JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am having a discussion with another person about shipping long guns from Oregon to another state, he tells me that any individual can ship any long gun through USPS to an FFL holder in another state. can anybody tell me if he is right or wrong?

i am having a discussion with another person about shipping long guns from Oregon to another state, he tells me that any individual can ship any long gun through USPS to an FFL holder in another state. can anybody tell me if he is right or wrong?
That's true, I have done that recently out of Vancouver to South Dakota and then back to me.
To be sure, talk your your local post office lead person beforehand.

Here:

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

Bruce

Yes he is correct. Individuals can ship long guns and receivers via USPS to an FFL holder. I've shipped manyyyyy over the years. My uncle owned a gunshop and gunsmithing business over 40 years and I've shipped many for him that way.

But yes, a non FFL holder can ship long guns and receivers by way of USPS to any FFL license holder.

I prefer using Ship My Gun internet services. Really easy and no hassles, other then driving to a UPS hub to drop off the package.

For USPS only, It's true. You have to have a copy FFL you are shipping to in case they ask to see it. Let them know that it is a long gun. You also have to include a copy of your photo ID with the gun.

The copy of the FFL license of the dealer you are shipping to, goes IN the box with the gun. USPS does NOT need to see a copy of anything, nor is it their policy to do so. You simply answer the question such as itvthe item perishable, flammable etc etc and it ships. I've shipped too many to list over the yrs through USPS. Its easy peasy.

Just be aware that some USPS counter-people don't know that, or don't agree with it, and occasionally you will have to get the Postmaster to do a little OJT for them.
True. My local is USPS is pretty good, but occasionally I get a new person who becomes queasy (I had a young gal at Fedex once who became visibly panicked). A good practice is to know the company shipping rules as well or better than the people who work there. You can calmly defend yourself if need be, until a manager can arrive to settle things down.

You can always ask your local FFL if they'd be willing to ship a gun for the price of shipping + a nominal fee. Most of us have stacks of boxes and are familiar with the different company shipping rules, plus the shippers recognize us and speed us through.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top