JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very possibly. The one I linked might have thrown me off with being labelled as "Latest bill text" and:

View attachment 1446623

...then the text quoted above subsequently presented.

Do you have a link to the final form, as signed into law?
Click on the "WA State Legislature page for..." link near the top, then look for "Bill as passed".

That's the bill they passed.

Click on the "WA State Legislature page for..." link near the top, then look for "Bill as passed".

That's the bill they passed.
Nah. I wanna be like you. Spoon feed me the link or it doesn't exist. :s0140:

"(38) "Import" means to move, transport....an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington."

So yeah. It does seem correct they have their own non-traditional definition of "import". Or at least the ambiguity of the text could certainly be interpreted to mean that stepping over the state line with anything that wasn't already there is "importing".

Nah. I wanna be like you. Spoon feed me the link or it doesn't exist. :s0140:

"(38) "Import" means to move, transport....an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington."

So yeah. It does seem correct they have their own non-traditional definition of "import". Or at least the ambiguity of the text could certainly be interpreted to mean that stepping over the state line with anything that wasn't already there is "importing".
I like how you are consistently rude, even when people do stuff for you.

Re-reading the law, it does appear that you can inherit AWs - directly - from out of state. Fed and state law allows this. It doesn't go through an FFL.

I haven't taken the time to read all of the AWB, but in SB5078 (mag ban) there exists an exemption for those coming into WA state with a large capacity mag, and leaving with the same. The question was then directly posed and answered to affirm that... and cited elsewhere in another thread, but that was awhile ago, it's not applicable to me and I'm not going to go looking for it.

The text should be clear enough.

SB5078 reads:

12 providing limited exemptions applicable to certain government
13 officers, agents, employees, or contractors, law enforcement and
14 corrections officers and military members, licensed firearms
15 manufacturers, dealers, and gunsmiths, and persons engaged in sport
16 shooting

The question originated by those that were asking about travelling to WA state to participate in various activities like shooting events, hunting, etc.. It was confirmed that an out of state person engaging in legal shooting activity within the state would not constitute "importation" so long as they left with what they came with.

Would I trust WA LEO's to know that? Nu uh! What do you gain by taking that kind of risk in a state that leans "tyrannical extremist"? YMMV, but "legally" it appears to be allowed.
That pdf is how the bill was introduced, it also says you many not take a high capacity magazine off from your own real property except to a licensed gun range.

I believe this or some of this was removed for the "bill as passed" version.

?

That pdf is how the bill was introduced, it also says you many not take a high capacity magazine off from your own real property except to a licensed gun range.

I believe this or some of this was removed for the "bill as passed" version.

?
Yeah. It appears the final draft was changed quite a bit through multiple revisions. I thought I was looking at the last one since it listed it as the "passed" bill and enactment date, but apparently someone was asleep at the wheel and didn't update it with the final.

There is an outdoor gun range I used to enjoy going to, english pit specifically. Is it legal for me to go up there with an ar15 with 30 round magazines and shoot? I am aware the magazine need to be empty and locked in a different container. Is that it? Should I just forget about it and find a cheap place in Oregon to not even risk it? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question was answered on another thread.
I go to EP a lot and when the law passed I called and asked if anything had changed. They said, no, business as usual. I have been going to that range for years and I've never seen anyone questioned about what they're carrying. In fact, the rules say no SBRs or rifle-caliber pistols but I have seen people shoot those on the range and not get a second look.

I think there is a lot of conjecture in this thread as to what the law says you can or can't do but I can say that I've never seen anything there to indicate they are on the lookout for things they can get people in trouble for. Also, the bill grandfathers in existing weapons and mags so is anyone really going to go down the rabbit hole of trying to verify how long you've had the stuff you're carrying? Law enforcement may do that but not the folks at this range.... I doubt it.

If you go to the range and then commit some crime or get pulled over while in WA then the weapons and mags may suddenly become fuel for some additional questions. But I doubt Vancouver Police are doing random traffic stops searching for evil black rifles (which they then have to hope haven't been owned for years). And no one at EP is out to get you either.

All this said, I'm just one guy with an opinion (and lots of time on that range). Give them a call and ask them!

I go to EP a lot and when the law passed I called and asked if anything had changed. They said, no, business as usual. I have been going to that range for years and I've never seen anyone questioned about what they're carrying. In fact, the rules say no SBRs or rifle-caliber pistols but I have seen people shoot those on the range and not get a second look.

I think there is a lot of conjecture in this thread as to what the law says you can or can't do but I can say that I've never seen anything there to indicate they are on the lookout for things they can get people in trouble for. Also, the bill grandfathers in existing weapons and mags so is anyone really going to go down the rabbit hole of trying to verify how long you've had the stuff you're carrying? Law enforcement may do that but not the folks at this range.... I doubt it.

If you go to the range and then commit some crime or get pulled over while in WA then the weapons and mags may suddenly become fuel for some additional questions. But I doubt Vancouver Police are doing random traffic stops searching for evil black rifles (which they then have to hope haven't been owned for years). And no one at EP is out to get you either.

All this said, I'm just one guy with an opinion (and lots of time on that range). Give them a call and ask them!
If you carry a banned rifle to your car with Oregon plates and a cop is there...

There is an outdoor gun range I used to enjoy going to, english pit specifically. Is it legal for me to go up there with an ar15 with 30 round magazines and shoot? I am aware the magazine need to be empty and locked in a different container. Is that it? Should I just forget about it and find a cheap place in Oregon to not even risk it? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question was answered on another thread.
You are fine. Take home what you bring in. You can ship it to yourself as long as your the one receiving it. Nobody cares. They dont even ask

You'll be fine.

(Not legal advice - I wouldn't worry at all about taking "high cap" mags into Washington as long as you're in possession of them the entire time and they leave the state with you).

Most likely illegal but no cop is gonna enforce it. None of these "new" gun laws will be enforced . Unless you're a felon

It only takes one observant and politically motivated police officer to ruin your life.
Yea. How are they gunna accomplish that?

Either the user/owner is stupid or every element magically lined up perfectly.

Last Edited:
Yea. How are they gunna accomplish that?

Either the user/owner is stupid or every element magically lined up perfectly.
Unlike owning something you shouldn't have at home, or concealing a pistol where you shouldn't, we're talking about driving to a public gun range and using an illegal weapon out in the open.

Observing an AR15 plus Oregon license plates is all someone needs for probable cause. Especially in WA where you can't legally claim to have borrowed a rifle from a resident.

I've personally shot at a number or ranges and matches that cops do, so I wouldn't count on them not being there or not caring. So I don't think my warning is in any way far fetched. You might get away with it a dozen times before something happens - and if they get evidence you have been knowingly doing it for awhile, those will be additional counts.

It doesn't seem worth it.

Unlike owning something you shouldn't have at home, or concealing a pistol where you shouldn't, we're talking about driving to a public gun range and using an illegal weapon out in the open.

Observing an AR15 plus Oregon license plates is all someone needs for probable cause. Especially in WA where you can't legally claim to have borrowed a rifle from a resident.

I've personally shot at a number or ranges and matches that cops do, so I wouldn't count on them not being there or not caring. So I don't think my warning is in any way far fetched. You might get away with it a dozen times before something happens - and if they get evidence you have been knowingly doing it for awhile, those will be additional counts.

It doesn't seem worth it.
It must be that lucky rabbits foot I carry on my key chain.

I was reading the Cerberus Training Group and I will post the URL:

https://cerberus-training.com/

Scroll down until you see the "WASHINGTON STATE MAGAZINE BAN" section. I am not a LEO but I took the basic AR training class from Steve back in 2018 and I learned a lot of useful information.

If you are really paranoid then perform the following checks:

1) Car tabs, DL, and proof of car insurance should all be valid.
2) Always wear your seatbelt which is the law on most/all state anyways.
3) Check all of the external lights on your vehicle to be sure all are working properly.
4) Drive the speed limit. (This one is sometimes hard to do since everyone else is speeding).

I have seen all kinds of burnt out headlights and tail lights when I am driving home at night sometimes. I suppose it is not a priority law enforcement these days in certain areas. I have driven numerous times up to Birch Bay and I sometimes see 2 or 3 Washington State Troopers pulling cars over around the Mount Vernon area so I typically drive the speed limit there. I drive an old 4x4 pickup truck so it does not accelerate that quickly like cars and newer pickup trucks either.

I go to EP a lot and when the law passed I called and asked if anything had changed. They said, no, business as usual. I have been going to that range for years and I've never seen anyone questioned about what they're carrying.
That is not a surprise, the business simply wants you to continue as a paying customer regardless of what a new law actually states...
Seems a bit like asking a marijuana dispensary for legal advice regarding transporting their product across a state line back to your home state before you make a purchase..
Personally, I will get my legal advise somewhere other than from someone who stands to profit from the decision I make...
Don't get me wrong, I think the law is b.s. and I think the odds are extremely small that an out of state individual would be charged with an infraction...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top