JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gear evolves. Sure most the gear evolving is on the front lines in very different situations than what the 85th percentile would ever see in defensive situations :rolleyes:

On the other hand....the fact that gear evolution does trickle down to sportsmen, and to the hiking/backpacking community...it can be good. I don't mean a hunter should look all decked out to do battle at Fallujah, in the woods of Olympic National Park :rolleyes: But I mean the materials and the designs can be very well suited for such...say, modular belt kits, chest harnesses, backpacks made of the same durable materials ;)

If these things happen to have the word "Tactical" somewhere on them or from a company calling itself Tactical something...so what? It does not negate the usefulness of these items :)

Now.. "Tactical pens" and the like..yeah it gets silly sometimes. Most of these are probably meant for jokes or gag gifts.

Here is one extreme example.... "Tactical Corsets" :rolleyes: :eek:
stylessplash.jpg

And here is a more sensible, though still silly example; of a rig "made and designed for women" :rolleyes:
corset-tn-3.jpg

style/fashion statements aside.... yeah. there are sensible gear that can be used in tactical situations, and then there's the fashion gear that maybe not quite useful in tactical situations. (Waiting for that "Tactical jockstrap" :eek::confused:)

As for the whole M4/M16/AR thing... it maybe just a matter of being the most popular rifle series in the United States simply due to AWB 2.0 fears and politics, as well as an amazing level of demand for them. I think it could be comparable to the demand and requests for the classic lever action carbines in the Old West, because the military and the police used them in the Indian Wars and they were very good for hunting and defense.. so the lever action became the popular civil weapon when the Military went to bolt actions and then to semi autos... and then after WW2.... all the cheap surplus rifles from various nations became the go to for sporter conversions and quite useful.... and I'm sure there were a great many stories of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines being brought home and used by many people...am I wrong? Only the M16/M4 has the unique status of having been full auto/3rd burst as issued to the military, and thus not able to be released to civil usage except as NFA items, and then the FOPA act of 86 made the supply artificially smaller....but the semi auto versions have always been available...
I do remember clearly, during the Clinton AWB ban, that AR15s were available from a select few companies, the largest being Colt... and they averaged $1500 per unit in Oregon, with some approaching $3000, usually for free floated, bull barreled, solid stocked 20"+ "sniper" flat top models..

and $2000 or so for the "Pre ban" A2 styled sporters. Of course this was when AK patterned sporters and SKS were available for very cheap prices.

The tacticool "trend" began with a confluence of events, IMO.

The expiration the Clinton/Reno AWB came at the same time that the US was fighting some pretty intense battles in the Middle East (masterful understatement). Navy Seals, SpecOps, MARSOC, SOCOM, etc were starting to be mythologized by TV news and Hollywood. Video games were becoming more martial in general with an emphasis on the current war in the ME.

I think those things cracked it open and it's grown in popularity ever since by perpetuating itself through YouTube vids, airsoft and paintball games, video games, prepping and ubiquitous Hollywood opportunism.

I don't think it's all without purpose, just overblown and "tactical" has become less of a descriptor than a punchline. Most of my outdoor gear is milsurp stuff because I know it works pretty well. Sometimes it's lowest-bid stuff, but generally the quality is good. My black rifles tend to be pretty simplistic, but they're still milspec, so there's that. I don't think I own a single piece of clothing or gear w camo... got rid of the uniforms years ago.

Last Edited:
As much as I might poke fun at tacticool, there was a time I wore the utmost in tactical clothing.

View attachment 506352

This is the uniform we wore when I was in the RA. You will note that even here a sense of style could develop. By this I mean the individual wearing tapered legs on his fatigue trousers and the men wearing "aviator" sunglasses. Later, when I was in the ARNG, they did away with cotton sateen material in the fatigues and came out with a permanent press version. I was working full-time as an NG Technician. wore the fatigues most days and it was a relief to just "wash and wear" instead of having them commercially done to get the heavy starch in cotton. The woodland camo. came out after I was gone, never wore them on duty.

The tapered legs on fatigues, that was called "pegged." Soldiers who didn't want to look strictly GI would sometimes do this. They'd pay to have an off-post tailor rip out the original seams, remove strips of material, and sew the legs back together. It was also done on shirts to get the narrowing effect. Which works for slim bodies, doesn't work for jelly-bellies. Of course such altering of issued uniforms was not regulation, a few words from a first sergeant could cause a change in clothes.

The wool OG winter shirts were issued new with removable darts in the back of the shirt for different sizing. This was to make them more versatile at issue, not for style.

Some of you guys really overthink stuff. I've been retired from the military since '06; been wearing pants with cargo pockets before they were trendy and sported polo shirts (when they were called tennis shirts) since the '70s. Boots? Always worn boots, since I like some ankle support as I've had bad ankles since my high-school basketball days ... Beards? Since I can grow facial hair now, yeah, I'm gonna. I kinda like the 5-11 stretchy pants, so if y'all want to make fun of me for being a poser, have at it. Probably been shooting black guns since most of you were sucking on your binkies ...

It's interesting to me how the culture changes over time, not only national cultures, but group cultures, and sub-cultures within those cultures. What I've been pondering lately is just how "tactical" the firearm culture has become, with no sign of letting up....

The Kentucky Rifle was a "tactical" option at one time. Take it with a grain of salt.

In their day, when newly introduced to the existing market, lever action rifles and bolt guns were the "tactical" weapons of that time. All that has really changed is that time and technology have continued to march along. I love shooting both my AK and my AR. These are both designs from long ago. AK in 1948, AR in 1956. Certainly I have much newer versions, but the fundamentals remain the same.
I do have to agree that some guys get a little over-the-top with "tactical" gear though.

In their day, when newly introduced to the existing market, lever action rifles and bolt guns were the "tactical" weapons of that time. All that has really changed is that time and technology have continued to march along. I love shooting both my AK and my AR. These are both designs from long ago. AK in 1948, AR in 1956. Certainly I have much newer versions, but the fundamentals remain the same.
I do have to agree that some guys get a little over-the-top with "tactical" gear though.
In the old days these were likely the "tactical tommies" of the West :rolleyes:;)
MountainMan_Best.jpg

I have a few rifles some might consider tacticool. My preference these days is 5.11 pants. They fit well, and hide a concealed carry easily. I have been wearing Oakleys since they were not tactically oriented. (1993)

Oh well, I wear normal shirts, normal shoes, and I have had a goatee since '98. If I am too tacticool. Oh well.

I don't wear anything that would raise eyebrows.

I have owned a Colt AR15 since '87 before it was "cool" (I still have it, too). I suspect this next statement I'm going to make has contributed HUGELY to what you're talking about....

When a Democrat tells you that you don't need something, that means you need to acquire at LEAST three of them.

One is none, two is one, three is glee. ;)

At least for me, coming from CA, all the tactical stuff is a responce to seeing how overbearing the gov can get. It isn't far fetched to imagine we may actually have to fight for our rights in our lifetime.

To me, guns are tools for preservation of life and liberty, and also food. I don't own one that doesn't have a serious purpose.

A friend of mine thinks the tactical and long range trends were secretly started by the super wealthy that orchestrate our why of life in this country so that no other country would ever be temped to try and invade the US and rob them of their millions of pawns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top