JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shortly after posting this, I found a recent post asking the same thing but it seems like it's not worth the risk. Really a shame, English Pit is far from an ideal experience but it served a utility for zeroing optics, handgun practice, and I met some cool folks there too.

I hate that place. Run by Fudds, takes the cardio of Michael Phelps to get in and out of, and you can only bench to shoot long guns.

I'm not obeying Washington gun laws as an Oregonian, and if Fudds have a problem with it they can shove it.

I'm of the opinion most all public type gun ranges are run by Fudds. It would seem that's the age and demographic that volunteer or are willing to work at such places. Always old retired military dudes that think 300 yards is long range. I suspect it's not their fault that they are the majority demographic willing to work at such places.

I hate that place. Run by Fudds, takes the cardio of Michael Phelps to get in and out of, and you can only bench to shoot long guns.

I'm not obeying Washington gun laws as an Oregonian, and if Fudds have a problem with it they can shove it.
I watched an RO go into the rifle range after we went cold starts inspection every rifles and even grabbed a guys AR and starts handling it without his consent. He literally got on me because I couldn't lock the bolt my AK doesn't have bolt hold open so he instructs me to put a spent casing in the gun to induce a malfunction so he knows it's safe. Where do these people come up with this stuff.. Yes firearm safety is important we all know that but to many rules you take the fun out of shooting. Its already a pain to get all the gear targets ammo. I would rather put that $20 that English pit charges into my gas tank drive an hour out set up some steel targets and call it a day. No waiting 15-20 minutes to go cold just be my own man you know as god intended

I watched an RO go into the rifle range after we went cold starts inspection every rifles and even grabbed a guys AR and starts handling it without his consent. He literally got on me because I couldn't lock the bolt my AK doesn't have bolt hold open so he instructs me to put a spent casing in the gun to induce a malfunction so he knows it's safe. Where do these people come up with this stuff.. Yes firearm safety is important we all know that but to many rules you take the fun out of shooting. Its already a pain to get all the gear targets ammo. I would rather put that $20 that English pit charges into my gas tank drive an hour out set up some steel targets and call it a day. No waiting 15-20 minutes to go cold just be my own man you know as god intended
That's what I'm going to do. 70 miles east of me are two Cinder Pits I'm going to try out one day. Or just find a place in Linn County to shoot....maybe pay someone to use their property for a day or something, and they can have my brass and/or join me.

...and you can only bench to shoot long guns.
Maybe a county restriction. More chance of a stray shot if not using the bench. Many miles of houses behind the berm.

english-pit.jpg

Bruce

We will be setting up a short range at the ranch, 150yds just because its stupid crazy now and we wont be limited by mags.
The area we have to develop will work. But its also very nice area, a pond, trees small stream. So I did want a range 30feet away. But geographic it has the best backstop to build. I wont be doing this. But I can see " private ranges popping up to side step the stupidity. We are very close to BLM, but the limit applies there. Hence why we never had a range, drive up 10 minutes and done. But will take a year to clear and setup. I need to find materials as well.

Just be aware if there's any timber sales and logging in the areas. The creek it's next to, is a pretty good spot for an ice cold dip, excellent photography opportunities if you can get down on whats basically a goat trail. Edit. Also liked to camp off Moose Mountain Road past the day use areas but it's probably quite busy with people camping their RVs there

Pre 1140 I was regularly there- Maybe different ROs at the English Pit when I've been….I've found them to be pretty decent certainly no worse than ones at other ranges-.
About 3 or 4 months back I asked about their new chamber flag rules and the plastic chains that had appeared - was told that in order to get insurance, ( without which they couldn't operate), they had to be very visibly taking every precaution to limit the chance of any accident that would get them sued out of existence.

There is the new indoor range at Wooster Armoury, close to Washington square, opening soon- They guys working there showed myself and another customer the construction area- it looks really promising

Is there no where for you to shoot in Oregon?
There is an area off Salmonberry Rd I saw on Google Earth that I could never find in person. I believe I might have once but that was off a cliff on a narrow path, which didn't look like it on the computer. Also several areas off Wolfcreek Rd. Depending on when the pictures were taken. After quite a bit of driving I found an area but it was very steep uphill and a lot of dry brush.

I see videos of people coyote hunting somewhere in Southern Oregon with hundreds of yards of open land but it never lays out where that is.

Browns Camp pit used to have ~ 200yds but I don't go there alone any more. Was getting pretty hinky last time I was there a few years ago.

Went to Salmonberry on Saturday, plenty of spots were still available at arrival and departure 7:30 - 2:15.
Just remember what turns you took to get to "your" spot or getting out can take a while 😜

There is an area off Salmonberry Rd I saw on Google Earth that I could never find in person. I believe I might have once but that was off a cliff on a narrow path, which didn't look like it on the computer. Also several areas off Wolfcreek Rd. Depending on when the pictures were taken. After quite a bit of driving I found an area but it was very steep uphill and a lot of dry brush.

I see videos of people coyote hunting somewhere in Southern Oregon with hundreds of yards of open land but it never lays out where that is.

Browns Camp pit used to have ~ 200yds but I don't go there alone any more. Was getting pretty hinky last time I was there a few years ago.
Yeah I understand that, my dad and I were at English pit on a Sunday on a sunny day and Someone broke into is truck and stole a hidden 357 that he had carried for well over 20 years. So if you do go never leave anything valuable in your rig. Someone had the balls to bash a window and steel a pistol you couldn't even see in broad daylight !

Yeah I understand that, my dad and I were at English pit on a Sunday on a sunny day and Someone broke into is truck and stole a hidden 357 that he had carried for well over 20 years. So if you do go never leave anything valuable in your rig. Someone had the balls to bash a window and steel a pistol you couldn't even see in broad daylight !
Sorry to here that. Although it's been a few years, I know a guy who was followed home from Browns Camp and had his guns stolen from his driveway. He was being careless but you never know who's admiring your collection at the range.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews