JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll put it here to begin with and keep an eye on it just in case it moves. (off topic?)
TLDR condensed version, amateur radio calls check in, curious, keep reading.

AF7XT

Disclaimer:
I'm an amateur extra and volunteer examiner. Ham Radio may seem something of an exclusive club. I'm posting in preppy because I'm not that guy.
I'm approachable about any aspect of amateur radio. I teach. I give exams for free.
GMRS/FRS is not that far removed from my licensed 70cm (440 Mhz) and while useful it not even the smallest bit of radio spectrum available.

As with anything I teach, you will have to put in the work. I will not do it for you. I will test with integrity of the exam being foremost.

That being said I've signed licenses for one 9-year-old, a Korean war veteran that last held a novice license the year I was born, my now wife, a blind operator, and a dog (I'll elaborate below).
What I'm trying to say is that it really isn't that hard. If you want a crash course, I can club you with 16 hours of PowerPoint. If you want to go at your own pace, I can direct you to online study that should only take a few weeks of hour at a time study that will net an entry license.
However, I strongly recommend that you not be satisfied with the entry technician license. The general license is at least a third remedial study with addition information for HF radio operation.

My (our, I don't do this alone) success rate for the tech exam is well over 90%. Those that plan on taking the general at the same time have only a slightly less success rate. Even those that didn't plan on taking the general exam that were threatened with another 16 hours of PowerPoint (/sarc) managed at least a 60% success rate.

Additional note for the women here (there are women here?) my wife had little to no contact with amateur radio other than citizens band radio and is now an extra and a VE. Although she states it's one of the hardest tests she has ever completed she states that she did it so she could become an unrestricted VE and be able to sit at a table in front of women taking the exam as an example of it can be done.

If you are an amateur radio license holder, please check in.
If you are not an amateur radio operator, I'll help as I can
If you don't care, so be it. I'm not an evangelist, I'm just a tech nerd.

Oh yeah, the dog. We had a club license that we attached to a mobile repeater/hotspot that was installed in/on a tactical dog vest. This way we always had APRS on the dog's location as well as a cross band repeater with the club call. We'll probably do this again sometime but for now it's a bit of a challenge with the current fur buddy.

KG7IXT here.

Extra class, VE and part of the W5YI online national testing team.

I tell everyone, because I've got an Extra class license, doesn't mean I know things...I just know some things.

Love to help people out that have the effort to do so.

NY7D, extra class licensee here. Wow, I'll bet my morse is rusty.....and I used to really dig my Benchers and my AEA keyer.

Was a VE many moons ago, that tag has long expired.

I'll put it here to begin with and keep an eye on it just in case it moves. (off topic?)
TLDR condensed version, amateur radio calls check in, curious, keep reading.

AF7XT

Disclaimer:
I'm an amateur extra and volunteer examiner. Ham Radio may seem something of an exclusive club. I'm posting in preppy because I'm not that guy.
I'm approachable about any aspect of amateur radio. I teach. I give exams for free.
GMRS/FRS is not that far removed from my licensed 70cm (440 Mhz) and while useful it not even the smallest bit of radio spectrum available.

As with anything I teach, you will have to put in the work. I will not do it for you. I will test with integrity of the exam being foremost.

That being said I've signed licenses for one 9-year-old, a Korean war veteran that last held a novice license the year I was born, my now wife, a blind operator, and a dog (I'll elaborate below).
What I'm trying to say is that it really isn't that hard. If you want a crash course, I can club you with 16 hours of PowerPoint. If you want to go at your own pace, I can direct you to online study that should only take a few weeks of hour at a time study that will net an entry license.
However, I strongly recommend that you not be satisfied with the entry technician license. The general license is at least a third remedial study with addition information for HF radio operation.

My (our, I don't do this alone) success rate for the tech exam is well over 90%. Those that plan on taking the general at the same time have only a slightly less success rate. Even those that didn't plan on taking the general exam that were threatened with another 16 hours of PowerPoint (/sarc) managed at least a 60% success rate.

Additional note for the women here (there are women here?) my wife had little to no contact with amateur radio other than citizens band radio and is now an extra and a VE. Although she states it's one of the hardest tests she has ever completed she states that she did it so she could become an unrestricted VE and be able to sit at a table in front of women taking the exam as an example of it can be done.

If you are an amateur radio license holder, please check in.
If you are not an amateur radio operator, I'll help as I can
If you don't care, so be it. I'm not an evangelist, I'm just a tech nerd.

Oh yeah, the dog. We had a club license that we attached to a mobile repeater/hotspot that was installed in/on a tactical dog vest. This way we always had APRS on the dog's location as well as a cross band repeater with the club call. We'll probably do this again sometime but for now it's a bit of a challenge with the current fur buddy.
Well this is awesome! Thanks!

And, welcome!
73!
KI7**H

Got my general at the same time as my technician a long while back, but hardly put it to use. I put a little Larsen NMO2/70 on my Jeep, but probably need to check SWR on it so I don't fry the radio. I need to get it sorted out at some point, but my official call sign makes it a little awkward to run a random radio check.

WB9SYN since 1975. Extra. VE, help with exams with GEARS and RAGS (Gorge East Amateur Radios and Radio Amateurs of the Gorge). Electrical engineer. Delighted to help any way I can. Slightly active on 2M / 75cM. Have HF gear but no antenna yet (rental house).

Hello @kopcicle . Yup. There are lots of women members of NWFA. Including a fair number who post actively on the forum. Some have obviously female handles. Most dont.

Dad began helping me with electronics theory & Morse when I was age 13 or so. I received my first ham license in mid-1960 when I wasn't quite age 16. I've been continuously licensed ever since. However, I'm now pushing age 78 and not so active on the air anymore.

Anybody wanting to increase the range of their 2 meter rig, I have available an 11-element beam antenna and rotator w/controller, all available at practically a give-away price.

Dad began helping me with electronics theory & Morse when I was age 13 or so. I received my first ham license in mid-1960 when I wasn't quite age 16. I've been continuously licensed ever since. However, I'm now pushing age 78 and not so active on the air anymore.

Anybody wanting to increase the range of their 2 meter rig, I have available an 11-element beam antenna and rotator w/controller, all available at practically a give-away price.
I'd be interested in the beam...can PM me with the details about it.

Technician license here. Looking to get my general
Same here !

I like messing with old radio equipment as well.

Top is an old mobile 2 meter only Radio Shack mobile rig, center is an 80s era Icom 2 meter and the bottom is an all frequency Icom HF.

All work very well!

IMG_20220725_092108851.jpg

K**** here, my interest in radio started at an early age, we lived in the desert the only entertainment was board games and am radio , my curiosity grew from am radio into HF/ SW listening on a old multi band given to me. I lost interest about the time I hit puberty I found girls much more I interesting. Many years later, found myself in the jungles of South America, where the only way to communicate was HF, or vhf relayed comms. I have a small unimpressive HF and vhf radio/ computer room and occasionally work a few bands a couple of times a week

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top