JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is an OWB holster open carry if your shirt is partially obscuring the package? Do I have to like swipe my shirt to the side in order for it to be open carry? If I put on a jacket or a sweater and it covers the OWB holster, am I now carrying concealed?

If I have a pistol in a paper bag and the bag is in my hand, is that CC or OC or some other thing that's not covered by those two sets of laws?

What if I have it on a seat next to me in a car in a backpack that's zippered up, does that mean anything, or should I put it in the trunk for the trip?

Good Lord.... If you can't see it, it's concealed. If it's mostly obstructed, it's concealed.

Without a CHL, you can't legally conceal a firearm. Without a CHL, local jurisdictions can restrict open carry and loaded firearms.

Get an Oregon CHL.

"if I'm deliberately hiding a gun, is it concealed?"

Yes. Yes it is.
Yea but what if the zipper on the backpack is unzipped but you still can't see the gun? Haha.

If you can't see the gun then it's concealed. Even if you just threw a towel/blanket/hat over it. It's obviously being hidden. Which means it's being concealed.

Short answer. Get a CHL. Get training. Read the laws. I wouldn't look for legal advice on this forum…… it won't hold up in court. Haha.

Yea but what if the zipper on the backpack is unzipped but you still can't see the gun? Haha.

If you can't see the gun then it's concealed. Even if you just threw a towel/blanket/hat over it. It's obviously being hidden. Which means it's being concealed.

Short answer. Get a CHL. Get training. Read the laws. I wouldn't look for legal advice on this forum…… it won't hold up in court. Haha.
But what if I'm carrying it in my @Stomper pocket and wearing the Borat swimsuit?

But what if I'm carrying it in my @Stomper pocket and wearing the Borat swimsuit?
With how much can fit in that wallet….. definitely concealed. Haha.
085576E7-ED95-422E-B9A4-B35B96CD6523.jpeg

He's CC-ing this….
BF3B83EA-2D53-476A-8EFC-1269BC3A042D.jpeg

Can you find it, and would you want to if you did?

When l was still new to OR (no CHL yet) l got shaken down by the MCSO for having a pistol in a pistol case in my vehicle.

"What's in the case?".
"The gun case?".
"Yeah.".
"My gun."
"Can l SEE it?".
"I'd prefer to leave it where it is.".
"No... can l see it, is it visible from HERE?".
"You can see the case... it IS a pistol case after all..."

Busted... Unlawful Posession of a Weapon because it wasnt readily visible. I was still operating according to AZ law which states that if any part of the gun, holster, or case is visible it's not concealed. The good deputy politely reminded me that l wasn't in AZ. Ain't that the truth.

It's a misdemeanor, only life-altering for a brief period (fine, no jail time, expenses) but getting my keys, phone, and impounded truck back were aggravating and time-sucking exercises in government apathy. I wasn't allowed to purchase a firearm for 1 yr.

The deputy could have told me to go home (l was less than a mile away) and don't do it again. It would have had the same end effect. But l was a pretty attractive target at midnight on a Friday; I'm not dangerous, stone sober, not gonna fight or resist, and at the end of a late Friday shift in SE Portland, they decided to end it with me rather than take the chance of a domestic call or fatality accident, gobs of paperwork, potential danger, etc.

I got REAL familiar with ORS 166... you probably should too.

When l was still new to OR (no CHL yet) l got shaken down by the MCSO for having a pistol in a pistol case in my vehicle.

"What's in the case?".
"The gun case?".
"Yeah.".
"My gun."
"Can l SEE it?".
"I'd prefer to leave it where it is.".
"No... can l see it, is it visible from HERE?".
"You can see the case... it IS a pistol case after all..."

Busted... Unlawful Posession of a Weapon because it wasnt readily visible. I was still operating according to AZ law which states that if any part of the gun, holster, or case is visible it's not concealed. The good deputy politely reminded me that l wasn't in AZ. Ain't that the truth.

It's a misdemeanor, only life-altering for a brief period (fine, no jail time, expenses) but getting my keys, phone, and impounded truck back were aggravating and time-sucking exercises in government apathy. I wasn't allowed to purchase a firearm for 1 yr.

The deputy could have told me to go home (l was less than a mile away) and don't do it again. It would have had the same end effect. But l was a pretty attractive target at midnight on a Friday; I'm not dangerous, stone sober, not gonna fight or resist, and at the end of a late Friday shift in SE Portland, they decided to end it with me rather than take the chance of a domestic call or fatality accident, gobs of paperwork, potential danger, etc.

I got REAL familiar with ORS 166... you probably should too.
Should have told him you had your favorite dildo in that case. Hahaha. Trip him up real quick. Then when he asked to see inside you say you can go get a warrant. I'll wait.

I think you may have voluntarily let him violate your rights without knowing it……

When I was visiting Ore. I asked about open carry and what exactly qualified. No one could provide a set standard other than you will know it when you see it.
When it came right down to it, No one cared about the old couple fueling up a truck and trailer in Southern Ore. DR

When I was visiting Ore. I asked about open carry and what exactly qualified. No one could provide a set standard other than you will know it when you see it.
When it came right down to it, No one cared about the old couple fueling up a truck and trailer in Southern Ore. DR
This is true, but Oregon allows local jurisdictions to restrict firearms. I don't know that Medford or Grants Pass have any restrictions, but I know Eugene, Salem and Portland all have them.

If you're going to rock the open carry, know the jurisdictions and own the open carry; don't try to hide it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads