JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From a legal standpoint...

You can enter WA with an "assault weapon" as long as you leave with it. You cannot move here with it. You can possess it here, however you can't leave it here, sell it here, etc it must go back home with you. Same with your magazines. Can bring them in, can use and possess them here, so long as you leave with the same amount you brought in.
Also, just FYI your statement of them being locked in a different container is false. You can have an unloaded rifle in your car in washington with a loaded magazine right next to it. WA defines loaded as (when referring to a firearm with a detachable magazine) as magazine being inserted into the weapon. A loaded magazine next to your AR15 in your car is not to be construed as loaded.

That being said..........
Some idiot cop or sheriff may interpret the law any way he pleases and leave it up to a judge.

I just got done arguing not 2 days ago with a sheriff at an especially fuddy LGS in clark county (name will be left out) about how 30 round magazines are not allowed for anyone who isn't law enforcement. I explained to him multiple times that we can possess them, we just cannot import them. I explained to him that the burden is on the seller only and possession is not banned for WA residents. He boldly argued with me that it was illegal for me to carry my pistol with more than a 10 round magazine. And this guy pulls people over for a living.

So.... tread lightly and don't run any stop lights. You'll be fine
The LEO hiring requirements have been dumbed down quite a bit.
This guy is why you want nothing to do with them.
When only bad cops are left...

There is an outdoor gun range I used to enjoy going to, english pit specifically. Is it legal for me to go up there with an ar15 with 30 round magazines and shoot? I am aware the magazine need to be empty and locked in a different container. Is that it? Should I just forget about it and find a cheap place in Oregon to not even risk it? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question was answered on another thread.
Probably be better off renting one of English Pits AR15s. They may even still use 30 rounders. I will miss that place. I could possibly shoot my bolt rifle there for ammo testing.

The LEO hiring requirements have been dumbed down quite a bit.
This guy is why you want nothing to do with them.
When only bad cops are left...
Yeah pretty scary that he was trying to angrily explain to me that only he could have standard capacity magazines. I'd hate to be arguing with him at a traffic stop lol

From a legal standpoint...

You can enter WA with an "assault weapon" as long as you leave with it. You cannot move here with it. You can possess it here, however you can't leave it here, sell it here, etc it must go back home with you. Same with your magazines. Can bring them in, can use and possess them here, so long as you leave with the same amount you brought in.
I have no idea where you're getting this. The Federal interstate transportation laws allows you to drive through WA on your way to another state with your AR, but you can't come to WA and use a gun that is illegal to import to WA.

It's in the definition of import
And here's the actual definition of import from the mag law:

Definition from the actual bill.

"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine the individual transported out of state.
And from the AW ban:
"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.

So what do you see in these definitions that would allow someone to transport an AR or hicaps from Oregon for the day into WA?

And here's the actual definition of import from the mag law:

And from the AW ban:
"Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.

So what do you see in these definitions that would allow someone to transport an AR or hicaps from Oregon for the day into WA?
Damn you're right. So they basically took the original definition of import from WA RCWs and made their own to not only construe commerce?

So does this mean a person can't drive through the state of Washington with HC mags or an AR in their vehicle...say driving up I-5 or across any part of the state to another state, say to Montana or Idaho? Or from Montana or Idaho to Oregon?

So much for the federal highway system or your private vehicle being an extension of your home.

I'll be polite and refrain from calling them a bunch of dicks...

Last Edited:
So does this mean a person can't drive through the state of Washington with HC mags or an AR in their vehicle...say driving up I-5 or across any part of the state to another state, say to Montana or Idaho? Or from Montana or Idaho to Oregon?

So much for the federal highway system or your private vehicle being an extension of your home.

No because as @RX-79G mentioned the interstate transport law allows you to pass through. Just can't stop and use them. I have attended a rifle class in AZ a couple times and most times I did the "avoid CA" route (ID,UT,NV ETC ETC) but I have taken the CA route once or twice just because it's much faster. Spoke with my attorney to verify. Was advised I can travel THRU CA with my SBR's (with requesting approval to atf of course) and my suppressors, and all other items not CA friendly, so long as they're locked up in accordance with CA law and I'm not stopping and using the items.

I have no idea where you're getting this. The Federal interstate transportation laws allows you to drive through WA on your way to another state with your AR, but you can't come to WA and use a gun that is illegal to import to WA.

That makes much more sense.

I read somewhere there were 300,000+ laws in various jurisdictions in the US.
Seems amazing we're all not in the slammer for one thing or another...

Sure glad I refrained from calling them a bunch of dicks...

That makes much more sense.

I read somewhere there were 300,000+ laws in various jurisdictions in the US.
Seems amazing we're all not in the slammer for one thing or another...

Sure glad I refrained from calling them a bunch of dicks...
You don't have to call them dicks, they already know you think they're dicks and they want to put you in the slammer anyways

There is an outdoor gun range I used to enjoy going to, english pit specifically. Is it legal for me to go up there with an ar15 with 30 round magazines and shoot? I am aware the magazine need to be empty and locked in a different container. Is that it? Should I just forget about it and find a cheap place in Oregon to not even risk it? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question was answered on another thread.

ZomboMeme 4427.jpg

I haven't taken the time to read all of the AWB, but in SB5078 (mag ban) there exists an exemption for those coming into WA state with a large capacity mag, and leaving with the same. The question was then directly posed and answered to affirm that... and cited elsewhere in another thread, but that was awhile ago, it's not applicable to me and I'm not going to go looking for it.

The text should be clear enough.

SB5078 reads:

12 providing limited exemptions applicable to certain government
13 officers, agents, employees, or contractors, law enforcement and
14 corrections officers and military members, licensed firearms
15 manufacturers, dealers, and gunsmiths, and persons engaged in sport
16 shooting

The question originated by those that were asking about travelling to WA state to participate in various activities like shooting events, hunting, etc.. It was confirmed that an out of state person engaging in legal shooting activity within the state would not constitute "importation" so long as they left with what they came with.

Would I trust WA LEO's to know that? Nu uh! What do you gain by taking that kind of risk in a state that leans "tyrannical extremist"? YMMV, but "legally" it appears to be allowed.

SB5078 reads:

12 providing limited exemptions applicable to certain government
13 officers, agents, employees, or contractors, law enforcement and
14 corrections officers and military members, licensed firearms
15 manufacturers, dealers, and gunsmiths, and persons engaged in sport
16 shooting
Nope. That's the "as introduced " text. Here is a clip of the same section in the
"as passed" bill. The sport shooting part does not exist.

"1 AN ACT Relating to establishing firearms-related safety measures 2 to increase public safety by prohibiting the manufacture, 3 importation, distribution, selling, and offering for sale of large 4 capacity magazines, and by providing limited exemptions applicable to 5 licensed firearms manufacturers and dealers for purposes of sale to 6 armed forces branches and law enforcement agencies for purposes of 7 sale or transfer outside the state;"

Nope. That's the "as introduced " text. Here is a clip of the same section in the
"as passed" bill. The sport shooting part does not exist.

"1 AN ACT Relating to establishing firearms-related safety measures 2 to increase public safety by prohibiting the manufacture, 3 importation, distribution, selling, and offering for sale of large 4 capacity magazines, and by providing limited exemptions applicable to 5 licensed firearms manufacturers and dealers for purposes of sale to 6 armed forces branches and law enforcement agencies for purposes of 7 sale or transfer outside the state;"
Very possibly. The one I linked might have thrown me off with being labelled as "Latest bill text" and:

1688310910726.png

...then the text quoted above subsequently presented.

Do you have a link to the final form, as signed into law?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top