JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It all depends...
On where I am going and what I am doing.

Where I live , Open Carry would likely cause some sort of notice or fuss and I do not like to do either when in public view.
So its mostly concealed carry for me.

With that said....
Other parts of the state , my activities and other places that I have been....
No one has ever batted an eye at my open carry practice.

Why must it be one or the other...?
Life and situations vary.....so should you , when carrying a firearm.
Andy

It all depends...
On where I am going and what I am doing.

Where I live , Open Carry would likely cause some sort of notice or fuss and I do not like to do either when in public view.
So its mostly concealed carry for me.

With that said....
Other parts of the state , my activities and other places that I have been....
No one has ever batted an eye at my open carry practice.

Why must it be one or the other...?
Life and situations vary.....so should you , when carrying a firearm.
Andy
If people continue to ask the same question they will continue to get a magnitude of opinions for a myriad of people from all different walks of life living in different areas. Unless I'm in the woods or at the range - open carry is counterproductive to my safety and the ability preserve the second amendment in a positive view of others.

open carry is counterproductive to my safety and the ability preserve the second amendment in a positive view of others.
Essentially I agree with this however like I once posted before political, sociodemographics are going to play a big part in this.

Would I OC in a place like LA, Seattle or Even Portland ? HeII no !

Now here in little 'Ol WIckuip Junction would I OC ? maybe if I believed genuine threats exist but in the big scheme of things they do not typically.

However many do OC here and I see it daily, but WJ is probably pushing 90% conservative population given the large # of American flags that are displayed (and even still some with the 'T' name on them) so it is most likely OC here is NOT going to scare enough what few (if any) 'antis' that live here to have any effect 2A wise.

When I lived in a place where the back fence line was the start of BLM land, I OC'd pretty much daily. Now I CC almost exclusively. Most of the pushback on OC is in response to attention wh*res who go to a suburban Starbucks in Beaverton or someplace like that with a slung AK and then act surprised when they get the attention they are so desperately seeking. I don't like that, and I don't think it's wise, and I think they should be able to do it, and I think it's fine if they are faux inconvenienced a little for their trouble.

Essentially I agree with this however like I once posted before political, sociodemographics are going to play a big part in this.

Now here in little 'Ol WIckuip Junction would I OC ? maybe if I believed genuine threats exist but in the big scheme of things they do not typically.

However many do OC here and I see it daily, but WJ is probably pushing 90% conservative population given the large # of American flags that are displayed (and even still some with the 'T' name on them) so it is most likely OC here is NOT going to scare enough what few (if any) 'antis' that live here to have any effect 2A wise.
That's exactly what I stated. Different people with different living environments. My buddy lives in remote Alaska. They all open carry. That makes complete sense to me. Open carry in Portland not so much. People need to use their brain. No matter how little it is an assess their surroundings and then proceed. Open carry has its place. No doubt about it. The city just isn't it in my opinion.

Well, you'd be arrested right quick if you tried it in LA... or anywhere in CA for that matter. You might get a stern talking-to in Yolo or Shasta counties, but otherwise, no dice. There is no such thing as OC in CA and barely even a CC at least in populated counties under CA's may issue rule. Alex Villanueva, the woke SJW posing as LA County Sheriff, has as much as said "don't even bother applying for a permit in my county." He forgot to add, "unless you are someone famous, guarding someone famous, or politically-connected, or a significant donor to my campaign." You can poop on the street w/ while shooting smack on Market Street in SF and nobody will bother you. But show your piece? You'll have boots on your throat. And I'm still unclear about the (likely unconstitutional) OC statutes in Multnomah County -- the way I read it is you can OC, but only if you're a CHL holder. Which begs the question do cops get to walk up to you and demand your CHL if they see you strapped?

When I lived in a place where the back fence line was the start of BLM land, I OC'd pretty much daily. Now I CC almost exclusively. Most of the pushback on OC is in response to attention wh*res who go to a suburban Starbucks in Beaverton or someplace like that with a slung AK and then act surprised when they get the attention they are so desperately seeking. I don't like that, and I don't think it's wise, and I think they should be able to do it, and I think it's fine if they are faux inconvenienced a little for their trouble.
If they are OC in accordance with the law, why should they be inconvenienced at all? Would be a 4th Amendment violation without probable cause.

I'm afraid I'm not following your logic here: You're arguing it's OK for the state to violate a citizen's constitutional rights as long as said citizen wants his/her rights violated?
It's probably not alright, but I'm not losing sleep over it. The right way for it to go would be for the dispatcher to educate the caller and be done with it. Until that becomes SOP, a couple officers walking in and having a polite conversation in response to (foolish) alarm by the other customers is not a terrible infringement of a right IMO.

Plus, yes, it's exactly the attention they are craving, so deep down if it doesn't happen they are sad.

The right way for it to go would be for the dispatcher to educate the caller
Yes it would however assuming the dispatcher even KNOWS the regs him/herself and has the ability to let 'cooler heads prevail' and NOT blow it out of proportion and somehow turn a simple call about someone OCing into a major crime.

I experienced something similar once (not gun related) where a dispatcher did just this - completely misunderstood what I was saying about something I was assisting with and damn near called SWAT out.

How often do we hear 911 calls replayed in the news and the dispatcher often seems to misinterpret what the caller is saying even WHEN the caller is calm and collected and NOT hysterical.

I'll admit I've never, not once, seen an open carried AK. Except online of course.
A Yemeni boy poses with a Kalashnikov assault rifle during a gathering of newly-recruited Huth...jpg

Yes it would however assuming the dispatcher even KNOWS the regs him/herself and has the ability to let 'cooler heads prevail' and NOT blow it out of proportion and somehow turn a simple call about someone OCing into a major crime.

I experienced something similar once (not gun related) where a dispatcher did just this - completely misunderstood what I was saying about something I was assisting with and damn near called SWAT out.

How often do we hear 911 calls replayed in the news and the dispatcher often seems to misinterpret what the caller is saying even WHEN the caller is calm and collected and NOT hysterical.
I called WSP once to get some advice on how to lawfully carry in WA on a mountain bike trip I was planning. Since, of course, our OR CHL is not recognized by WA. The nice police lady told my only option was to open carry... which is impractical and dangerous on a mountain bike. Then she added, "even though you may carry openly in a proper holster as long as you are not a prohibited person, we do not encourage it... somebody will see your gun, call us, and we are obligated to respond... probably best if you left your gun at home."

And that's how our governments tend to view our Second Amendment, isn't it? Sure you have the "right," but we're going to make it all but impossible for you to exercise. This was, of course, the impetus behind Heller. Oregon finally got wise to this scheme with SB554. I am hoping the USSC rules correctly on Corlett in October... providing President Harris isn't successful a packing the court before then. This should open the door to a number of challenges to states making these meaningless but onerous anti-gun legislations. It makes me smile when an uber-Left yellow-journalism rags like Vox say the upcoming challenge could "gut America's gun laws." The thing they (the woke media lapdogs) refuse to acknowledge is that there is one gun law, and it was passed in 1789. And it says that none of these states can do what they are doing. But we the people let it happen... As they say, elections have consequences. Maybe just this once, it will go our way. https://www.vox.com/2021/4/26/22364...ate-rifle-corlett-shootings-kavanaugh-barrett

I saw a guy OC'ing while doing yard work.
100% support peoples choice to do so in a safe way. Conduct and dress yourself accordingly. We allow the same societal shaming to condition us to hide what we supoort or are passionate about. Just like what they've done with face masks. Those that want to educate and spread awareness and make it common.. I dont take issue with so long as they do so responsibly and can articulate themselves.

There is always a right time and place. This varies person to person and place to place.. There is also a right and wrong way to present oneself. Mil-Sim larping is not OCing. Carrying a rifle right next to a school/theater or other past "event" locations is not intellegenty OCing. Carrying a long arm into a confined space like a store/shop/restaurant is not intelligently OCing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top