JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To be honest I think this AK is too tactical...

6nHbkoP.jpg

In the late '80s and early '90s I worked the gun counter of one of the largest gun stores in Oregon.

We sold maybe a half dozen AR platforms a year and there were really only three main stream manufacturers.....Colt, Bushmaster, and Olympic. Mini-14s were more popular.

I got out of the army in 1972. We'd had the M-16 in Vietnam, of course and I kinda liked them. In 1973, I bought a Colt SP1, the civilian semi-only model. At the time, owning one of those was pretty rare. Lots of negative comments from owners of conventional rifles about plastic guns and so forth. My cousin (army veteran from 1959-61) didn't like the spring sound in his ear. The SP1 was big money then, I think it cost me $185. What with the overbought condition of AR's these days, it may get back down to that value.

When I bought the SP1, if I'm not mistaken Colt was the only company offering the design. Ruger came out with the Mini-14 in the early 1970's, that was the alternative. I've owned three Mini-14's, never could love them. For one thing, back then I didn't realize that .223 throats didn't like the FMJ military bullet ogive and rounds loaded with such bullets fired thusly suffered in accuracy.

Shooting cardboard targets that are 20' in front of them.

I've been noting this for some time, the seven yard pistol range. Users think that those small groups fired with a pistol are a real demonstration of marksmanship skill.

Thank you! I've always liked that photo. There's a story behind that rifle, but I'm sure it's full history is lost to the sands of time. It was originally a Russian contract Winchester 95 in 7.62x54R, circa 1915. It was in poor relic condition missing major parts. I helped a friend restore it at least to something usable.

It was quite the tactical military arm in it's day!

View attachment 506129

Pretty sure Teddy thought these were quite tactical when he armed his officers with them.

As for me, my tastes have become less black rifle and more wood and steel. Hundred year old US milsurp has to be tactical, right?

Tactical is just a made up word! Like Andy says, it's what you do, not the gear, weapons, and such!

I'm gonna start a new trend, "Strategic" has a nice ring to it and covers things nicely!:D:p

Tactical is just a made up word! Like Andy says, it's what you do, not the gear, weapons, and such!

I'm gonna start a new trend, "Strategic" has a nice ring to it and covers things nicely!:D:p
Waterproof shoes are tactical and silly... Says everyone with wet feet. :rolleyes:

Same logic can be applied to this situation... People put tactical on an item when the item has a use, its up to the person if they utilize the use or just have it for whatever reason.

What I was thinking with my remark of:
Tactical should be how you do things , not the things themselves.

Is that , its not the item itself that should be considered tactical...but what you do with it or how you use it.

Case in point :

My 870 Wingmaster with a 28 inch barrel is my modern bird gun...but I have had it "on duty" as a home defense shotgun at times...
A 28 inch barreled shotgun is not considered "tactical" by most...but I can use it , in the role of a home defense gun ....so then, is it now a "tactical" gun ..or is it what I say ... the method I use it , the tactics of employing a longer barreled gun in a home....that is what I think of , when I use the word tactical...Not something marketed as such.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads