JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Attributed to Edmond Burke

"Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject."
John Stuart Mill, 1867 inaugural address at the University of St. Andrews

At what point do we as a people put our foot down and say "enough!"?
Is it risky to intervene? Yes, but if all we do is watch and wait for others (the 'authorities') to act then we'll all go to our graves without anything improving. Civilization is supposed to be an ever-improving state of humankind. As I see it we have stagnated and are indeed regressing but doing it with modern tools. At some not-to-distant point a collapse is inevitable.

We all have choices, and we make those choices based on what we want our lives to be. For those who say they wouldn't go confront a bad situation armed, I'll say you better just stay inside and not even go out. Just let it happen and hope it's a one time thing, and if it isn't just watch your neighborhood go to heck.

We all have choices, and we make those choices based on what we want our lives to be. For those who say they wouldn't go confront a bad situation armed, I'll say you better just stay inside and not even go out. Just let it happen and hope it's a one time thing, and if it isn't just watch your neighborhood go to heck.
I don't think anybody said not to confront it armed. I believe it was more of a "don't confront it with your gun out". But most have too much to lose, ie their freedom to go around confronting every crackhead.

I go against the grain here in regards to jury duty...
I felt that it was my civic duty to be a part of a jury when called twice.
It is an important task...and one that needs to be taken seriously.
Andy
I also go when called. Of course it helps that I get paid to go. Still every time I am there I am left cringing thinking if I end up on the other side this is where my 12 will pull from. I wish ALL people with a conservative bent would not shrug off the call.

I also go when called. Of course it helps that I get paid to go. Still every time I am there I am left cringing thinking if I end up on the other side this is where my 12 will pull from. I wish ALL people with a conservative bent would not shrug off the call.
I can't believe how many don't show up.

My thought also is if I don't show up when called how can I expect a jury of my peers (people like me) to show up if I have a trial.
Let's face it Mike. Even if I show up to be on your jury, the other side will eliminate me before the trial starts: "So, Mr. Bobbygun. Are you or have you even been a member of the NRA?" "Yes." "Your honor. We request Mr. Bobbygun be removed from the pool." "Next!" :(

Let's face it Mike. Even if I show up to be on your jury, the other side will eliminate me before the trial starts: "So, Mr. Bobbygun. Are you or have you even been a member of the NRA?" "Yes." "Your honor. We request Mr. Bobbygun be removed from the pool." "Next!" :(
I don't know about that. I was asked if I own any guns? Yes. How many? 18. How many would be used for self defense? All of them if needed. They put me on the jury. What would get you disqualified would be if you admitted to knowing the defendant.

I don't know about that. I was asked if I own any guns? Yes. How many? 18. How many would be used for self defense? All of them if needed. They put me on the jury. What would get you disqualified would be if you admitted to knowing the defendant.
You know how many guns you have? I find guns that I forgot I had purchased :s0140:

Last time I went I came within one person of ending up on a panel for a real scumbag who had killed a guy during a robbery. The one question that got a few chuckles was from the County DA. He asked if I knew him. I said I voted for you if that counts. Defense still did not strike me after that. I have to "guess" I got so close due to me getting one lady kicked out of the whole process. Overheard her talking to another of the pool and thought no way in hell did I want to end up with her. So I asked to speak to the Judge and he had both lawyers there when I told them what the kook had been saying. I probably got her off the roll of people called for the rest of her life. :s0140:

I'm amazed you made the jury after admitting you had an arsenal like that. And, since you would never admit knowing me, I wouldn't admit knowing you either. :p

Honestly, I've been summoned a few times for a couple of different types of juries. Last time I think it was a grand jury. Other than answering a questionnaire online, I've never really made it to the part where they disqualify you in person. Due to various events, my number was too high, settled out of court, etc., I've never actually had to show up and be on a jury. It was pure speculation on my part that my conservative creds might get me dropped from consideration. But hey, if you made it to a jury, maybe I would too.

In all seriousness, I would worry about being on a jury with my poor hearing. It's not even so much what I might miss, so much as hearing something that wasn't actually what was said. :eek:

Reality is: I am more worried about everyone is a victim.
If you are for what ever defending yourself within the crazy people?
This is how it goes sideways.
Is that pray to god if you are white, that the cray cray is not.
Or just go straight to jail don't pass go.

I have spent my whole life on a swivel, I have had since Obummer had to
incorporate avoiding problem areas. I avoid Portland and other left towns like the plague.
Simply not worth the hassle.

Argus

I don't think anybody said not to confront it armed. I believe it was more of a "don't confront it with your gun out". But most have too much to lose, ie their freedom to go around confronting every crackhead.
As I said in my first post on this topic, I did not approach with my gun out. But I did take it out and keep it low beside me, in my hand as I knocked on the druggie's window. Why would it be a good idea to have a carry gun, and keep it holstered when approaching this situation? I'm not going to give somebody the opportunity to possibly raise their gun while I try to draw my own. But I also didn't want to be accused of brandishing if this whack job drove off and maybe called the cops himself. So keeping it at ready, but out of sight gave the best advantage, IF I had needed it.

If the consensus is you should have a carry gun, and legal carry permit, but you should never carry it, or only carry it holstered when a situation might require it, then why have a carry permit, or a carry gun? Might as well just stay inside and hope somebody else takes care of problems for you. And don't bother ever going anywhere with your legal carry gun because if you ever have to use it you may end up in court being charged with an offense, or at the least in civil court paying an attorney to defend you.
I'm not a vigilante, or a cowboy, and I don't relish the opportunity to use my carry gun. But as I've said repeatedly, I'm not going to let my neighborhood end up like so many neighborhoods have because the police and neighbors sat there and watched it happen. Everyone can choose to do nothing, or do something. I wont make that decision for anyone, and I wont let someone else make it for me.

Last Edited:
As I said in my first post on this topic, I did not approach with my gun out. But I did take it out and keep it low beside me, in my hand as I knocked on the druggie's window. Why would it be a good idea to have a carry gun, and keep it holstered when approaching this situation?
I'm sorry, but how is that not approaching a crackhead with your gun out? You do you, but you're asking for George Zimmerman or Kyle Rittenhouse trouble with your actions.

How will the DA paint your picture after you smoke the crackhead when you approached his car on a public road with your smoke wagon already out? They're going to call you a vigilante hell-bent on street justice.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews