JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Vote for your favorite 22lr target pistol and give your reasons why....

• Ruger MKII

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Ruger MKIII

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Ruger MKIV

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Browning Buckmark

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • High Standard

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters
On another note, I learned how to strip and reassemble this gun about the time I was 10. Makes me wonder what all the hype is about the MK4.

Nice eye candy guys. I love those old high standards. lilhigbee, I didn't know you had so many Ruger's :D. I have seen your mods and they are top notch man. Like I said in another thread, I'm prepping for that rimfire shoot. Had to go out and buy me an old slab side...:D Taking that red dot off and putting it back on my SS mkII target stripped out the cross bolt on the TRS25 mount....:mad:. Had to make a new crossbolt for it, so I'm back in business again, but don't want to take it off again...:confused: Easier to just buy another pistol for the iron sight part... I'm hoping the old slab side drives tacks. It was one of Don's personal pistols.... Had to twist his arm to get him to sell it to me..

Last Edited:
The bolt hold open would be nice for me, but it's a great way to see how the grandson is working the trigger. I count to nine, then watch. :D Let's just say I've seen a lot of experienced people yank harder on the trigger than my boy does.

orygun, I think we've all seen that before... I may even be guilty of doing it myself.. Maybe one of the reasons I got rid of my MKI...:D Hey, I'm being honest. I'm not the best pistol shooter...;)

Another poll, where my favorite gun might not match the one I shoot the most.

I voted "other" for a couple reasons. You did say pistol, or I might have said a revolver is my favorite.

I would vote Standard Auto or MkI if there had been that choice. Only because that's what I started out with. And ya know? I shot them better than the subsequent models. Is that because the originals were better shooters? Or is it because I shot better when I was younger?

Now, of Ruger's pistols, the one I shoot the most is my stainless MkII 5-1/2" bull barrel. If we included all .22 handguns, I shoot a Single Six and Bearcat more than anything.

WAYNO.

1968 Colt National Match pre Gold Cup lower, couple with an original 2nd generation piston style Colt Ace .22lr upper.
The combination of the National Match trigger/sear and the felt soft recoil of a 45 acp pistol while shooting 22lr is a joy.
The only downside is getting the right ammo that works with original magazines.
The slide at the bottom is the original Colt NM .45 acp that has a 9lb recoil spring and only shoots match target wad cutters.

colt 22 001.JPG

Last Edited:
That Colt National Match pistol was dug up out of the ground 2 years after my best friend died and his elderly widow wanted the cash that was buried with it.
I rented a metal detector and scanned the backyard till I found it buried three feet down in an old ammo can.
I couldn't believe my luck that it was in such great shape after being coated in axle grease and placed in a ziplock baggie.

Last Edited:
That Colt National Match pistol was dug up out of the ground 2 years after my best friend died and his elderly widow wanted the cash that was buried with it.
I rented a metal detector and scanned the backyard till I found it buried three feet down in an old ammo can.
I couldn't believe my luck that that it was in such great shape after being coated in axle grease and placed in a ziplock baggie.

:confused:o_O

Here's my second favorite .22 pistol.
It's a S&W model 2213 that's seldom seen and has the distinct advantage of having the barrel located below the recoil spring so the sights aren't obstructed by the suppressor. Aluminum frame with a stainless steel slide.

s&w 2213 001.JPG

Here's my second favorite .22 pistol.
It's a S&W model 2213 that's seldom seen and has the distinct advantage of having the barrel located below the recoil spring so the sights aren't obstructed by the suppressor. Aluminum frame with a stainless steel slide.

View attachment 360370
Ha, those are pretty neat. Ugly though. I've got a 4" 422 target sights.. I'll never sell it.

I have a S&W M-2206 Target, a 6" .22LR w/10rnd magazine. Mine's a 1990 version, that's first year production.
It's definitely my favorite .22 pistol, all stainless construction, the only plastic part on it is the magazine release! It's never failed on me, including the plastic mag release, just a hand full of FTF's or FTE's in the past 29yrs. It's really quite accurate. Smith calls it a target pistol, but I think that they're being a bit optimistic, there! For one thing, the rear sight is mounted on the slide, and while the slide is snug, the slide is not the optimum place to mount sights, when the front sight is mounted to a rigid barrel! On the other hand the trigger is excellent, no added travel or take up, crisp and sweet!
IMG_0911.JPG
As you can see we are taking a break from Tuna hunting! A very versital pistol! :D

PS: The barrel is screwed in and tensioned by a barrel nut on the front! All you need is a can and the adapter! :)

Tough to choose between the High Standard Victor and the S&W M41 but in truth the High Standard Trophy with the can and the Burris Fastfire sees the most usage lately. ;) Owned all three of these for 30 years or so. IMHO....nothing made today can compare with these old school gems.

View attachment 360354

View attachment 360355

View attachment 360356

Truth! Orygunner! I almost want to weep for selling my Hi-Standreds off! Those look in great condition! Much jealousy on the Victor!!! :)

PS: Nice photos too!

Last Edited:
It's a hoot to shoot. No muzzle flip to speak of with the low axis bore and the suppressor adapter fits the other three models just like it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top