22shorts. mix 'n' match whatever you got, never ever fails.... ever. Plinkin' awesome!

Introducing...."Stumpy", ( the 8th dwarf)
2djnux3.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads