JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can call it whatever you like, but you're still lucky that your situation that you'd happily repeat didn't go south. Oregon is clear when you can use deadly force, and your situation is solidly on the wrong side. Like I said earlier, you do you.
I don't think that having a legal right to carry, and telling someone to go do drugs elsewhere add up to use of deadly force. And had he escalated things to deadly levels, I can't see how I wouldn't have the right to defend myself.
I just hope that if that ever happened you wont be on the jury.

Wasn't judging mm93 just stating the obvious. Just it was fortunate that that scenario played out the way it did. Could've of very easily went south.

And the doing drugs in public is full on not enforced. No cop in the Willamette Valley is going to arrest a homeless/vagrant doing drugs in broad daylight.

I don't think that having a legal right to carry, and telling someone to go do drugs elsewhere add up to use of deadly force. And had he escalated things to deadly levels, I can't see how I wouldn't have the right to defend myself.
That's the problem. People that are sympathetic to your plight most likely won't be on the jury. They'll look like this:
Screenshot_20231120_171231.jpg

What you're failing to see is that in the situation you described, by approaching the vehicle with your weapon already drawn, YOU were the aggressor. HE would be the one with the self defense claim had he responded to your presence with force.

Call the cops. Let them do what you're paying them for.

What you're failing to see is that in the situation you described, by approaching the vehicle with your weapon already drawn, YOU were the aggressor. HE would be the one with the self defense claim had he responded to your presence with force.

Call the cops. Let them do what you're paying them for.
Did you not read my original post? I did call the cops, and they never came to the scene.
I guess I need to say this over and over. I did not approach his van "gun drawn". I approached his van with my legal carry gun holstered, and once I was beside his van I drew my firearm in case he was armed. Not to be the aggressor, but to be prepared.
I'm not failing to see anything. I went there with the intent to tell him to move along, but prepared to defend myself if I had to. That doesn't mean if he flinched, or stepped out I was planning to shoot. It means had he drawn a weapon I was prepared to defend myself.
You and all those who'd call this being "the aggressor" are free to volunteer for my jury and convict me.

Yes, and I understand most people will not take action. I'm certainly not encouraging that for everyone. But I've had issues in our neighborhood that required somebody to act, and I will continue to do so, but with caution, and preparedness.
I had a guy park right across the street from our house every few days over two weeks, as I watched him light up a glass bowl of drugs in his van.
The 3rd time I watched this happen I called 911 and reported it. Then knowing the police would likely arrive late, if at all, I grabbed my carry gun and went out to approach the van. As I walked up to the driver's door the guy was oblivious to my presence, and wrapped up in getting high. I took my pistol out of my holster and kept it low where he couldn't see it. I banged hard on his door glass, and he about crapped his pants when he looked out and saw someone there. I told him I'd just called the cops, and they were on their way. I added that if I ever saw him stop in my neighborhood I'd call the cops the second his van showed up, so he better find another place to get high.
He shot off like a rocket powered his van, and has never returned. Had I simply called the cops and not reacted myself, he'd still be coming back. The police never arrived from my 911 call, so it was a waste of time. It was necessary to make the call first, but I suspected they'd not respond.
While I very much doubt this is really happening, more likely nice watering hole tales. If you really are acting like this you are begging to have your life turned upside down. Get "caught" doing stupid 💩 like this you will end up no longer being able to own a gun any more. That will be the best possible outcome to this kind of foolish behavior.

Did you not read my original post? I did call the cops, and they never came to the scene.
Call again. And again and again and again.

I guess I need to say this over and over. I did not approach his van "gun drawn". I approached his van with my legal carry gun holstered, and once I was beside his van I drew my firearm in case he was armed. Not to be the aggressor, but to be prepared.
Doesn't matter, YOU drew first and approached his vehicle. YOU were the aggressor.

I'm not failing to see anything. I went there with the intent to tell him to move along, but prepared to defend myself if I had to.
And I suppose you expected him to just bow to your authority and do as you say? Why would you believe he would give a damn about you telling him to do anything, unless drawing was actually more of an intimidation tactic, which again, make you the aggressor.

That doesn't mean if he flinched, or stepped out I was planning to shoot. It means had he drawn a weapon I was prepared to defend myself.
But you're wrong about the application of defense. HE would be the one defending himself.

You and all those who'd call this being "the aggressor" are free to volunteer for my jury and convict me.
No thanks.

Going with the idea that...."people are more crazy than ever"....

Something to consider here is perspective....
You know what you are doing and why....
But appearances and perspective , as in how others view you and your actions matter.
What they see in what you are doing may be wildly different , than your intent.

Also getting back to the crazy....
You can't reason with unreasonable people.
Andy

Call again. And again and again and again.
This is what my local cops tell me. The more paper you put on a specific individual (or vehicle), the faster they move up the priority ladder. When some tweakers parked an RV blockingn my driveway, after I called it in I shared the case number with my entire neighborhood and told them when they called about those particular walking crap-stains in the future to mention that case number.

Haven't seen them again in a year and a half now... Fire Missions CAN work, people. It helps immensely if you have multiple complainants, though.

This is what my local cops tell me. The more paper you put on a specific individual (or vehicle), the faster they move up the priority ladder. When some tweakers parked an RV blockingn my driveway, after I called it in I shared the case number with my entire neighborhood and told them when they called about those particular walking crap-stains in the future to mention that case number.

Haven't seen them again in a year and a half now... Fire Missions CAN work, people. It helps immensely if you have multiple complainants, though.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Very often when I hear multiple gun shots I listen. If they get one call? It goes out as "hey if you happen to drive by the place take a look." If they get multiple calls? Now it becomes several are sent to see. Same with a call that someone is trying to prowl your home. First thing they ask is are you armed? If you say yes your call becomes FAR more important. Just the way life works.

Luckily for me....we are close to the same age...so I don't have that issue with her.... :D
However....I always had the hots for Grace Slick....who was born in 1939..the same year as my mom....LOL
Andy
That voice... craazy!

We saw Jefferson Starship (Great Society/Airplane) play in Myrtle Beach a while back now.

Don't remember who sang with them then (?Cathy Richardson). However, whoever it was did a pretty danged close cover for Grace Slick.

Good time!

That voice... craazy!

We saw Jefferson Starship (Great Society/Airplane) play in Myrtle Beach a while back now.

Don't remember who sang with them then (?Cathy Richardson). However, whoever it was did a pretty danged close cover for Grace Slick.

Good time!
Holy cow! She could be my Grandma, but man! That voice!

Just to be clear, legally speaking there is no issue with asking the crackhead to move along. The issue is having a drawn weapon while doing so. Now, if the crackhead tells you to go pound sand, he's not on your private property so there isn't much you can do about it. You don't own the street. Maybe break out a flashlight and light up the car from the safety of your porch... It's nonthreatening and annoying as hell, so they'll probably leave.

Just to be clear, legally speaking there is no issue with asking the crackhead to move along. The issue is having a drawn weapon while doing so. Now, if the crackhead tells you to go pound sand, he's not on your private property so there isn't much you can do about it. You don't own the street. Maybe break out a flashlight and light up the car from the safety of your porch... It's nonthreatening and annoying as hell, so they'll probably leave.
Well that'd just being rational.

Why not roll the dice like the guy in Portland?

Color me silly, but I don't think it's going to go the way that he thinks it will in court.
Oh no, lol.

When I posted this article I was referencing the fact that the dude that got shot to death was needlessly trying to play Dad to another grown man.

As others have mentioned I can't but help he laid there dying think "well that wasn't worth it"

That whole machismo attitude of "I ain't no b****" is not worth having to shoot someone or being shot by someone.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top