JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Toy Guns Becoming A Criminal Offense

DETROIT (WWJ) – State lawmakers are currently reviewing legislation that targets the use of certain toy guns. A planned proposal before the Senate would make it a crime to possess a toy gun that has its required markings removed or by having a real gun that is made up to look like a toy.

State Senate Republican Rick Jones said that this has become a major problem, especially within the gang community. “People are taking imitation firearms that look real, cutting off the orange end and then threatening people,” he said.

Supporters of the proposed legislation have also cited a recent case where a police officer was forced to shoot a gang member who was aiming a toy gun without its required markings. Jones believes this proposal will be vital in preventing incidents such as this from occurring in the future.

“This is an important package to control this problem,” Jones said.

If the legislation is passed, people who possess these toy guns and use it to commit a felony, would be punishable for up to 18 months behind bars and be subject to fines.

If a gangbanger wants to get into a gunfight with a toy gun, what's the problem? I don't get it. :huh:

If I recall correctly, an armed guard was once held hostage and had his firearm removed with a highlighter to the back of the head. They then proceeded to rob the bank with a real gun. With that being said, if a gangbanger has no fear of immediate consequences, but chooses to use fear as means of intimidation- with a real or fake firearm. The person on the receiving end would not stop to think(presumably), "hey, this might be a toy gun", "or that IS a toy gun (but it was real)". Now go a little further down the hole and imagine what they can do to a female, or male, in depravity and in fear of their life. I would hate to be an officer living with the guilt of a toy gun vs a life...mine or theirs.

I get your logic too, but it is an obvious way around the law as it currently stands.

Didn't John Dillinger break out of Jail using a carved wooden gun?

Yeah. Dillinger broke out of lockup a couple of times.
Hyde Park Media - John Dillinger

What they don't wish to talk about is that on March 3, 1934, while awaiting trial for the alleged murder of an East Chicago policeman, John Herbert Dillinger, the most notorious outlaw in the nation at the time, reportedly took command of Sheriff Holley's heavily armed jail, using a toy gun whittled from the top of a wooden washboard and coated with black shoe polish. In the process he locked up 33 people, including the warden and a dozen deputies.
dilleng%5B1%5D.jpg
Dillinger poses with a toy gun.

Jones believes this proposal will be vital in preventing incidents such as this from occurring in the future.
Jones needs a reality check if he thinks a little orange plug in the barrel of a toy gun is going to save a life.

I'll revise the first paragraph to make it accurate:

DETROIT (WWJ) – State lawmakers are currently realizing this is an election year and they haven't done anything notable. Therefore they are going to try to pass a worthless ineffective law to make it seem as though they actually accomplished something. Since perceived security as the expense of liberty is so en vogue these days, this may just be the tipping point to get votes from the dumbest of the citizens and reelect these boobs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top