JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Those of you running reputable systems, your feedback is appreciated.
There are a lot of brands out there. What brands are best for longevity of operation, consumer support, etc?

If you're thinking of having a security camera system installed, the topic may be of interest.

Outdoor Security System Requirements

DVR (Hard Wired)
Monitor Included (Optional)
Eight Camera Minimum (Up-To 16 Or More)
High Definition 1080p Or Higher
Night Vision / IR Compatible to 150ft
Cameras Will Be Mounted On Exterior Structure Under 36" Overhang

**Paid Security Monitoring By Another Agency To Alert Authorities, Is Not Wanted.**
**Online and/or Smart Phone, Ipad, Iphone Monitoring Not Wanted**

Last Edited:
I built a home made system using some off the shelf HiKVIsion and GW Security 5MP HD PoE IP cameras and used Ubuntu and ZoneMinder for the software.It gives you control of schedules, notifications, patrol zones for move-able cams and exclusion and resolution control of the cameras.

Make sure you have some of these for when the balloons go up and you lose electricity. Make sure you use blanks because buckshot could cause serious injuries to intruders ;)

upload_2017-9-26_17-3-3.jpeg

A different answer. Try the non expensive but effective stuff first? Always consider the legalities. Years ago we made a very efficient and cheap expedient perimeter system requiring no electricity or electronics. Passive. Good old mono thin low test fishing line, some old fashioned mouse traps, many empty soup cans and some time.

Mouse traps worked. Rat traps were better. We used whatever material that was already on hand.

This was before cheap cameras. The available cameras were the size of shoe boxes and expensive. No nite vision. No thermal vision. Some chunks of painted 2x6 studs and some 8 oz tomato sauce cans were fabbed into looking like cameras. Mounted in trees. Ankle and chest high fishing lines were hooked to the mouse traps. Trip wires.

I will NOT mention the fabbed fake claymore mines nailed to trees. I did not say that. Did I mention deep thick conifer forest?

Night time forest animal false alarms were common. The cameras and trip wires were not hooked to anything but the potential bad guys did not know that. Mind games. Seemed to work. Some of the trip wires were hooked to nothing. Just some resistance then the fishing line snapping. At night the mouse traps popping was very loud.

Our eventual only proven problem was our neighbor stealing firewood. Can you believe that? Scumvermin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top