JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cost of taking items to the local solid waste disposal facility is far beyond reasonable. Fortunately, my family can occasionally afford this cost, but many can not. I recently took only a mattress, a box spring and one bag of kitchen garbage (you could easily fit it all in the back of a Subaru with plenty of room left over). The cost: $90.25
Yeah, mattresses drive up the cost of disposal because they are bulky. King Co., $33 per piece according to the fee schedule. So that's $66 of your $90 fee. If you'd had only regular trash in the Suburu, it probably would've cost the $30 minimum.

In Snohomish Co., the fees are about one third lower than King Co. For example, the 320 pound minimum costs an even $20 here, vs. the $30. I can fill my 72 Ford Ranch Wagon and usually come under the minimum, unless there is a bunch of construction wood waste in there which bumps it into the per ton fee schedule and then it's usually about $35 +/-.

Here there is a non-profit that recycles mattresses and box springs, they have a fee schedule by size. The biggest (queen, king) cost $25 per piece. But twins are I think $10.

They should do what cheap people like me do... throw away stuff little by little in various dumpsters across town, not staying long enough to arouse suspicion
I have regular weekly trash pickup here out by my road. 32 gallons of regular trash weekly, 96 gallons of yard waste weekly, and 96 gallons of recycling bi-weekly. For this service, I pay about $110 per quarter or $440 per year. And believe me, my carts are never less than 98% full. I don't like paying for wasted capacity. There have been times that I've had to be pretty artful dissecting large objects into sizes small enough to fit into that 32 gallon cart.

And it would be big enough for coyotes to transit thru. And when they dig up the compost pile and a human bone shows up on the road next to your property and that nice couple who walk it every morning finds it, they will call the police. And that starts the DNA testing, neighborhood cam canvassing, and then pretty soon you are answering a knock at your door.

The problem started at "shallow". :)
Oh, I didn't mention the wood chipper, and new concrete party pad and youth center….

Stomper does what needs doin'….. :D

In reading some of the other online articles about this, a bit more light was shed on the stolen U-Haul truck. It seems the other people who were out there dumping and were caught doing so by the victim have come forward as witnesses. Probably because as it turns out, the emptying out of the stolen truck was a sorting job. Which I took to mean, they stole the truck WITH CONTENTS. The following wasn't said in the article. BUT: If they were brought up on charges re. the stolen truck, this would be incentive to testify.
When a homicide is committed while participating in a felony, all involved in the crime can be charged, not just the trigger man. In this case the felony is the stolen uhaul, not the dumping. Could be wrong, but guessing they stepped forward to save their own skin.

With all due respect, this statement almost falls into the category of making excuses for criminal behavior.

One of the principle causes of folks that participate in these blatant criminal actions (i.e., the guy walking out the door of Fred Meyer with armloads of liquor and ribeyes without paying) is the fact that they know that no one will confront them.

At what point do the people stand up for what's right?
Politicians create the environment for crime to thrive in, right now they are turning the entire country into a ghetto with 10 million illegals to fill our slums.

Crime will explode as the desperate seek ways to live.

It sounds great to Monday morning quarterback situations that go wrong, and we can all find fault in decisions made after the fact. But the reality is if you like where you live, and you hate people making a mess of it; you also know that the police will rarely be there when you call them.
We'd love to just make a call and have an officer show up in a timely fashion, but when someone is destroying your property, or turning your neighborhood into a dump, it's tough to just standby and watch it happen. And if you do it's likely that person, or others will soon return to do it again. And when this becomes habitual your once nice, clean area you enjoy will become THE PLACE for everyone who knows they can dump their trash and nobody will stop them.
It's terrible that this man lost his life, but I completely understand him wanting to put a halt to this in his area and knowing calling the cops wouldn't take care of the problem. Yes, he should have been more careful, and could have done things differently. But he did try to do what he could to stop this for himself and the neighborhood too.

It sounds great to Monday morning quarterback situations that go wrong, and we can all find fault in decisions made after the fact. But the reality is if you like where you live, and you hate people making a mess of it; you also know that the police will rarely be there when you call them.
We'd love to just make a call and have an officer show up in a timely fashion, but when someone is destroying your property, or turning your neighborhood into a dump, it's tough to just standby and watch it happen. And if you do it's likely that person, or others will soon return to do it again. And when this becomes habitual your once nice, clean area you enjoy will become THE PLACE for everyone who knows they can dump their trash and nobody will stop them.
It's terrible that this man lost his life, but I completely understand him wanting to put a halt to this in his area and knowing calling the cops wouldn't take care of the problem. Yes, he should have been more careful, and could have done things differently. But he did try to do what he could to stop this for himself and the neighborhood too.
Most people's Dickens drill is to poop their pants and hide.

We caught a guy getting ready to dump a load up in an area we frequent. He was backed up to the edge getting ready to climb in the bed of the truck. Sat there and watched from a small distance, took his picture and called the sheriff's office. After a couple minutes went down the side road turned around and waited a few. Came back to where he was and he was gone. Since the area has limited side roads we found him again. After 3 roads of cat and mouse he finally headed down the main road and out. Probably a little crazy but it worked and we never did interact with the person. The deputy did pass the person on the main road leading to the area. The load was still in the back of his truck.

Most people's Dickens drill is to poop their pants and hide.
Yes, and I understand most people will not take action. I'm certainly not encouraging that for everyone. But I've had issues in our neighborhood that required somebody to act, and I will continue to do so, but with caution, and preparedness.
I had a guy park right across the street from our house every few days over two weeks, as I watched him light up a glass bowl of drugs in his van.
The 3rd time I watched this happen I called 911 and reported it. Then knowing the police would likely arrive late, if at all, I grabbed my carry gun and went out to approach the van. As I walked up to the driver's door the guy was oblivious to my presence, and wrapped up in getting high. I took my pistol out of my holster and kept it low where he couldn't see it. I banged hard on his door glass, and he about crapped his pants when he looked out and saw someone there. I told him I'd just called the cops, and they were on their way. I added that if I ever saw him stop in my neighborhood I'd call the cops the second his van showed up, so he better find another place to get high.
He shot off like a rocket powered his van, and has never returned. Had I simply called the cops and not reacted myself, he'd still be coming back. The police never arrived from my 911 call, so it was a waste of time. It was necessary to make the call first, but I suspected they'd not respond.

We'd love to just make a call and have an officer show up in a timely fashion, but when someone is destroying your property, or turning your neighborhood into a dump, it's tough to just standby and watch it happen.
Monday or Friday its a simple choice. Yes in many places calling the Cops will get nothing. Know what else will seldom get good results? Getting out of your vehicle and confronting strangers. People can make all the excuses for this they wish it will not bring this guy back. Hopefully others may stop and think, is trying to stop the mess worth ruining your life? You do realize that if he went armed and shot one of the scum he still would most likely end up in a world of hurt. So does not matter what day it is, people need to use common sense and remember the real world we all live in right now. Sad reality.

Didn't he get run over by a pickup? What, was he running down the middle of the road like that meme girl running away from chasing grizzly bears with her ice cream cone?

Monday or Friday its a simple choice. Yes in many places calling the Cops will get nothing. Know what else will seldom get good results? Getting out of your vehicle and confronting strangers. People can make all the excuses for this they wish it will not bring this guy back. Hopefully others may stop and think, is trying to stop the mess worth ruining your life? You do realize that if he went armed and shot one of the scum he still would most likely end up in a world of hurt. So does not matter what day it is, people need to use common sense and remember the real world we all live in right now. Sad reality.
So it's better to do nothing and just let people turn your neighborhood into what they want it to be? Sorry, but I'm not going to allow this to happen in my neighborhood. You can tell me you told me so on Monday.

hope that steady dose starts to fluctuate a little when someone tries to open an airplane's door at 30000 feet....
Nope. I'd continue sipping on my bloody mary and eating my pretzels and stay away from the airline staff while said dillweed gets a physics lesson trying to fight against 3+ tons of wind force.

I believe most doors these days have elevation locks that disallow such a thing anyway.

Given how little I fly, it's not even a microscopic concern for me.

Nope. I'd continue sipping on my bloody mary and eating my pretzels and stay away from the airline staff while said dillweed gets a physics lesson trying to fight against 3+ tons of wind force.

I believe most doors these days have elevation locks that disallow such a thing anyway.

Given how little I fly, it's not even a microscopic concern for me.
More people choke to death on pretzels than smug so you're safe.

When the community reaches a place where this happens its a result of who they elected not the lack of individuals who might intervene when they see things go down.

Did evil people become more bold on their own, or did a permissive society embolden them? Good question. But now that we are in this mess, it explains in part why stores don't want to confront thieves and shoplifters.
A permissive society emboldened them. If stores have a higher risk of prosecution for intervening in shoplifting thats a result of whose elected and other trends to protect the criminals and not the victims.

"ill-legal dumping" is in the mind of the dumpee. It is a mindset that traverses ALL economic and societal segments of 'society'! And it has been ongoing for decades if not centuries! As a youngster, I saw many garbage dumps in creeks, ravines and alongside roads and highways. Saw trash being ejected from RV motorhomes and other high end vehicles. Garbage stuffed down campground toilets and the list goes on and on. So, while it may be disgusting, it is NORMAL human behavior on the part of many in so-called 'civilized' society! Where does all the 'roadside trash' come from?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top