JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The market/etc. is not my only investment. I have almost as much equity in my property as I do into my retirement funds. Then there are lesser investments that I hope I never have to use, but would if SHTF.

All that said, if the economy goes down the drain, even to the point I need my SHTF preps, there will be an interim or even early on in many/most SHTF scenarios (short of an asteroid hitting nearby or nuclear war), where $ are needed to pay mortgage, taxes, and other bills in order to hang onto my property and other preps.

Then there is the ultimate SHTF; life goes on as "normal", I live into my 80s, and I need those $ to continue with a roof over my head, food in the pantry and keeping the lights on. :eek:

On another note, I have been in the "market" for a long time. Personally, I have invested in a Vanguard "index fund." Like Mr. Bogle said, "If the entire American economy collapsed, your money would be worthless." As a result of his sage advice, I just added a large sum today. China's markets are collapsing, their currency is in serious trouble. Russia is rife with corruption and the Ruble isn't accepted by anyone except those that are looking for toilet paper. The Arabs are on the ropes, now that the U.S. is the largest oil producer in the world, Great Britain pulled out of the EU because they could see the problems in Greece, Spain, Italy and France with the rising debt and labor strife. Right now, America is in the "catbird" seat and is poised to expand an economy the likes of which the world has never seen. That is provided Mr. Trump is reelected. Sleepy Joe and his cronies are only preparing to gut any burgeoning economy.

I have invested my entire life savings in Spam. Not the email type, but the canned ham stuff. My garage, half my shop and a 40' container are filled with this meat-like product. When it all goes south, can you imagine the lines of hungry city folks that will be lined up to have a Spam "Sammy"? I will only accept precious metal as payment. Ah, Spam the meat substitute of tomorrow! I love the smell of Spam in the morning!

Where's that little barfy guy emoticon when you need him. I've got several huge walnut trees in my hood! That means "SQUIRREL!" Lots and lots of squirrel. :s0149: And what walnuts they don't get. ;)

I have invested my entire life savings in Spam. Not the email type, but the canned ham stuff. My garage, half my shop and a 40' container are filled with this meat-like product. When it all goes south, can you imagine the lines of hungry city folks that will be lined up to have a Spam "Sammy"? I will only accept precious metal as payment. Ah, Spam the meat substitute of tomorrow! I love the smell of Spam in the morning!

Can I get some rice and eggs with that?
Spam,_eggs_and_rice.jpg

Aloha, Mark

My earlier snark about :s0147: aside, I do admit we normally keep some in the rotation. For a quick breakfast, slices of spam and a fried egg is pretty fast. They used to make a cheese spam that was actually pretty good, imho.

Still, for canned meats, we stockpile (and consume) a lot more of the corned beef, like this:

carne de vaca.jpg

Cook up in a pan with egg for breakfast, make tacos or sandwiches, crumpled on salads, etc. But, I digress. :)

What's the sodium content in that hearty can of goodness?

Grabbed four at random:

Palm: 360mg/serving (15%)​
Hereford: 830mg/serving (36%)​
Libby's: 510mg/serving (21%)​
Excelsior: 830mg/serving (36%)​

The first is from Australia, the other three Brazil. IIRC, we have some from Uruguay too, though I think the Argentinian stock has already been consumed.

Hawaii's #1 brand of Corned Beef.
Corned-Beef.jpg
Corned-Beef2.jpg

Why do they make the can in that shape?

Yes, I realize that it's shipped one can up and one can down....repeat....in the case. But, why not a more conventional shape? Is the extra space between cans really that much of an issue?

Aloha, Mark

I hear you. It is about as clear as mud, like much of our tax code. :eek:

Oh, they're just coming out and saying that they want more of the middle class savings taxed. In a convoluted way. To better redistribute to "the needy" how "they" see fit.

IMHO

If "they" could figure out a way to spend folks independent retirement savings (Roth's, 401's, 403's etc), "they" would.

It's "free" money...

:rolleyes:

Well...."TAKING" your hard-earned money (and/or savings, 401, 457, etc...) via taxes or via outright confiscation (because you can afford it and they/we can) has been talked about by the Dems on many occasions.

Nothing new here....move along.

Aloha, Mark

PS....now extend that thought to.....why does the Govt (or say some in the Govt) want you to have to register (and/or get a lic. for) your guns and ammo.:eek:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top