JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is my understanding that once a FFL processes a Form 4473 they have officially brought it into their "books" and is now responsible for the firearm until BGC is cleared and released to the buyer. So there should not be any instance where the seller would walk away with the item until the Form 4473 is cleared. FFL could get fined or lose their license over this. Correct me if I am wrong?

It is my understanding that once a FFL processes a Form 4473 they have officially brought it into their "books" and is now responsible for the firearm until BGC is cleared and released to the buyer. So there should not be any instance where the seller would walk away with the item until the Form 4473 is cleared. FFL could get fined or lose their license over this. Correct me if I am wrong?
My guess is they are not entering it into their books. Imagine if you were at a gun show and had buyer do a background check to buy your firearm. You would not legally be able to hand over that firearm for at least 3 days.

with Measure 114 mess they've literally forcing people to go back to private sales between two parties. Which I have zero problem with.
1. Your serial number to your gun shouldn't be in a registry anyways, that's illegal
2. What two grown adults do is not the business of the govt especially when it comes to the 2nd amendment and the most dangerous person to the 2nd ammendment isn't the Left , its the gun owners who keep bowing down to every incremental infringement.
3. You create a bill of sale with serial number signed by both parties showing transfer of ownership with a copy of drivers license number, in the case the fire arm ever needs to traced back to the FFL that sold it and it's yours you have proof of whom you sold it to , when you sold it, and where that person can be found.
Making people have to pay FFL transfer fees and BGC fees is asinine !!!!

I'm thinking about placing an ad in classified for my glock 23. Just wondering how the selling process would go.

Once a deal/price is agreed upon do folks generally meet at an ffl and do deal there since a bgc has to be done?

Does seller get cash and buyer has to leave firearm at ffl I'd assume until bgc is complete?

Does buyer or seller pay ffl for services or is it generally split. I'd guess seller pays ffl and buyer pays for their bgc?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Just read the NEF regulations and guidelines. They spell it out pretty clear. In short over communicate.

with Measure 114 mess they've literally forcing people to go back to private sales between two parties. Which I have zero problem with.
1. Your serial number to your gun shouldn't be in a registry anyways, that's illegal
2. What two grown adults do is not the business of the govt especially when it comes to the 2nd amendment and the most dangerous person to the 2nd ammendment isn't the Left , its the gun owners who keep bowing down to every incremental infringement.
3. You create a bill of sale with serial number signed by both parties showing transfer of ownership with a copy of drivers license number, in the case the fire arm ever needs to traced back to the FFL that sold it and it's yours you have proof of whom you sold it to , when you sold it, and where that person can be found.
Making people have to pay FFL transfer fees and BGC fees is asinine !!!!
Interesting point which brings a question to mind. I own a Glock 23 which I legally purchased when residing in Oregon. How do I prove it's mine? I sure as hell don't have the receipt from 20 years ago.

Interesting point which brings a question to mind. I own a Glock 23 which I legally purchased when residing in Oregon. How do I prove it's mine? I sure as hell don't have the receipt from 20 years ago.
You shouldn't ever have to prove it; anyone to allege it's not yours would have to prove that it's not.

I been thinking about selling my Glock 19 Gen5. its 3 years old with zero fire. Ive never sold any gun before. What if I try to have a store sell it for me. Is that like a consignment? Is that better?
Thanks..

I been thinking about selling my Glock 19 Gen5. its 3 years old with zero fire. Ive never sold any gun before. What if I try to have a store sell it for me. Is that like a consignment? Is that better?
Thanks..
Do you have a store close by? Ask them what their cut is.
There are a Gazillion Glocks out there. How much are you willing to lose on it?

If you want to sell it? Put it in the classified! It's not like jumping off a cliff. You can always close the ad.

Thanks..
You could do consignment, or sell it yourself.

To sell it yourself, you agree upon a price & meet at an FFL (gunshop) which agrees to handle private party transfers.

The buyer inspects the firearm, pays you & does the paperwork.

The FFL (gunshop) makes a copy of your OR drivers license with your current address, or you supply documentation of your current address (vehicle registration etc).

The FFL holds the firearm until the buyers background check is complete.

Once the paperwork starts, the transaction is between the buyer and the gunshop. Normally. The plandemic thru many wrenches into this system, due to volumes & backlogs. The seller could hold the firearm until called back by the shop with a proceed.

Such wrenches should be returned to "normal" now.

Making an ad on here is pretty easy. If for sale, a price is required (as is following all laws).

Pictures always help.

Interested parties contact you via conversation (our PM function). I no longer give out personal contact info, all is done via PM on here. Given current smart phone tech, such is pretty easy to use from anywhere - similar to texting...

Last Edited:
Do you have a store close by? Ask them what their cut is.
There are a Gazillion Glocks out there. How much are you willing to lose on it?

If you want to sell it? Put it in the classified! It's not like jumping off a cliff. You can always close the ad.
Hi,
Thank you you for the follow-up. I'll ask the store that I go to and see what they can do. I havent thought about any price yet. I know I have extra magazines that I bought for it and might go with it.

You could do consignment, or sell it yourself.

To sell it yourself, you agree upon a price & meet at an FFL (gunshop) which agrees to handle private party transfers.

The buyer inspects the firearm, pays you & does the paperwork.

The FFL (gunshop) makes a copy of your OR drivers license with your current address, or you supply documentation of your current address (vehicle registration etc).

The FFL holds the firearm until the buyers background check is complete.

Once the paperwork starts, the transaction is between the buyer and the gunshop. Normally. The plandemic thru many wrenches into this system, due to volumes & backlogs. The seller could hold the firearm until called back by the shop with a proceed.

Such wrenches should be returned to "normal" now.

Making an ad on here is pretty easy. If for sale, a price is required (as is following all laws).

Pictures always help.

Interested parties contact you via conversation (our PM function). I no longer give out personal contact info, all is done via PM on here. Given current smart phone tech, such is pretty easy to use from anywhere - similar to texting...
Thank you for the follow-up and for explaining it thoroughly. I'm gonna do that. I also remember that I'm waiting for my concealed permit from the sheriffs office. Maybe I should do this after I get it hoping it wont complicate with the process.

Hi,
Thank you you for the follow-up. I'll ask the store that I go to and see what they can do. I havent thought about any price yet. I know I have extra magazines that I bought for it and might go with it.
I know what your thinking I bet. I'd forgot what it was like when I first dove into fire arms back in 2010. I was only a buyer. It seemed real weird to me to meet a guy in a parking lot to buy a gun. It wasn't illegal but.....
this web site is an incredible resource. It's is easy to vet people here. It might be helpful for you to make sure and talk to a would-be buyer on the phone. You have their feedback scores. You might even contact another member, W/phone call, that did business already with a perspective buyer of your gun and have a chat with that person. Your going to have come out better not giving a shop a cut?
In the end, your choice. For ME, meeting forum members to buy and sell things has been very rewarding. Many new resources have been realized over the years.

I know what your thinking I bet. I'd forgot what it was like when I first dove into fire arms back in 2010. I was only a buyer. It seemed real weird to me to meet a guy in a parking lot to buy a gun. It wasn't illegal but.....
this web site is an incredible resource. It's is easy to vet people here. It might be helpful for you to make sure and talk to a would-be buyer on the phone. You have their feedback scores. You might even contact another member, W/phone call, that did business already with a perspective buyer of your gun and have a chat with that person. Your going to have come out better not giving a shop a cut?
In the end, your choice. For ME, meeting forum members to buy and sell things has been very rewarding. Many new resources have been realized over the years.
I'm not really worried much because legit gun buyers have straight background.
Long ago 90's to 2005 I use to trade some musical equipment and hifi decks. In my past experience, normally Americans are pretty straight and honorable. I had no problem even trading and paying with checks in the mail. Since when internet trading market took off and started dealing with people that dont follow the rules and regulations, that's when it turned sour and I stopped doing it for a while. Then I went back lately. If you know the reverb.com site. I been there for 7 years now. Its only one person that I encountered that is not right. The site terminated his account and they settled everything the right way.
So what I'm saying is, legal gun owners and buyers obviously has good background and they wont waste time on a non genuine transaction.
Going back to the selling price. I have no idea besides what I paid for. I dont even know the rules and regulations if I sell anywhere. All I know is I have everything including all the receipt, everything with the gun that came from like all paper works sealed, 3-15 round magazines plus I bought 2 extra. I never even fired this gun. I'm not looking to get rich. whatever is fair on both sides I'm okey. The good news is this is not really a waste of time if someone is looking for this particular Glock 19 gen 5 model. I bought it March 2020 in Donald, Oregon. I believe this picture was taken at that time too and today this is exactly what it looks like. Flawless. I don't have a picture of the 2 15 round extra magazines. I have it in my other box. Its open but I haven't used it too. I'm gonna double check everything including my carry permit. I just hope its not gonna interfere with the sale for me looking like an arms dealer...

My_Glock.JPG

I'm not really worried much because legit gun buyers have straight background.
Long ago 90's to 2005 I use to trade some musical equipment and hifi decks. In my past experience, normally Americans are pretty straight and honorable. I had no problem even trading and paying with checks in the mail. Since when internet trading market took off and started dealing with people that dont follow the rules and regulations, that's when it turned sour and I stopped doing it for a while. Then I went back lately. If you know the reverb.com site. I been there for 7 years now. Its only one person that I encountered that is not right. The site terminated his account and they settled everything the right way.
So what I'm saying is, legal gun owners and buyers obviously has good background and they wont waste time on a non genuine transaction.
Going back to the selling price. I have no idea besides what I paid for. I dont even know the rules and regulations if I sell anywhere. All I know is I have everything including all the receipt, everything with the gun that came from like all paper works sealed, 3-15 round magazines plus I bought 2 extra. I never even fired this gun. I'm not looking to get rich. whatever is fair on both sides I'm okey. The good news is this is not really a waste of time if someone is looking for this particular Glock 19 gen 5 model. I bought it March 2020 in Donald, Oregon. I believe this picture was taken at that time too and today this is exactly what it looks like. Flawless. I don't have a picture of the 2 15 round extra magazines. I have it in my other box. Its open but I haven't used it too. I'm gonna double check everything including my carry permit. I just hope its not gonna interfere with the sale for me looking like an arms dealer...

View attachment 1755996
Well look, you have your ad right there. ^ Trim a bit and put that in the classifieds. And a couple more pictures would be better. Locate an FFL, my recommend would be go to "Tigard Pawn 4 More" on HWY 99. Or allow the buyer to also suggest an FFL? Buyer generally pays, so no worries there. And I believe if there's a delay that Tigard Pawn hold the gun at their shop until the buyer clears. That means you go home with the money.

Ah, I see your point. I missed the 'serial number check' part. Not sure about that.

I suppose, one shouldn't hand over any cash until the serial number check clears then.
You could agree that until the buyer is good to go that the frame stays at the FFL and you hold the slide until $$ is paid

Well look, you have your ad right there. ^ Trim a bit and put that in the classifieds. And a couple more pictures would be better. Locate an FFL, my recommend would be go to "Tigard Pawn 4 More" on HWY 99. Or allow the buyer to also suggest an FFL? Buyer generally pays, so no worries there. And I believe if there's a delay that Tigard Pawn hold the gun at their shop until the buyer clears. That means you go home with the money.
I know that pawn store for I use see it when I live in the apartment close to it. I was going to say, I go to highline in newberg because that's where I live now since I got my house in 2016. I had like 3 transfers in that place. Which by the way that's a very nice store if in case you haven't. The last time I was there, they have the CCI blazer 9mm 124 grain 1,000 rounds for $270. I think that was very reasonable and than the Herters I got from Cabellas which was 115 grain. Nothing better or best for its just a personal preference. Anyways I'll check with the sheriffs office tomorrow and see when I can get my permits so I can get it out of the way before I put the live ad.

I know that pawn store for I use see it when I live in the apartment close to it. I was going to say, I go to highline in newberg because that's where I live now since I got my house in 2016. I had like 3 transfers in that place. Which by the way that's a very nice store if in case you haven't. The last time I was there, they have the CCI blazer 9mm 124 grain 1,000 rounds for $260. I think that was very reasonable and than the Herters I got from Cabellas which was 115 grain. Nothing better or best for its just a personal preference. Anyways I'll check with the sheriffs office tomorrow and see when I can get my permits so I can get it out of the way before I put the live ad.
You don't need permits to sell here, or anywhere for that matter. Only if you started selling like a business. Privat sales in Oregon are legal. As long as the background check is done on the buyer.

You don't need permits to sell here, or anywhere for that matter. Only if you started selling like a business. Privat sales in Oregon are legal. As long as the background check is done on the buyer.
Ooops.. My bad. I was talking about getting my concealed carry permit first before I sell the gun. Because I'm not so sure if its gonna interfere with the process.
By the way, they still have the CCI 9mm

highline blazer.JPG

Hi,

Thank you for the follow-up and for explaining it thoroughly. I'm gonna do that. I also remember that I'm waiting for my concealed permit from the sheriffs office. Maybe I should do this after I get it hoping it wont complicate with the process.
CHL has nothing to do with sale of a firearm. A background check is not run on the seller…CHL used to matter for buyers, as it supposedly & seemingly gave a us a bump in the background check wait. Now, such has gone bye bye.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top