JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about placing an ad in classified for my glock 23. Just wondering how the selling process would go.

Once a deal/price is agreed upon do folks generally meet at an ffl and do deal there since a bgc has to be done?

Does seller get cash and buyer has to leave firearm at ffl I'd assume until bgc is complete?

Does buyer or seller pay ffl for services or is it generally split. I'd guess seller pays ffl and buyer pays for their bgc?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Most times the buyer pays for the transfer fee unless otherwise stated. Makes sure you state this when you post the ad so there won't be any confusion at the transferring FFL. Also get paid at the FFL after the buyer inspects the gun, agrees to the sale and is ready to fill out the 4473. Buyer then leaves the gun at FFL until BGC clears or FFL does 3 day release.

Make sure you get the cash before you begin the transfer process/BGC at the FFL.

It's not your responsibility if/when/how long it takes them to pass the BCG.

Agree with @PDXbiker . Additionally, some FFLs will not have room to store guns now (thanks to measure 114 looming) while waiting for the excruciatingly slow background check to clear and will ask the seller to hold on to it until it clears.

Make sure you get the cash before you begin the transfer process/BGC at the FFL.

It's not your responsibility if/when/how long it takes them to pass the BCG.
I agree with both of these statements. What happens though if the serial number check doesn't come back immediately though and the gun gets stuck in the queue?

Agree with @PDXbiker . Additionally, some FFLs will not have room to store guns now (thanks to measure 114 looming) while waiting for the excruciatingly slow background check to clear and will ask the seller to hold on to it until it clears.
As a buyer I would never leave it with the seller. Time to find another transferring FFL. It would stay with the FFL or the deals off.

Then, the buyer has to wait. Not the seller's problem.
So the buyer is just supposed to trust that the item wasn't reported stolen somewhere down the line and the serial number check doesn't pass after being dumped in the queue? We're not talking about a buyer's background check that gets stuck in the queue - that's obviously the buyer's prob. But is it the buyer's fault that the serial check gets stuck in the queue?

So the buyer is just supposed to trust that the item wasn't reported stolen somewhere down the line and the serial number check doesn't pass after being dumped in the queue? We're not talking about a buyer's background check that gets stuck in the queue - that's obviously the buyer's prob. But is it the buyer's fault that the serial check gets stuck in the queue?
Ah, I see your point. I missed the 'serial number check' part. Not sure about that.

I suppose, one shouldn't hand over any cash until the serial number check clears then.

Serial number on this gun is clean. Purchased it last year at sportsman's warehouse and have credit card statement as proof. But I understand how that could be an issue to be considered as a buyer.

In Oregon the FFL can check immediately to see if firearm has been reported stolen. In fact it is part of the transfer process. The FFL collects identification information from the seller for their records as well.

In Oregon the FFL can check immediately to see if firearm has been reported stolen. In fact it is part of the transfer process. The FFL collects identification information from the seller for their records as well.
Yes, but sometimes the 'serial number check' gets put in a queue. So not always instant.

If buyer is worried about it they can request that the FFL check it separately?
That is with the separate check. Recently bought a pre-64 hunting rifle, FFL said it would almost certay end up in the queue because of the age and sure enough it did. The queue is what, 2+ months now? So it will be 2+ months -then- the BGC (fortunately 3-day release then though).

Probably won't be an issue for eustace_stelio in this sale here or folks with transactions on newer guns, but something you probably need to consider if you're buying or selling and older firearm… probably worth a call to you FFL to see how they'd handle the transaction (and curious how TP would arakboss).

That is with the separate check. Recently bought a pre-64 hunting rifle, FFL said it would almost certay end up in the queue because of the age and sure enough it did. The queue is what, 2+ months now? So it will be 2+ months -then- the BGC (fortunately 3-day release then though).

Probably won't be an issue for eustace_stelio in this sale here or folks with transactions on newer guns, but something you probably need to consider if you're buying or selling and older firearm… probably worth a call to you FFL to see how they'd handle the transaction (and curious how TP would arakboss).
I had one day where I was making two separate purchases and wanted them both on one 4473. I wanted to have the first firearm checked before telling the seller they could take off. TP ran the stolen gun check and it came up clean. Later when the second seller came in they initiated the background check.

This is the way I do things. I'm no expert but it eliminates a lot of crap.

Buyer and seller agree to meet at FFL.

At FFL, buyer should inspect firearm or firearms before 4473.

At FFL buyer then should pay seller BEFORE 4473.

At that point the firearm(s) is turned over to the FFL. It is now their gun until the person who bought it passes a BGC. If the BCG does not clear, they hold it. If it shows up stolen, well, the FFl has to turn it in to the police. Buyer doesn't get gun. FFL gives gun to police. Seller note has to hopefully make right by buyer.

I know my guns are not stolen. I have no fear that that will happen. If the BGC doesn't clear, that's in the buyer not me. I don't worry about anything except weather or not pay bills or buy another gun.

I do absolutely demand payment BEFORE the 4473 is filled out. Once the BGC is filled and submitted, it is not really your gun anymore. No negotiating should take place after the 4473. Once approved you would literally have to perform a 4473 to get it back. So make sure you are paid before.

If you don't know if your gun is stolen or not, well that's on you.

The whole what if the gun is "dirty" could turn into a nightmare.

Seller should eat that...Not the buyer.

Why should buyer pay for a gun that just got confiscated while the seller walks off with His money?

All the more reason to meet at the Zoo .

FFL can't /isn't supposed to call in serial number till gun is in there hand. If its dirty , someone is coming to get it. I can see where they are running out of space in the safe but not holding the weapon I think I'd move on to another ffl. Perhaps this rule has changed since all this bs started.

Private transfers will be back within 5 to 10 years. No historical tradition of making people have go get background to transfer a firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top