JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is wise to consider the consequences , both actual and potential for any action you wish to undertake.
And while stepping up and doing what is right....is needed and important...
You also gotta do what is right for you...which may be something else entirely.
Andy
L84Cabo:
It just isn't worth it. I hate illegal dumpers too and especially if it's in your neighborhood or on your land. But the question is, are they just illegally dumping or are they violent criminals trying to get rid of evidence? Or are they straight crazy? Most people wouldn't even consider that it might be criminals trying to ditch evidence or a full blown nut job.

But with that said, it's a whole lot harder to not get involved if someone is dumping on your actual land.

Choose wisely and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Sadly, both of you are correct. It used to be virtuous to stand up for what is right and do the right thing - even when it meant confronting those doing wrong. Now it is just risky and unwise, even for those who can handle themselves in a confrontational situation. Right and wrong used to be a lot more black and white (no pun or inference intended). Today, your adversary, no matter how sketchy and what is in their past, will have no problem finding an attorney who will ruin your life, and a jury who will side with the unfortunate "victim". And there will likely be a DA who will prosecute you just for the publicity and career advancement - especially in western WA.

We as a society have come to the point where survival and the continued pursuit of happiness depends on staying invisible and away from any conflict. Because there are video cameras and cell phone cameras everywhere, your actions will be scrutinized and motives assigned by the media and prosecution. One used to be judged by the "reasonable man" defense where reason was tightly aligned with a pretty universally accepted code of conduct and right-vs-wrong. Now the "reasonable man" is one who retreats at all cost and leaves dealing with anti-social behavior to law enforcement whether they are present or not.

The odds are now stacked against you, especially if you are on the wrong side of race or ethnic relations. And don't think for a moment that the solution is taking the illegal dumpers to the "train station" on your property. Their vehicle is on half a dozen neighborhood and doorbell cameras and sooner or later someone will come looking for them.

So almost everyone everywhere can be counted on to stand idly by and watch illegal activities happen without intervening. Which along with the revolving door of jail and the courts, is exactly what is emboldening criminals to escalate their behavior to broad daylight.

So stay invisible until you can't.

Just an opinion but I think the high cost of living has a great deal to do with the crazy crap and the crime.

$90 a month for garbage pick up so a lot of people just can't afford the bill. Gasoline goes up and more gas thefts, cars go up and more cars are stolen, food goes up and shoplifting goes up.

The culture turns to crime when the cost of living goes up.

Bet they still have money for smokes, beer, weed, cable TV, and a monthly cellphone plan with unlimited data…..

It just isn't worth it. I hate illegal dumpers too and especially if it's in your neighborhood or on your land. But the question is, are they just illegally dumping or are they violent criminals trying to get rid of evidence? Or are they straight crazy? Most people wouldn't even consider that it might be criminals trying to ditch evidence or a full blown nut job.

But with that said, it's a whole lot harder to not get involved if someone is dumping on your actual land.

Choose wisely and may the odds be ever in your favor.
If I had enough land that people would be disposed to dumping their garbage on it and I caught 'em….. then it's big enough to make a couple shallow "compost piles" on.

;) :D

In 1958, Robert Welch, heir to the Welch's juice fortune, formed an organization to combat the spread of communist ideology during the cold war. He was asked what Americas' primary threat was. His reply:

"Moral decline"

If I had enough land that people would be disposed to dumping their garbage on it and I caught 'em….. then it's big enough to make a couple shallow "compost piles" on.

;) :D
And it would be big enough for coyotes to transit thru. And when they dig up the compost pile and a human bone shows up on the road next to your property and that nice couple who walk it every morning finds it, they will call the police. And that starts the DNA testing, neighborhood cam canvassing, and then pretty soon you are answering a knock at your door.

The problem started at "shallow". :)

And it would be big enough for coyotes to transit thru. And when they dig up the compost pile and a human bone shows up on the road next to your property and that nice couple who walk it every morning finds it, they will call the police. And that starts the DNA testing, neighborhood cam canvassing, and then pretty soon you are answering a knock at your door.

Yotes don't carry food towards the road, they carry away.
We got plenty out here.

The culture turns to crime when the cost of living goes up.
With all due respect, this statement almost falls into the category of making excuses for criminal behavior.

One of the principle causes of folks that participate in these blatant criminal actions (i.e., the guy walking out the door of Fred Meyer with armloads of liquor and ribeyes without paying) is the fact that they know that no one will confront them.

At what point do the people stand up for what's right?

I have "mentioned" to a coupe people who were problems, " I have a backhoe and a lot of land that will not be developed until LONG after I am gone". They seemed to get the point :s0140:

In reading some of the other online articles about this, a bit more light was shed on the stolen U-Haul truck. It seems the other people who were out there dumping and were caught doing so by the victim have come forward as witnesses. Probably because as it turns out, the emptying out of the stolen truck was a sorting job. Which I took to mean, they stole the truck WITH CONTENTS. The following wasn't said in the article. BUT: If they were brought up on charges re. the stolen truck, this would be incentive to testify.

Until there's some proper discipline and accountability for the criminals why would or will it change?
IMG_1845.jpeg

With all due respect, this statement almost falls into the category of making excuses for criminal behavior.

One of the principle causes of folks that participate in these blatant criminal actions (i.e., the guy walking out the door of Fred Meyer with armloads of liquor and ribeyes without paying) is the fact that they know that no one will confront them.

At what point do the people stand up for what's right?
While I understand you have to remember in the world we live in now you have to be VERY careful here. Yes it sucks to watch scum walk out with a cart full of stuff free because I then have to pay for it. Would I love to pound them down and take the stuff back to the store? Hell yes. Do I ? No. Reason is it would mean very possibly ruining my life when it was over. Sadly this is what a LOT of people keep voting for so the rest of us have to live with it. I sure as hell don't like it but, I am also not going to risk everything I have to try to stop it. People need to feel a LOT more pain to make a lot more of them decide they want change.

A steady dose of minding my own florking business reduces the chances encounters with the unstable populace for me.

I have no expectation that I'm going to chance someone's mind on their behavior. That was for their Mother & Father to sort out.
I hope that steady dose starts to fluctuate a little when someone tries to open an airplane's door at 30000 feet....
If everyone around will pile-up on any criminal or wrong doer out there every time they act up.....there will be less crime.
But I am not holding my breath, especially since the new trend is to protect the criminals and punish the victims.

I don't condone illegal dumping, but I find it extremely easy to understand why it happens...
The cost of taking items to the local solid waste disposal facility is far beyond reasonable. Fortunately, my family can occasionally afford this cost, but many can not. I recently took only a mattress, a box spring and one bag of kitchen garbage (you could easily fit it all in the back of a Subaru with plenty of room left over). The cost: $90.25
At some nearby transfer stations the cost would have increased to $97.03

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top