JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, I hate to say it. But if it came down to what I can jog with, sporting only a backpack, this scenario presents a strong argument for .22lr.
I've put a LOT of thought into this being the action I'd take, as I am a big fan of 22. Compact and light and I could pack a bunch more than the alternative options. Wouldn't be good for any dangerous situations, but if you're a good shot, silent, and quick, you should be more than fine for most any situation. The part that worries me about this is winter clothing on larger people. Yes, a few 22 rounds in the same spot could cause shock, but it's more of a risk than a larger caliber solely because that gives more time for a bad guy to inflict damage of his own on me and mine.

I plan on just hunkering down, biggest threat would be an earthquake that levels my ranch style house. No point in running to the hills when all my resources are here. That all changes for a Red Dawn scenario.

I don't plan on encountering any authorities - I spend about 80% of my time at home, so the chances are good that I will be home if SHTF suddenly and the authorities will be nowhere near it; they will be in the city dealing with the chaos.

That said, I have a GHB with a 'stash' handgun in it in my car. That gun is expendable. I have plenty more at home. Also, it will be concealed, and I doubt that authorities will be frisking everybody - they will be too busy with other tasks.

Jebus, 3k a .22 is pretty heavy..
Yeah, it's heavy. Yeah, I have some physical issues, but fortunately, brute force and raw strength isn't my big problem. Stamina and constant pain regardless of what I do or don't do is.. I think you'd find I would find a nice little spot not too far from home and disappear. Most likely my first order of business would be a dugout. You need shelter, and water. Those things I have a pretty good idea of where to obscurely secure. Most likely though in a true emergency, the 4wd would likely go with.

This is only if my house were uninhabitable.

My truck locked in 4 low would make a decent battering ram. And at that point insurance be damned!

My truck locked in 4 low would make a decent battering ram. And at that point insurance be damned!

Trees over a foot thick make great bollards. I have tried to uproot relatively new stumps of 1' diameter trees with a 20K# dozer and failed.

21acvis.jpg

My perhaps non realistic physical fitness goal is to be able AGAIN steadily walk ONE HOUR carrying a 25 pound backpack TOTAL load out. Recent health setbacks have me struggling to catch back up with this.

No bug out 4x4. No big gas tank trials bike. No good pedal mountain bike. No cart. No walker. No nothing. Just me and my legs. This will also require a severe downsizing of what I can carry on my back.

We were once on a 30 minute HARD wild fire evac. The spot fire went from a small spot to a 3rd alarm watershed dispatch within only 15 minutes. SHTF can happen so quickly. Thus the small back pack.

I may have to ditch the weapons. A USGI M2 Carbine with five 30 round mags with ammo, cleaning kit and mag pouch weigh out at about 14 pounds or so.
So what does that leave me? No enough stuff.

Water. Two or three MREs. Mosquito netting. A thick silver survival blanket. A good Ham-CB receiver. Plus all the little stuff. Flash light. Paracord. Thin tarp. Maps, Whistle. Clothing. Etc. Etc. Difficult to do.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code and NFA Laws and BATFE rules and regulations apply. Your gun laws may vary greatly.

The Heretic] I would also include this and some ammo for it: [ATTACH alt="IMGP3338.jpg said:
602079[/ATTACH]

It weighs less than a pound and is a takedown, so it is compact and light.

If I ever get suppressors, I would include one in .22 caliber rated for centerfire.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this?

I also plan to carry a rifle. This brings to mind a very important detail that I always think of... in 2006, during hurricane Katrina, due to the looting and nature that people were reverting to, police and law enforcement in New Orleans were told to take firearms when they are seen in the streets. There were many surrounding circumstances and it was done as a "safety precaution" for the public, but it sounds like bee ess to me. How would you plan on handling that scenario? As much as no one plans on handing over their rifle, 10 itchy, underpaid soldiers in bad moods, pointing guns at your wife or children may make many turn theirs over. As much as it's a numbers game, and avoiding cities is paramount, what if the seizing of firearms includes small towns and mountain areas as well?
That said, most on here also own body armor, how does everyone feel about the attention that could bring on you?

Post Katrina laws have prohibited firearms confiscation & prohibitions on carry where they would otherwise normally be legal.

Excludes voluntary transporting & voluntary housing an individual tho.

So Arms would most assuredly be legally confiscated should you chose to be transported & housed, say at a FEMA camp.

Can't imagine many folks on here would chose suchly, but future circumstances can't be predicted.

See:

In a leave right now situation, the answer has been the same for me for years. My Mossberg 500 with a handful of both slugs and buck and my glock 19 with a few magazines. I'm not going to war, I'm getting the heck out of Dodge.

In this hypothetical, where I can only carry a firearm and I'm on foot with no vehicle....well it depends on why I'm having to leave. Each firearm is a tool. But if it's a natural disaster, like a fire, and I know that in a few miles I'll be safe and society isn't going crazy...I take the firearm (with ammo) that holds the most sentimental value to me. If the situation is a societal collapse/EOTWAWKI then sentimentality is out the window and I take what is practical for the situation.

If I'm leaving any firearms behind and not expecting to return then I plan on removing the bolt or taking the firing pin. I can stash them somewhere and if I return, great, if not then my guns won't be used by any potential criminals.

My intent would be to bug in. And as @Kruel J said, take a front row seat to watch the show unfold. If getting on the move were the only way to go:
AR with 10-15 loaded mags
Glock19 with 8 reloads
Ruger 22/45 with a brick or two of .22

I could manage that, the wife can jump the food, supplies and life straws...

:eek:

For the OP scenario, think like a backpacker - they do the travel/camping part for fun; but without the SHTF problems.

Assuming I'd just packed for a 1 week hiking trip when the evacuation orders were given, :cool:, I'd take freeze-dried backpacking food, a lightweight water filter, a map of the state or area, adjustable-declination compass, rain gear, medicines, blister repair/small first aid kit, extra clothes, fire starter, headlamp/flashlight and extra batteries, sun protection (sunscreen and floppy hat, sunglasses), Swiss Army knife, tent or bivy bag, pack, bear spray, hiking boots and extra socks, MSR XGK or MSR Pocket Rocket stove, fuel, small pot, spoon, 2 each 1-liter water bottles, Potable Aqua tablets in case water filter fails, extra eye glasses, sleeping bag and foam pad, backpack with comfortable hip belt to transfer the load to the hips, not the shoulders, water proof stuff sacks for everything.

Warmlite makes light weight tents for backpacking and climbing:

Tent sizes and weights:

MSR pocket rocket stove (2.6 ounces):

Several models of pocket rocket available:

The MSR XGK stove would be better for long term SHTF due to variety of fuels it will burn: white gas, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, av gas, and more. Get some spare parts too:

For those concerned about confiscation, many long guns break down and will fit in a full sized backpack. May be forced to take only one handgun due to weight unless you're in good shape. We might as well all decide right now to take 9mm handguns so we can share ammo. ;) Or, maybe we should all have .22LR - more rounds for the oppressors. :)

I always said that I would bug in. I would still BUG IN unless a fire, flood or earthquake with EQ DAMAGE made me leave.

Now, if a CLOSE fire or a flood forced me out of my home - I am prepared. My husband is prepared.

I would ONLY take one firearm with me and it is my MAIN firearm. It is a CZ 455 Lux bolt action rifle (22lr) and I would take one (Two boxes?!) BULK box of ammo if on foot.

One to two boxes of ammo with a rifle on a sling or in your hand while taking a cane, just in case I need it on and off, plus a pack/bag including important papers would be pretty dang heavy for me to carry!

I am 69 years old and smaller statue even though I used to be pretty dang strong for my height due to a LIFE long passion for swimming and walking AND working inside (Job.) and outside (Building my former house and lots of YARD WORK!) most of my life.

I no longer drive now.

Now, if my MT husband who is taller (6'1" tall.) and much stronger than me could carry his stuff with him and NOT drive... it would still be a chore. He walks 2 miles every single day and does some other arm and other STRENGTH exercises.

He is on Rx medicine and I am NOT on any medicine but Bayer aspirin and a multi vitamin/mineral at my age. I use Visine eyedrops on and off if I need them.

He is on Rx medicine and if he does not have it - he could die. He is on a breathing machine for part of a 24 hour day too. He is a senior citizen too. But he is much stronger and could PICK ME UP IN THE AIR if he had to do this. He has done this on and off just to prove that he could do this.

I have a battery charger, I brought one with me from back east, and he has an inverter for emergency use not just the generator for his breathing machine.

Another thing, if he is packing his pistol and/or a rifle and if I had other things to take with us - a list of them... I might just TAKE my main 2 knives and an axe and LEAVE MY RIFLE and ammo at home. Buck and a Ka-Bar. FIXED BLADE only for me due to my arthritis.

Another thing is if it is really CRAZY LAND out there and NOT a super natural WEATHER RELATED disaster - I would ALWAYS STAY IN MY HOME before venturing out into la la land.

I have a generator with fuel. I have a water source with an excellent filter, more than one system, and other supplies here at home. And if I had to exit the house due to earthquake damage - I would still pitch a TENT in my back yard and have my supplies close to me.

There are good and bad people in rural areas, small villages and in the cities too.

People who are only used to one type of LOCATION in life don't always see the GOOD in people even though the bad people MAKE THE NEWS more than the good people.

I was born (NY) and raised (MD) on the East Coast. I have been through hurricanes and even as a USN bride during Nam time in VA. The only way that I left that beach cottage was if I could take my dog with me. And my husband was usually OVERSEAS but he was home (VA) and he found a place for me to stay with friends. They let me bring my dog with me too. He had to LEAVE since they move the ships out to sea.

I LIVED THROUGH THE 60'S RIOTS IN MARYLAND TOO! Stayed home and paid attention to the news.

There was an earthquake in the Great Lake region - boonies - farm/lake country one year when I lived back there with my late husband. I forgot the year but the dining room chandelier moved! I was home for it. Lived there for over 30 years in the house that we built with MANY year round BAD storms not just blizzards that left you with NO power and telephone service. Stranded and at home during those blizzards too. One time after work - I could NOT make it home.

Out here in Montana - earthquakes on and off. The first one that I lived through was while I was writing serial numbers on my FORMER handguns and former 3 rifles for my prenuptial agreement and my MT soon to be husband was helping me. I was in the brand new built apartment before I built this house. In this college town. We cross referenced our guns, his and her STUFF and his and her financial papers to take to the lawyer. I laughed and asked him if it was a SIGN FROM GOD to get married or not when it happened and we had our papers/pens in hand. LOL

Fires around here? Check! Forest fires, stupid @@@ campers, BUMS/TRANSIENTS and arsonists starting fires? YES! Heck, they had some arsonists up in peaceful Lincoln County a couple of years ago.

Lightning strikes? Check!

Floods in town? Check!

Avalanche in this town but not super close to me? Check! A lady died during that one. Buried in the snow not that far from here. Lots of damage to one house and some to some other ones. The lady's husband or partner (?) lived. People rushed to the scene and started to DIG OUT.

Mud and rock slides when I lived in the Sapphire Mountains (Tiny log cabin time and camping on private land BUTT UP to wilderness for me.) and down a winding mountain road? Check! One boulder was in the middle of the road but I did not move it. LOL

HIgh winds, straight line winds and tornadoes? Check back in farm/lake country.

High winds are rare in this valley but they do come out of HEL!GATE CANYON on and off and they do cause problems as you would see in other parts of this county and across this state.

I have no children. I don't have a dog now or any other pet. Quite frankly if I was all alone and not a remarried widow - if the poop hit the fan, I would pay attention to it all but I would rather DIE in my own home than flee like some gypsy or nomad.

I sure as HECK would NOT go to a shelter with SCREAMING/SWEATING people and babies while I baked in the heat or froze my @@@ off. I would just as soon do that in my OWN HOME IN A BED OR A CHAIR.

My late husband said the same thing when he was dying of cancer. He died in the house that we built with me right there and our 2 OLD dogs by his side.

Cate

Last Edited:
PS: I went to edit my typos and I hit report for myself. So I X'ed it out - closed it and if a moderator sees my screw up - it was MY error.

Thank you.

Cate

The scenario the OP suggests, that is, "You have 30 minutes to load up and get out" makes me think of something like a fire. Paradise, Calif. situation. But as previously stated, it could be anything.

If I had to do it on foot, I'd be at a disadvantage for sure. I have enough foot problems to preclude a long hike. A few hours, maybe. Under those conditions, I wouldn't be too concerned about what I could take with me. The idea that the use of roads would be out implies a serious situation. Potentially very serious. Like running for your life. Since I live on the Sound, it's a long walk to the foothills. Under these conditions, I'd just grab a GI tool bag containing medications, a flashlight, a handgun with ammo, some concentrated wealth, a few bottles of water and get going. Oh, and baby wipes. Two packs. And my wife. Since her hip replacement, she can walk a fair amount. But she's woman-fragile and 64 years old.

Now, if I could use a vehicle, I'd use two. My Ford Crown Victoria and my old Ford station wagon, both of which I could load up pretty good. Might not get as much loaded in 30 minutes as I'd like. I'd drive one, my wife the other. I keep some 5 gallon cans of spare gasoline around, those would be loaded first.

Heck, sometimes it takes me 30 minutes to get loaded to go on a shooting trip.

Age considerations present real obstacles to extreme survival situations.

The scenario the OP suggests, that is, "You have 30 minutes to load up and get out" makes me think of something like a fire. Paradise, Calif. situation. But as previously stated, it could be anything.

I actually spent several years working in Paradise, CA and the people I know that were affected by the Camp Fire were caught flat footed.

While making a plan for SHTF it may be of use to plan by time frame.

Example:

#1. I am alone. What do I have?

#2 I am in my vehicle and can't get home. What do I have?

#3. I am at my home and have 5 minutes to leave. What do I have?

#4. I am at my home at have 30 minutes to leave. What do I bring?

#5. I am at my home and have an hour. What do I bring?

#6. I am at my home and have 24 hours. What do I bring?

If you have a list and a plan for each of these scenarios you may have a fighting chance.

I believe in lists, packed bags, rotating your STUFF in and out of a packed bag and for example - your pantry/freezer, keeping your paperwork up to date, spare Rx eyeglasses, etc.

I always believed in that stuff no matter where I lived.

My parents always taught us about weather related emergency situations, talked about the 30's depression that they lived through, stocked up, taught us basic skills, etc.

My late husband could pack very well when he was in the USN (Ship.) and, later on, in the Air NG Fighter Wing. He had a non .gov job too.

Most people who grew up with parents and mentors who had a CLUE about life and lived through good and bad times - passed it on to the next generation.

I was fortunate to have parents and a mentor who were smart, filled with common sense, were blunt to you when you needed it, polite and loving.

They taught us about using the brains and common sense that the good Lord gave you.

They taught us about personal responsibility over and over again.

They taught us NOT to rely on some person including UNCLE SUGAR who may NOT be there FOR YOU when you need them too. That sounds cruel but you need to be able to care for yourself when and IF there is NO one to help you when the poop hits the fan in ANY TYPE OF EMERGENCY SITUATION!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads