JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After looking for a suitable waterproof pouch to carry a compact IFAK in cargo shorts, and falling short with Loksak when the zip closure failed in less than a week, I decided to make my own. I put my Food Saver to work and vacuum sealed the items linked below. This kit cost about $55 with the Combat Gauze hemostatic purchased on eBay, but you could lower the price to about $35 using standard compressed gauze.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/black-triton-tactical-nitrile-gloves/ (Note: My kit contains only one pair of gloves. The others went in other kits)
In addition to the sealed items, I also carry a RATs tourniquet as shown in the photos (not included in the cost above)

Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.jpg

Last Edited:
After looking for a suitable waterproof pouch to carry a compact IFAK in cargo shorts, and falling short with Loksak when the zip closure failed in less than a week, I decided to make my own. I put my Food Saver to work and vacuum sealed the items linked below. This kit cost about $55 with the Combat Gauze hemostatic purchased on eBay, but you could lower the price to about $35 using standard compressed gauze.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/black-triton-tactical-nitrile-gloves/ (Note: My kit contains only one pair of gloves. The others went in other kits)
In addition to the sealed items, I also carry a RATs tourniquet as shown in the photos (not included in the cost above)

View attachment 1439444 View attachment 1439456
Nice, how's the access getting it out of the food saver bag? I've had smoked salmon from bags like though before and it took some effort to get them open, not what I'd want to deal with in an emergency. I carry a TQ in a cargo pocket and some yards of celox gauze in their packaging, but also in a zip lock to keep it from getting too beat up in my pocket.

Just like with anything else, there are people who will perceive whatever you may be doing as "overkill, or radical," but there are tragic instances of preventable death that could have been prevented if people at the scene had some medical gear and training, just depends on what / how you want to spend your time.

Anyone who carries a gun though who laments about medical gear is a bit silly, they have a plan to possibly exchange gunfire with others, but not to have some medical gear… ok.

View attachment 1439444 View attachment 1439456
Great kit! Love the waterproof aspect. Is that a notch for easy tearing? @American123 is right - if you ever have to deploy it you'll want to be sure it's easy to rip open when you need it. What are the overall dimensions?

Dude, do you live in a war torn nation?
We have tens of thousands of traffic accidents per year, tens of thousands more traumatic injuries from accidents with equipment, tools, machinery, and household implements, not to mention injuries from slips, trips, and falls. That's before we even start talking about guns.

The OP probably carries a gun, as do most people on this forum. If you may potentially have to put holes in someone, you should also be ready to potentially patch up holes in yourself or others. Carrying medical (and knowing how to use it) is just as important as carrying a gun - in fact, probably more so because you're far more likely to render medical aid than draw your weapon.

Dude, do you live in a war torn nation?
  • See Bradsteen's quote at the bottom below
  • I work in a public building where an active shooter scenario is more likely
  • I've heard it said by professional firearms instructors that anyone trained (and equipped) to inflict trauma should be trained (and equipped) to treat trauma. I agree!
  • My previous neighbor was accidentally shot in the leg by his brother while hunting
  • My Dad cut two fingers off on his table saw
  • I own and use tools such as an axe, circular saw, chainsaw, and utility knife
  • Etc., etc…
Nice, how's the access getting it out of the food saver bag?
Good! Take a close look at the photos and you'll notice a notch I cut in the plastic and marked with a red Sharpie. I successfully practiced opening it using the notch with two hands, and with one hand and my teeth, before deploying it.
Anyone who carries a gun though who laments about medical gear is a bit silly, they have a plan to possibly exchange gunfire with others, but not to have some medical gear… ok.
Yeah, I can't understand why so many people who carry operate under the assumption that they'll win any and every gunfight they may get into…
What are the overall dimensions?
With the extra tear flap folded, dimensions are 5"x5.5"x7/8"
We have tens of thousands of traffic accidents per year, tens of thousands more traumatic injuries from accidents with equipment, tools, machinery, and household implements, not to mention injuries from slips, trips, and falls. That's before we even start talking about guns.

The OP probably carries a gun, as do most people on this forum. If you may potentially have to put holes in someone, you should also be ready to potentially patch up holes in yourself or others. Carrying medical (and knowing how to use it) is just as important as carrying a gun - in fact, probably more so because you're far more likely to render medical aid than draw your weapon.
Bingo!!!

Last Edited:
  • See Bradsteen's quote at the bottom below
  • I work in a public building where an active shooter scenario is more likely
  • I've heard it said by professional firearms instructors that anyone trained (and equipped) to inflict trauma should be trained (and equipped) to treat trauma. I agree!
  • My previous neighbor was accidentally shot in the leg by his brother while hunting
  • My Dad cut two fingers off on his table saw
  • I own and use tools such as an axe, circular saw, chainsaw, and utility knife
  • Etc., etc…

Good! Take a close look at the photos and you'll notice a notch I cut in the plastic and marked with a red Sharpie. I successfully practiced opening it using the notch with two hands, and with one hand and my teeth, before deploying it.

Yeah, I can't understand why so many people who carry operate under the assumption that they'll win any and every gunfight they may get into…

With the extra tear flap folded, dimensions are 5"x5.5"x7/8"

Bingo!!!
Yep, saw the read notch at first glance, still wondered about the open ability since when I've encountered bags like that they were tough material, very sturdy stuff. If you already successfully practiced with it, that's great. Neat idea, I might finally use the food saver I have.

We bought the Food Saver when we became empty nesters so we can still buy the cheap(er) family packs of meat on sale, and freeze it without freezer burn since we don't go through it like we did with the kids at home. Now that I have it, I use it for all sorts of things like the IFAK, waterproof storage, vac sealing Kirkland trail mix for get-home bags, etc.

I always support people who carry medical. Everyone should.

Like @American123 I always carry a CAT TQ and quikclot. If you carry a gun you should carry and know how to administer medical.

I can think of fewer things worse than watching a loved one bleed out because I didn't know what to do or have the tools to do it. It doesn't have to be a bullet, as mentioned above an auto accident it a very likely scenario, or an animal attack or chainsaw kickback in the middle of no where, the list is endless.

This is how I look at...What do people call 911 for? Police, Medical and Fire. If you have not consider and are not prepared to deal without them for an extended period you are a damned fool, have fun if/when reality kicks you in the teeth.

I rarely ever wear shorts so this doesn't really apply but I do ankle carry a tq, shears, gloves, and Israeli bandage. I fly often and this is comfortable enough for me to wear on long flights and the shears are TSA approved. I pocket carry my spare mag and with that I keep a second TQ. The TQs I use are made by Snakestaff Systems and they are smaller and less obtrusive than the SOF-T that I'd generally use that carrying two isn't an issue for me. I used to carry a Rescue Essentials "pocket" trauma kit but it is so bulky and makes a lot of noise. Photo for size comparison

20230618_090616.jpg 43ab3195d3.png

I rarely ever wear shorts so this doesn't really apply but I do ankle carry a tq, shears, gloves, and Israeli bandage. I fly often and this is comfortable enough for me to wear on long flights and the shears are TSA approved. I pocket carry my spare mag and with that I keep a second TQ. The TQs I use are made by Snakestaff Systems and they are smaller and less obtrusive than the SOF-T that I'd generally use that carrying two isn't an issue for me. I used to carry a Rescue Essentials "pocket" trauma kit but it is so bulky and makes a lot of noise. Photo for size comparison

View attachment 1439646View attachment 1439647
Just looked up the Snake Systems TQ you're talking about. Folded size is roughly that of a G19 magazine, and fits in most pistol mag pouches. Super compact! Thanks for sharing, will be picking up a few.

I just carry a CAT TQ in my back right pocket along with a spare G17 mag. Quikclot is carried in my front left pocket.

You're more likely to use medical than a gun.
Yeah. But the gun is so much more fun. :D

I cut a 3/8" dado groove in my shinbone with a chainsaw 40 years ago. I was really fortunate there was minimal bleeding. Now in my early 60's and on blood thinners, I probably should get some of that quick clotting agent that's available. Probably should have some in my pickup when I'm cutting firewood and my backpack when archery hunting. Chainsaws, broadheads and razor-sharp knives all pose a hazard.

Yeah. But the gun is so much more fun. :D

I cut a 3/8" dado groove in my shinbone with a chainsaw 40 years ago. I was really fortunate there was minimal bleeding. Now in my early 60's and on blood thinners, I probably should get some of that quick clotting agent that's available. Probably should have some in my pickup when I'm cutting firewood and my backpack when archery hunting. Chainsaws, broadheads and razor-sharp knives all pose a hazard.
I'd find much more satisfaction in saving a life rather than taking one.

Sometimes you have to do both.

I'd find much more satisfaction in saving a life rather than taking one.

Sometimes you have to do both.
I've used the gun I've carried MANY times, but never had occasion to use any of the emergency first aid kits in my vehicles or backpack. Well, maybe a Band-Aid for my wife's finger once. The only lives I've taken with a gun were wildlife (and I'm not talking about downtown Portland). I've never had to draw a gun on anyone either. I carry in the woods a lot and often take the opportunity to get a little practice in. Usually, it's a random piece of wood, mocha cup, rock, etc.

I've been fortunate in that the only "emergency" type medical situation I've been present at was when I ran that chainsaw into my own leg. Even that wasn't that traumatic. The only people I've seen dying were family members in a hospice situation. I hope my luck holds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top