JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The other thread made me realize where I've heard a lot of the same complaints/issues/struggles about people not being real accepting. At work!

I work in a job where there are a bunch of old timers and a few newbies, but very few in the middle. The new guys start and think they are smart and special and can change the world. The old-timers appear less than welcoming because they know the reality of the work and the idealistic newbie game isn't cute anymore.

My suggestion to people new to "gun culture", especially if you don't fit in on the outset:

1: Be quiet and listen. You might learn something, even when you think you know everything.

2: Show some respect. People might talk to you if you don't show your contempt openly.

3: Continue to be quiet about non-subject related stuff and stay on task. Your opinions don't matter yet.

4: Gain respect by learning, especially the first time. You will learn if you are open to it.

5: If people are messing with you, they might actually LIKE you. If no one is messing with you, you messed up already.

6: Once you are established and have mutual respect, test your opinions one on one, or in small audiences and gain support before trying to change culture forcefully.

7: If it's not going the way you want it, find somewhere else. At least you now have more experience and knowledge. Maybe even some minions.

This gets you by at work, forums, gun stores, whatever.

The other thread made me realize where I've heard a lot of the same complaints/issues/struggles about people not being real accepting. At work!

I work in a job where there are a bunch of old timers and a few newbies, but very few in the middle. The new guys start and think they are smart and special and can change the world. The old-timers appear less than welcoming because they know the reality of the work and the idealistic newbie game isn't cute anymore.

My suggestion to people new to "gun culture", especially if you don't fit in on the outset:

1: Be quiet and listen. You might learn something, even when you think you know everything.

2: Show some respect. People might talk to you if you don't show your contempt openly.

3: Continue to be quiet about non-subject related stuff and stay on task. Your opinions don't matter yet.

4: Gain respect by learning, especially the first time. You will learn if you are open to it.

5: If people are messing with you, they might actually LIKE you. If no one is messing with you, you messed up already.

6: Once you are established and have mutual respect, test your opinions one on one, or in small audiences and gain support before trying to change culture forcefully.

7: If it's not going the way you want it, find somewhere else. At least you now have more experience and knowledge. Maybe even some minions.

Sounds a whole lot like hitting the fleet as a boot in the military. But instead of "mean" words you just got punched in the mouth. Lol.

Everywhere I've ever been is like this. People have to be handy with the steel, you know what I mean? Earn your keep!
I learned quickly. Haha. And the people who the NCOs didn't pay any attention to, didn't correct, etc. you knew that they had zero respect or any like for them. If you got you a$$ kicked it's cause they liked you and wanted to teach you and better you.

Baloo's maxims* come to mind here :

His spots are the joy of the Leopard ; his horns are the Buffalo's pride ,
Be clean for the strength of the hunter is known by the gloss of his hide .

If ye find that the bullock can toss you , or the heavy- browed Sambhur can gore ;

Ye need not stop work to inform us. We knew it ten seasons before.

Oppress not the cubs of the stranger , but hail them as Sister and Brother ,
For though they are little and fubsy , it may be the Bear is their mother.

"There is none like to me !" Says the cub in the pride of his earliest kill ;

But the Jungle is large and the Cub is small. Let him think and be still.

Andy
* From Kipling's Jungle Books...the actual books , not the dumbazz movies

I am willing to put up with "a lot" and am very respectful the majority of the time even to people who I have contempt for. Where I have very little patience is when people who vote toward authoritarian rule expect me to consider them "on the same team."

Was this your "Epiphany? It should be. I don't know how you could have nailed it better that that!

I joined this site in 9/2011. I had voted for Barak Obama less than three years earlier, and had great hope for change. I'm only including that because it gives an idea where I was politically. I guess I've always been one to approach a group of people like you suggest. I never once felt picked on or marginalized by the gun community. But then I came from a fishing forum. Anyone who is seriously into salmon/steelhead know fishermen can be real bubblegumes! You guys were easy!:s0155:

I am willing to put up with "a lot" and am very respectful the majority of the time even to people who I have contempt for. Where I have very little patience is when people who vote toward authoritarian rule expect me to consider them "on the same team."

Because of this; is why I think respect has to be earned and not demanded by those that wish to "join".

Because of this; is why I think respect has to be earned and not demanded by those that wish to "join".

Respect has always been, and will always be earned. It's not something that can be given. I think people often confuse respect with politeness. I'm very polite most of the time, even to people I have absolutely no respect for. This whole "respect me no matter what attitude," I blame that on the school system and parents for generations telling everyone that they were special because they exist.

We are encouraged to treat everyone "with respect". But there's a problem. Respect is EARNED. If we granted respect to everyone, it would mean nothing other than that we have poor judgement. We CAN treat everyone with courtesy. But when it comes to someone we don't know the best we can do is to treat them as if we respected them, hoping that they will prove worthy of that respect.

The core of NWFA is solid first hand info about guns and gun use and shooting. The fastest way to earn respect is to share serious expertise about the aspects of guns and shooting you know the most about. Not by sounding off loudly and frequently on subjects that you know little about, have only read something about, or that are mostly a matter of opinion. And keep in mind we have lots of experience here--serious first hand experience.

And yeah, people here often express affection and respect by messing with each other a bit, all in good fun. One of the things I like most about NWFA is the gun humor and funny stories.

Whether it's guns, cards, boat, knitting, fight, book, etc, Club
Most new "members" see themselves as.....
1613426531080.png

Old members see them as....
1613426903548.png

It will be ever thus........ ;)

Last Edited:
I suppose it depends on the people involved, like most things. A couple years back, I took my bi-racial, very liberal niece shooting because she had an open mind and was curious. Showed her a variety of guns from single action 22s to ARs. While we were there, an older range rat started talking to us and helped give her some pointers. He even let her shoot his rifle he was working on loads for. He had been an instructor with the Boy Scouts for decades and was very encouraging of new shooters. Her skin color, her political views, her newness, the fact she was a female . . . none of that seemed to have any bearing on our conversation except in a supportive tone. Because all the people had open minds, this was a great experience as opposed to an off-putting one.

Conversely, I started as a temp at a bank once (IT related). All the guys there had been there forever and if you weren't one of them, you could take a hike. I did what I was there to do and never was interested in going back, even when they had open positions.

My point, that while there are some steps you can take to show respect and courtesy to find your place in anything new, there is certainly room for existing gun owners to lead by example and be ambassadors for "gun culture". If we build walls and don't make it welcoming to new comers, will we be surprised when there is no one to take up the mantel when our time comes? This isn't the military and this isn't a new job. This is a right that is open to everyone and a hobby we want others to enjoy. It's the same as screaming that voting republican is the only way. If we aren't willing to have an open discussion and welcome others, how are we ever going to get anyone else to support the second amendment more openly? It's like an echo chamber fueling confirmation bias.

But I whole heartedly agree that if someone is looking to fit in, those are great steps to follow and contribute to our individual emotional intelligence. I just think it isn't a one way street if we want to see gun culture flourish.

I'd say you can't have respect and contempt for someone simultaneously. These are opposites. unless you mean with respect to different aspects if their knowledge, skills, and character. You can treat everyone with courtesy though, whether you respect them or not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top