JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's interesting to me how the culture changes over time, not only national cultures, but group cultures, and sub-cultures within those cultures. What I've been pondering lately is just how "tactical" the firearm culture has become, with no sign of letting up.

Don't take me wrong; I'm not making any moral judgement about it. To each their own and that sort of thing. I certainly don't support increased gun control, and I have a "black rifle" or two (and even a Glock) myself. I'm also not a serious hunter, prepper, or "operator", so I'm just talking about casual hobby interest, not practical military, law enforcement, or survival use. I'm not a "Fudd".

Personally I was much more fascinated with ARs, AKs, and such 25 years ago. My tastes and interests have changes over the years. Now when I go to the range I'm more likely to grab the M1, 1894 Marlin, S&W 66, or some other obsolete blue-steel-and-walnut arm from last century or earlier, maybe even something that loads from the front. Again, nothing against more modern stuff; sometimes I grab the AR .300 Blackout.

What I'm getting at is how the culture (other than the Cowboy Action crowd) seems to have gone all "tactical", all the time. Everyone's a serious operator. Every gun is tactical, every gun shop is tactical, all the ammo and gear is tactical, all gun shop employees have tactical beards! Maybe I exaggerate a little, but sometimes I wonder if the word has lost its meaning. :confused: I groan a little every time I see an add for the latest tactical whatever...

Anyhow, no offense intended towards you all who love the tactical stuff. More power to you if that's your thing.

I have owned a Colt AR15 since '87 before it was "cool" (I still have it, too). I suspect this next statement I'm going to make has contributed HUGELY to what you're talking about....

When a Democrat tells you that you don't need something, that means you need to acquire at LEAST three of them.

One is none, two is one, three is glee. ;)

Last Edited:
I see the over use of the word "tactical" as a typical marketing ploy to sell more stuff. It only takes a couple guys in an advertising firm to latch on to a word or idea and everyone else jump on the bandwagon and beat it to death trying to maximize sales.

The black rifle deal is more of a reflection of our current manufacturing techniques. Everything now a days is plastic and mass produced. Pump those products out as quickly and as cheaply as we can. Gone are the days where people appreciated the finer details and the effort put into something hand made or built with care. We want Walmart prices on our throw-away products.

To me it's not a reflection of the firearm culture as much as the culture of this country as a whole. We have been convinced that bigger, faster, cheaper is the way to go. Like the old saying, "Good, fast, cheap. Pick two.". This country has chosen fast and cheap for most things.

Of course this is just my opinion and the statements are meant in a general manner. There are always exceptions to the rule. :)

I've got my fair share of "tacticool" rifles and carbines.

But there's just something about bolt and lever actions that make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

upload_2018-10-6_11-15-15.jpeg

How many firearm types were not once that tactical weapon of the day? Not a single one is the answer. Every single firearm used for sporting purposes started out as a weapon of war prior to being "sporterized" if indeed it was changed at all. Think the springfield wasn't improved upon later? They just didn't referto the improvements as "tactical" and instead used different marketing terms.

There should be no surprise that the M16/M4 resulted in the AR15 (or AK's, SKS, etc.) and that it would be popular. So long as there is a 2A it will continue with the next generation of firearm.

There should be no surprise that the M16/M4 resulted in the AR15 (or AK's, SKS, etc.) and that it would be popular.

I understand, and agree to a point. My curiosity as pertains to the popularity of "modern sporting rifles", is that generations of servicemen from Vietnam on used the M16, but it's only been in the last 20 years or so that they've been extremely popular. Even in the '90s it seemed that the people who had them were mostly serious gun nuts and preppers (we used to call them survivalists). :)

I think that Stomper hit the nail on the head, with the main reason for proliferation of ARs and the like. Yes, returning soldiers want what they got used to in the sand box, modern manufacturing has made them cheap, even video games have contributed to their popularity, but I think I'd have to agree that the threat of legislation is what has been the main driver of proliferation.

Stomper hit on it pretty good. Back in my youth, I would have never considered any thing that wasn't a Hunting Rifle of various designs, from a Classic Mauser 98 Sporter or Springfield 1903, and Levers of most sorts, because thats where I was at, I was a hunter and I was drawn to the tools used for that passion! Then I did 20 years service to my country and my mind set changed some what! I have never really desired fighting rifles as part of my collection, but I came to see the need for them,and thus, I changed! I still enjoy the classics of wood and blued steel, but I also see the need for a few fighting rifles and what they represent.
Ironically, most hunting rifles are more accurate and capable of longer ranges then the typical fighting rifles, we have better ammo and better chamberings to choose from, but its the ruggedness and dependability of those fighting rifles that wins the day! I see the shift as part marketing to a need, and part is the fact that we have been in continuous war for 30+ years, and there are those of us who spent a large chunk of our lives serving, so the gear and accessories are familiar to us, and in many cases desirable to how we live our every day lives! Sure some of it is over the top, just as some folks take things too far with their "Style" but that's part of the whole thing!
Another thing to point out here! If you really look hard, you will find the concept of "Tactical" goes way back to the mid 1800's. Outdoor folks chose to wear the gear that the military had, it was usually better, and better suited to outdoor use in the wilds. I have a mashup of outdoor gear from the turn of the century, a Brit East India sand colored shirt and Olive colored Wool pants from Austria, circa 1950 along with a Aussie duster jacket and Jungle/outback hat circa WW-2 and my 1950's Tanker Boots! Along with my Colt rifle dated 1862, i'm all set! The point is, what we call " Tactical/tacticool" has been around for a hell of a lot longer then the present trends, with mass media and aggressive just in time/ on demand marketing, we are seeing it more available then ever before! Combined with the shear numbers of Vets among us who choose this style and it's no wonder we are seeing it so much! I for one think it's cool as hell!

I understand, and agree to a point. My curiosity as pertains to the popularity of "modern sporting rifles", is that generations of servicemen from Vietnam on used the M16, but it's only been in the last 20 years or so that they've been extremely popular. Even in the '90s it seemed that the people who had them were mostly serious gun nuts and preppers (we used to call them survivalists). :)

I think that Stomper hit the nail on the head, with the main reason for proliferation of ARs and the like. Yes, returning soldiers want what they got used to in the sand box, modern manufacturing has made them cheap, even video games have contributed to their popularity, but I think I'd have to agree that the threat of legislation is what has been the main driver of proliferation.

Love the new Avatar, nothing like a top quality Winchester 1895, or the more desirable Browning Lever guns!

Love the new Avatar, nothing like a top quality Winchester 1895, or the more desirable Browning Lever guns!

Thank you! I've always liked that photo. There's a story behind that rifle, but I'm sure it's full history is lost to the sands of time. It was originally a Russian contract Winchester 95 in 7.62x54R, circa 1915. It was in poor relic condition missing major parts. I helped a friend restore it at least to something usable.

It was quite the tactical military arm in it's day!

1895 3.jpg

I think part of the drive and motivation behind the "tactical" movement is what's happening in politics within our country. People are most certainly seeing the extreme division that is happening in our country. It doesn't take much to wonder if we're headed toward some type of..."correction"...or large scale unrest as the country continues to divide. There is a very large "practical" component to the tactical movement and people are wanting to be prepared in case they actually "need" some of these things.

That's just my take...but what the hell do I know. :rolleyes:

The "Tactical" craze is just about style. And once it got under way, marketing. After while, these trends start to drive each other. Why do ordinary citizens want to go tactical? Because only a few of them can live the real life; the remainder must be satisfied with mimicry and fantasy. Once in a while, I see young people looking at surplus military stuff for sale, or I see someone wearing camouflage fatigues in the city. On occasion I've been unable to stifle myself and have said something like, "Hey, join the army and they will give you that stuff for free."

For those of us who have some immunity to sheep-like behavior, there can be spill-over benefits. For years, I've had the lightest weight Ruger 77 Mark II in .223 Rem. I bought if for packing (never have used it for that purpose), and it's a lousy range gun for shooting over a handful of rounds because that pencil-like barrel heats up very fast. Then not long ago, I discovered that Remington makes a Model 700 in .223 with short, fat barrel. It's marked (and marketed) as "Tactical." The same model comes in .308 Win., I believe. It's taken a few trips to the range to get the bugs out of it, but now it's doing well and with having the heavy barrel, some sustained shooting may be done with it. The heavy but short bbl. appeals to me because I don't want the typical long, heavy target bbl. Hence "Tactical" has worked out for me in this sense.

However, I don't think there are that many people who are truly immune to some sort of style consciousness. Take black powder shooters, for one example. They are simply replicating a style of the past. Well, I guess I should exempt in-line black powder rifles from this example.

What I like it the practically of a lot of the clothing, and the better quality compared to much of the more commercial brands that get by on name loyalty instead of quality! I like that One pair of pants can last for years and years, a pair of Boots can out last me, and the utility of shirts with well thought out pockets and tough closures really makes things nice! I also like the natural earth tone colors!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top