JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came across some YouTube videos covering the concept of Victory Gardens circa World War II which were encouraged by the Allies to supplement rations as well as take the load off of farmers to support local food supplies in order to support the troops. I was wondering if any members here have experimented with this concept to bolster their preparations, and if so, what are your thoughts and experiences?

So far, this is one of the better series of videos covering the topic I've come across.

If we are talking about a SHTF scenerio and you have unlimited water, then maybe you can raise food for the garden thieves. If you are living on stored water or water you have to filter, forget about gardening. Store vitamin supplements. It will be much cheaper, easier and more secure.

If we are talking about a SHTF scenerio and you have unlimited water, then maybe you can raise food for the garden thieves. If you are living on stored water or water you have to filter, forget about gardening. Store vitamin supplements. It will be much cheaper, easier and more secure.
Thanks for your reply @arakboss. Some context around my scenario: This would be on a relatively large parcel of land with a well and a potential community having similar gardens. It's all hypothetical right now but hoping to discuss with someone that might have some experience with this concept in order to determine if it fits into my long-term preparedness plans.

If it's just to supplement your normal daily food needs, a small "Victory Garden" will get you through. however, if your expecting to live off what you produce, your going to need lots of land and all that goes with it in order to survive, and the more people you need to feed, the greater those requirements!
The Wife and I have been growing our own here in 6 24X10 boxes with hanging planters both over and between for a total of just over 1000 Sq.Feet, and that feeds 4 people for about 5 months! The other months do not produce anything as the temps get too cold to grow! On top of all that, we have several acres of berries we harvest and put up for the season, which is something your really going to need to get good at! What ever you produce you need to be able to can for the season to get you through the non growing times!

When I was growing up in Hawaii, my father always had a Victory Garden. He kept the family supplemented with fresh veggies. There wasn't much money in our household (both of my parents were low level government workers). So then.....I've often wondered how come.......families with land......don't have a garden of their own? BUT, But, but.......they'll take the Govt's Food Stamps (SNAP money).

Ooops.....
Did I touch a raw nerve here?

I grew up with this.......

JFK_ask_not.jpg

Not this.

i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

Aloha, Mark

My experiences tell me I'm growing more of a defeat garden, myself

If "one second after" happened and people were hopping fences to get at the home grown produce, I'd sure hope they like eating mint because that's about all I'm good at growing.

Show me some garden plans centered around what can be grown cyclically. What works for you here in the PNW?
Peas get planted in Spring around the last frost. I picked the last of them today and the bed will be cleaned out and replanted this week for Fall harvest. They will go until frost. Brussels sprouts just got planted a few weeks ago and won't be ready to start picking until late September but will harvest daily until May or so. Tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, cucumbers, squash and pumpkins get started in a small greenhouse in March or April depending on the weather and forecasting. Corn went in 3 weeks ago, direct seeded. Last year it was about 6 feet tall at this time, this year, 6 inches! This year, everything is at least a month later than last year due to global cooling. Beans went in late this year too. Shallots get planted several times a year. The first of them are ready now which is good timining since we used the last of them up this week. Things like lettuce, basil, other herbs, etc can be planted multiple times a year and if you have or build a small greenhouse, you can them pretty much year around. We have some bluebeery plants and everbearing strawberries that do very well with little maintenance and of course, blackberries are everywhere! My wife and I freeze and can certain things that hold up well so we can enjoy them when they are not being picked fresh. Our garden produces far more than we can eat so we share with our kids and grandkids as well as some select friends.

My experiences tell me I'm growing more of a defeat garden, myself

If "one second after" happened and people were hopping fences to get at the home grown produce, I'd sure hope they like eating mint because that's about all I'm good at growing.
Awesome. 100% helpful.

The Victory Garden concept was a government encouraged movement in both world wars. My parents had a book, "Gardens for Victory," on their shelves for decades. I believe it belonged to my grandmother. During WW2, my dad worked for Lockheed Aircraft, then was an Army Air Forces pilot, so he was unable to do any gardening. My mother worked for the US Army Finance Office, she wasn't a gardener. My dad's father was a security guard for the US Navy, so he was working. My dad's mother kept boarders who worked in war industries. However, I have pictures of my grandparents tending a victory garden in their back yard.

The Victory Garden concept was to encourage the raising of simple, fast-growing crops on whatever land was available in the shortest possible time. Like radishes, which grow fast and easily. If you can stomach them. Carrots are pretty simple to grow but take over twice as long. Some leafy, salad-type things grow quickly in warm weather. The important variables are length of growing season, fertility of soil, availability of sunlight, etc.

I've lived in the same place in western Wash. for 35 years. My land is mostly forested. Which goes against most vegetable gardening. Not enough general sunlight, not enough morning sunlight. The shade encourages slugs which devour edibles. Lots of squirrels to rob you one day before harvest. The fruit trees I've experimented with do poorly. Spring starts too late for them and too much shade. They flower like crazy when we get a few clear days in early spring, then it rains for weeks, knocks the flowers off, the pollinators are nowhere to be seen.

My best crop where I live is firewood. I have years of it stacked up and stored away under cover. There are lots better places to attempt to grow vegetable gardens than where I live.

The Victory Garden concept was a government encouraged movement in both world wars. My parents had a book, "Gardens for Victory," on their shelves for decades. I believe it belonged to my grandmother. During WW2, my dad worked for Lockheed Aircraft, then was an Army Air Forces pilot, so he was unable to do any gardening. My mother worked for the US Army Finance Office, she wasn't a gardener. My dad's father was a security guard for the US Navy, so he was working. My dad's mother kept boarders who worked in war industries. However, I have pictures of my grandparents tending a victory garden in their back yard.

The Victory Garden concept was to encourage the raising of simple, fast-growing crops on whatever land was available in the shortest possible time. Like radishes, which grow fast and easily. If you can stomach them. Carrots are pretty simple to grow but take over twice as long. Some leafy, salad-type things grow quickly in warm weather. The important variables are length of growing season, fertility of soil, availability of sunlight, etc.

I've lived in the same place in western Wash. for 35 years. My land is mostly forested. Which goes against most vegetable gardening. Not enough general sunlight, not enough morning sunlight. The shade encourages slugs which devour edibles. Lots of squirrels to rob you one day before harvest. The fruit trees I've experimented with do poorly. Spring starts too late for them and too much shade. They flower like crazy when we get a few clear days in early spring, then it rains for weeks, knocks the flowers off, the pollinators are nowhere to be seen.

My best crop where I live is firewood. I have years of it stacked up and stored away under cover. There are lots better places to attempt to grow vegetable gardens than where I live.
I am now wondering what the difference is between a Victory Garden and a normal vegetable garden?

Which brings us to another aspect of survival and that is trade/barter. I have beans, you have firewood, I trade you a lb of beans for a wheelborrow load of firewood and we both have hot soup to eat.

Propoganda and the dopamine of being a follower/doing your part, even when it is very ineffective.
I think you are right. After doing a few minutes of research it appears as though they were intended to be a moral booster along with providing food. It would appear that are current day community gardens, peoples deck gardens, yard gardens, etc are no different from Victory gardens other than the lack of patriotism involved.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top