JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend of mine thinks the tactical and long range trends were secretly started by the super wealthy that orchestrate our why of life in this country so that no other country would ever be temped to try and invade the US and rob them of their millions of pawns.
Only problem with that.... the millions of pawns are already buying stuff from other countries and inviting immigrants from other countries in the name of globalism :rolleyes:

And really, that famous Japanese WW2 quote about "A rifle behind every blade of grass" sums up our current armory of American owned firearms of all types :D

Hmm...Reading this thread made me think that the old sporting goods stores in the sixties missed out on the 'tactical' advertising potential when all of them had barrels of surplus Mausers and Arisakas at the end of every aisle. (My first non-.22 rifle was a WWll surplus $14.95 Mauser, new and full of cosmoline, which an uncle and I 'sporterized.') I remember one deer hunting trip, when I was in my teens, with a different uncle, when five out of the six hunters in our party carried the above, with none thinking about 'tactical'—they were just affordable and accurate.

I guess it's just a matter of time before Trojan comes out with tactical condoms, though I can't imagine what the camouflage pattern would be like...

I guess it's just a matter of time before Trojan comes out with tactical condoms, though I can't imagine what the camouflage pattern would be like...
Andy & Bax once had a lot of these... :rolleyes: download.jpeg

A bit late to the discussion, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm not tactical, not in the least. But I do appreciate MSR's like the AR, etc. And as I've said before, I think every American that gives a rip about their gun rights should own at least one - if for no other reason than we propagate the things to make them so common that they can't be legislated out of existence through some limited use loophole. The more that are owned by more people, the better for us all, and our rights. With the cost so low right now, I would hope anyone who has been sitting on the fence about owning an AR would at least consider adding one, even if it's just a nice middle finger to those that want to take our rights away.

As for me, while I do appreciate them, I don't invest a lot into them. I don't look for all the cool gadgets to bolt onto my gun. I don't tweak and geek the thing for primo operation - I just want to to run, be reliable and relatively accurate, within my ability level. Have some ammo and mags on hand, and I'm good to go.

I'm more interested in guns like the M1 Garand and M1A Springfield. Bolt guns have become more of an interest to me in the last few years. I like pistols. I dig the black powder guns. I even enjoy air guns. I don't get the whole tactical everything culture, but I'm not turned off by it. If that's what gets people interested in shooting and expressing their 2nd amendment rights, then hell yeah! Go for it Tactical Tommy!

As for me, the clock is moving toward the next gun on my list - you can hear it going "tikka tock tikka tock tikka tock" ;)

Last Edited:
I don't tweak and geek the thing for primo operation - I just want to to run, be reliable and relatively accurate, within my ability level. "
This is where I geek out. Making things run like a top. I don't care if it is a slicked up action lever or a geiselle ssp in an AR, there is something about bringing a gun to perfection that I geek out on. Trust me, my ruger 10/22s are not something for the faint of heart either. I like shooting, but let me point out that once I started mechanically improving my rifles, my accuracy is way better and they are more fun for me to shoot. I am a geek, and a tinkerer. If I am into something I will probably show up with it customized to my ideal. My equipment is going to be better than me, because I will pay to not be held back. And I am passable with junky equipment, but I'd rather be able to put that bullet exactly where I want to easily and quietly.

When I think of tactical stuff I think of all the joes in the rear with high speed gear they got outside of the supply chain. As regular legs you get the basic crap and wear it out to be replaced with more basic crap. The guys in the rear always had the best stuff, the lightest rucks and the most high speed boots. I had a pair of high speed boots for rucking but they wore out pretty quickly. I do still have a pair of insulated danners from back in the BDU days that I got issued in Germany and a pair of the coyote boots that I got issued last. I wear both hunting and in the woods and doing work in the yard, they'll never wear out. All of my high speed,rip stop, cargo pocketed, flame retardant and heat dissipating stuff is stuffed into duffel bags never to be worn again. I like jeans and flannel shirts for my shooting attire. And the army never issued a jacket as nice as north face makes so I won't be buying an imitation army-ish jacket that isn't as well made as what I can get on clearance at REI. I also don't have a snorkel on my non-lifted truck or imitation bead lockers. Tactical gear is good for warfare but not very comfortable or even very durable. I've had the same pair of ray bans for decades, I did break a lot of oakleys in my time. A good freind of mine refers to the tactical crowd as LARPERs of the spec ops crowd. Live action role play like the wizards and knights and trolls or whatever. It always makes me chuckle to think of when I see someone who has gone way too far down the flat dark earth/ coyote tan/ Olive drab/ Velcro patch ball cap rabbit hole.

Majority of USGI tactical gear is made by lowest bidder as part of huge contracts. :rolleyes:

That said; there are some stuff that's directly useful for other than warfare. Not much, but some. I do agree it gets quite far into silly fantasy if someone shows up to a CCW class decked out in tactical black MOLLE gear and sporting goods equipment for a classroom thing :rolleyes: I'll admit, I like woodland camo stuff myself, but I am not going to go indoors wearing it all decked up. The only "tactical" thing I wear on a regular basis are either warm insulated Bellevue leather boots I got from dad for free, or the "riggers" style belt I made myself.

CCW mall ninja.jpg

Tactical aquisitions started six decades ago. Began with purchase, in the 1950's, of 1917 `06 Enfield. Older brother and I each bought one for less than $18.00, each. Introduced me to cosmoline. Rifle remains in original condition. It hunted whitetail in Texas and Florida. Killed antelope in Wyoming. Rifle came with cylinderical cleaning kit that stored in the butt stock. Dad hunted successfully for decades with his Ackley Improved Springfield. Only visible modification was added optics. These 100 plus years old tactical rifles are extremely powerful and very accurate and function without flaws. Have to say I love the recoil!!!

Hard to imagine what a tactical weapon will look like in 101 years.

The first time I really noticed a "tactical wannabe" was some years back when several friends and I went out in the hills to shoot. One of the guys brought his brother along, who arrived decked out in his tactical vest. I remember wondering what in the world that was for, when we're just plinking in the woods. Then he wanted to talk politics nonstop.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top