JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is an outdoor gun range I used to enjoy going to, english pit specifically. Is it legal for me to go up there with an ar15 with 30 round magazines and shoot? I am aware the magazine need to be empty and locked in a different container. Is that it? Should I just forget about it and find a cheap place in Oregon to not even risk it? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question was answered on another thread.

This is not cut and dried. Bringing in an article for temporary personal use, w/o a financial transaction, is not generally viewed as "importing." Here is a general overview of the accepted meaning of the term:

An import of a good occurs when there is a change of ownership from a non-resident to a resident

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import

The legal citations demonstrating that are footnoted there. I do not read the statute as to prohibit personal transfers by non-residents for sporting purposes.

Here is a common-sense test:

Q: If I am an Oregon resident and I drive my Acura to Washington and back in a short trip, and I now classified as an importer of automobiles to Washington?

A: No.

Parallel:

Q: If I am an Oregon resident, and I drive my Acura to Washington to sell it to a resident there, and leave it, am I now an exporter of an automobile to Washington?

A: Yes.

Last Edited:
This is not cut and dried. Bringing in an article for temporary personal use, w/o a financial transaction, is not generally viewed as "importing." Here is a general overview of the accepted meaning of the term:

The legal citations demonstrating that are footnoted there. I do not read the statute as to prohibit personal transfers by non-residents for sporting purposes.

Q: If I am an Oregon resident and I drive my Acura to Washington and back in a short trip, and I now classified as an importer of automobiles to Washington?

Parallel:

Q: If I am an Oregon resident, and I drive my Acura to Washington to sell it to a resident there, and leave it, and I now an exporter of an automobile to Washington?

A: Yes.
the law defines its definition of import differently.

I'm sure that is a useful definition for commerce, but the two gun bans exist to prevent mass shootings. So having an exception that allows you to bring AWs in to the state if you plan to leave the same day of your planned school shooting seems unlikely.

the law defines its definition of import differently.
That is a legal definition, check the footnotes.

The issue is that "import" is customarily interpreted to involve a transaction. The WA bill does not negate that. There are other parts of USC that define it differently. The bill left that open.

If they wanted to mean "physically bring into or cause to be brought into the jurisdiction" as the threshold, they could have said that. They did not. They chose instead the phrase "import" - very big distinction.

The issue is that "import" is customarily interpreted to involve a transaction. The WA bill does not negate that. There are other parts of USC that define it differently. The bill left that open.

If they wanted to mean "physically bring into or cause to be brought into the jurisdiction" as the threshold, they could have said that. They did not. They chose instead the phrase "import" - very big distinction.
no, the law literally gives its own definition to the word import that bans bringing ARs into the state for any reason.

I'm sure that is a useful definition for commerce, but the two gun bans exist to prevent mass shootings. So having an exception that allows you to bring AWs in to the state if you plan to leave the same day of your planned school shooting seems unlikely.
That's a rather generous claim for why the gun bans exist.

The problem with this theory is that it won't save the OP when he gets caught bringing an AR into WA.

Definition from the actual bill.

"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine the individual transported out of state.

Last Edited:
OP,

Is your last name BIDEN?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....why did I ask?

1688251974037.png

From a legal standpoint...

You can enter WA with an "assault weapon" as long as you leave with it. You cannot move here with it. You can possess it here, however you can't leave it here, sell it here, etc it must go back home with you. Same with your magazines. Can bring them in, can use and possess them here, so long as you leave with the same amount you brought in.
Also, just FYI your statement of them being locked in a different container is false. You can have an unloaded rifle in your car in washington with a loaded magazine right next to it. WA defines loaded as (when referring to a firearm with a detachable magazine) as magazine being inserted into the weapon. A loaded magazine next to your AR15 in your car is not to be construed as loaded.

That being said..........
Some idiot cop or sheriff may interpret the law any way he pleases and leave it up to a judge.

I just got done arguing not 2 days ago with a sheriff at an especially fuddy LGS in clark county (name will be left out) about how 30 round magazines are not allowed for anyone who isn't law enforcement. I explained to him multiple times that we can possess them, we just cannot import them. I explained to him that the burden is on the seller only and possession is not banned for WA residents. He boldly argued with me that it was illegal for me to carry my pistol with more than a 10 round magazine. And this guy pulls people over for a living.

So.... tread lightly and don't run any stop lights. You'll be fine

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top