JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apologies, I'm sure this topic has been done before, but using the search function I did not see a specific thread pertinent to my specific position for the group.

As a Second Amendment originalist, I am loathe to support any restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms. Keep and bear are given equal weight in the Bill Of Rights, one coming before the other solely for logical flow of the language. The Constitution doesn't equivocate: Shall not be infringed has no qualifications, no asterisks, and nothing to imply that our right to bear arms should be subject to popular opinion. That said, I personally do not favor open carry of firearms. Full disclosure: I have done it and used to do it fairly regularly. Now I will only carry concealed, and generally try to avoid jurisdictions where I am not legally able to do so.

1. Recent events have shown that -- in contravention of the intentions of the Framers and of the language of the Constitution itself -- that our rights are indeed subject to popular opinion. Setting aside for a moment all the lies about lawful gun owners, all the fallacies proffered by gun-grabbers, all the intentional distortion of the data, we should recognize that our rights really are subject to the whims of even the most ignorant among us. Imagine your typical anti-gunner is a smorgasbord of the ideological sycophant, the pacifist, the soccer mom, the authoritarian, the nanny-statist who are at once utterly frightened by firearms, ignorant to their function and capabilities, and happy to place us -- the least-criminal demographic -- in the same group as street thugs, gang-bangers, and incel school shooters. To use a pun, they are indeed triggered by the mere sight of a firearm. Right or wrong, and whether we like it or not, enough of these people are compelled to take what they consider "action" usually in the form of voting for anti-gun legislators who are well-funded by the statist cabal and who will happily disarm you and me (as long as they get to keep their private armed security). I see no utility in setting these folks in motion, and compelling them to weaponize their fear against us. We ought not be giving them any more ammunition to come after us. Pun also intended.

2. Don't ask, don't show, don't tell: I've never seen the tactical utility of an openly-displayed firearm in day-to-day life. I could see a few exceptions -- like the bumbling McCluskys and their horrid display of weapon handling and trigger discipline -- but only in those very acute circumstances where you are defending your property, but out in public I see no reason to expose yourself as the first one the angry mob will want to take out. The power of concealment is the tactical advantage should you ever find yourself in a situation where god forbid you have to use it. I've always been taught "don't ask, don't show, don't tell." Don't ask another person (unless you know them or are LEO with a legitimate lawful purpose) if they are carrying -- it is none of your business; Don't show your gun -- it scares people and you lose your tactical advantage; Don't tell -- don't announce that you have a concealed weapon, see: "don't show." Thinking tactically, were I depraved enough to shoot up a public place, the first thing I'd do is take out the armed security, if any. In my view, that Glock on your hip might as well be a target painted on your center mass.

To be unequivocally clear: I will never support any restrictions on our mutual right to keep and bear arms. This includes open carry laws. But I would ask my fellow gun owners to think carefully about the reasons they might consider OC, or why they do if they are currently. Also, this is not a judgment on my part: If you think OC is right for you, then do it. You do not have to justify your personal decision to me or anyone else. But just consider the potential unintended consequences up to and including soccer moms wetting themselves and calling their rep to "demand action."

What say you?

I open carry because back in my time only a charlatan would hide his flintlock.

I open carry in the woods, whose gonna care or notice? I don't think wild life figured out how to use phones to make a false police call. In the store, I'm in and out so sometimes I forget I still have a gun on my side. Usually don't.

Why would you paint a target on yourself and invite unnecessary attention?

You're not going to change anyone's mind by open carrying and you're not going to deter any bad intentions.

However, you will attract attention you may not want and in this day and age, may not go your way.

I open carry because back in my time only a charlatan would hide his flintlock.

I open carry in the woods, whose gonna care or notice? I don't think wild life figured out how to use phones to make a false police call. In the store, I'm in and out so sometimes I forget I still have a gun on my side. Usually don't.
Sure. I open carry in the woods. Totally different dynamic. By "public" I meant Safeway, where soccer moms are frequently found and will even call 911 to report a "man with a semiautomatic pistol." :)

Why would you paint a target on yourself and invite unnecessary attention?

You're not going to change anyone's mind by open carrying and you're not going to deter any bad intentions.

However, you will attract attention you may not want and in this day and age, may not go your way.
Yeah, pretty much my position. I see no practical purpose to it. Looks like you're in PDX? I'm not an expert on those laws, but I believe in Multnomah County you can OC only w/ a valid OREGON CHL? This begs the question, does this invite scrutiny from cops who would see your roscoe and demand you produce a CHL?

I'll take another swing at the dead horse. Or whatever is left of it that is...... It's dumb in my opinion. But it's your right so knock yourself out. Personally I like knowing that no one knows I have a gun. That whole gray man thing....

Gray man, straw man........man I'm tired of the monikers man. I'm also tired of working for the man, man.

It's a RIGHT! In fact, a GOD GIVEN RIGHT, so why shouldn't I be allowed to use it as I see fit? I watched SHANE (it's a movie, I like it and nothing else worth watching was on) and (GASP!) they all were walking around with open carry! GASP! No one was giving them trouble about it! GASP! There wasn't even any discussion of concealed carry vs open carry! DOUBLE GASP! Of course in the GUNSMOKE I watched before "Shane", about half the people were open carrying, and the dance hall/pleasure palace (as the owner, a woman, called it "a pleasure palace" to Miss Kitty) madam grabbed a Remington .41 double derringer for concealment, so maybe someone in Shane was carrying concealed too, but being concealed I didn't know and no one cared. ANOTHER DOUBLE GASP!

If everyone worried more about themselves, and what they are/were doing more, and less about what everyone else who is using their GOD-GIVEN CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS was doing, and not trying to invent new "constitutional" "rights" (small caps/quotes on both), the world would be a better place.

I had a job where I had to interact with a wide swath of the public, and we had open carry, partly concealed, badly concealed, and completely concealed people come in. With open and party (shirt hanging slightly over) I would ask which Glock/HK,/whatever and if 9mm or .45. Some were surprised I knew guns, some were surprised I spotted their open carry or surprised I spotted their horribly concealed pistol if it wasn't open carry, but no one was given grief by me. If they asked if there was a problem, I said it was fine with me, it was not in my job description to harass people there to spend money, be careful, and don't shoot anyone who didn't need it. A lot of them seemed surprised they weren't being harassed, but hey, they have a RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms, and I support the Constitution.

It's a RIGHT! In fact, a GOD GIVEN RIGHT, so why shouldn't I be allowed to use it as I see fit? I watched SHANE (it's a movie, I like it and nothing else worth watching was on) and (GASP!) they all were walking around with open carry! GASP! No one was giving them trouble about it! GASP! There wasn't even any discussion of concealed carry vs open carry! DOUBLE GASP! Of course in the GUNSMOKE I watched before "Shane", about half the people were open carrying, and the dance hall/pleasure palace (as the owner, a woman, called it "a pleasure palace" to Miss Kitty) madam grabbed a Remington .41 double derringer for concealment, so maybe someone in Shane was carrying concealed too, but being concealed I didn't know and no one cared. ANOTHER DOUBLE GASP!

If everyone worried more about themselves, and what they are/were doing more, and less about what everyone else who is using their GOD-GIVEN CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS was doing, and not trying to invent new "constitutional" "rights" (small caps/quotes on both), the world would be a better place.

I had a job where I had to interact with a wide swath of the public, and we had open carry, partly concealed, badly concealed, and completely concealed people come in. With open and party (shirt hanging slightly over) I would ask which Glock/HK,/whatever and if 9mm or .45. Some were surprised I knew guns, some were surprised I spotted their open carry or surprised I spotted their horribly concealed pistol if it wasn't open carry, but no one was given grief by me. If they asked if there was a problem, I said it was fine with me, it was not in my job description to harass people there to spend money, be careful, and don't shoot anyone who didn't need it. A lot of them seemed surprised they weren't being harassed, but hey, they have a RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms, and I support the Constitution.
As I stated in my OP: My position in no way questions your right to OC. I absolutely agree you have that right, and fully defend it.

Not everyone believes in god. Not everyone believes that guns are a "god-given" right. That's a tough argument to have, guns AND religion.

Can you really compare modern, woke AmeriKa with the Western Frontier? Where most men went strapped and had a Winchester in the scabbard on their horse?

Different world, different time, different morals, different values and most of all Respect... Something our society is greatly lacking these days.

I respect your right to choose to OC, it's your God given, or higher deities given right to protect yourself. No argument. Some choose to OC, other chose to CC and still others don't carry at all. Everyone makes the choice that fits them, their convictions and they're lifestyle.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that an AR slung at low ready in Walmart somehow helps our cause.

Can you really compare modern, woke AmeriKa with the Western Frontier? Where most men went strapped and had a Winchester in the scabbard on their horse?

Different world, different time, different morals, different values and most of all Respect... Something our society is greatly lacking these days.

I respect your right to choose to OC, it's your God given, or higher deities given right to protect yourself. No argument. Some choose to OC, other chose to CC and still others don't carry at all. Everyone makes the choice that fits them, their convictions and they're lifestyle.
Perfectly-stated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads