JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
GBAqBO.jpg

Is it a gun I already own?
Who's carrying my ammo...?

wff is a "Not a semi-auto"? :rolleyes:

Vanilla Answer - Tikka T3 in .308. Butter smooth bolt is faster than my hand.
Boring - I know. But I've never shot 500 yards more accurately in my entire life - and, well - that, "No semi" rule....
I specified "no semis" to keep from getting mostly "AK" or "AR" responses. Most of us own one or the other or both, and either would probably be our "Out The Door" rifles.

Can't speak for Joe13.

I can say that for where I live and hunt...
100 yards is a far shot.*
With practice even with just a bead front sight 100 yards is very doable with slugs from a shotgun.
( Or even patched round ball and flintlock fowler :D )
I would imagine that a shotgun equipped with peep sights , you could move that distance out a mite further.
( And practice )

So with that in mind..."reaching out and touching someone" can mean different things at different places.
Andy
*Excepting the clear cut areas...but critters tend to avoid those places.....
Sir Andy,

I have loved reading of your position and exploits on this 'board, and I absolutely respect your abilities.

My first shooting competition came to me somewhat as a surprise when at the age of 9 my great uncle entered me into a muzzle loading shoot at the Colorado State Fair. Before that I had never fired anything but .22lr.

I knew nothing of it until that morning when (great) Uncle Norvill (yes, his real name) got me up early, fed me oatmeal with molasses (usual breakfast was bran mix with cream), and then took the rifle down off the fireplace pegs.

I had honestly not given that rifle much thought then. It was on the fireplace when I came, and had not been obviously touched since I had been there.

I have no idea of the rifle's pedigree. I know it was a .50 cal 'cap gun', and was 'old' (to a nine year old).

Uncle Norvill proceeded to give me instructions on how to load, clear, and hold the gun. Then we loaded up in the pickup (with aunt Edith) and went to the fair.

On the drive, uncle continued talking about shooting... I remember wondering why... He was insistent that when I fired I shouldn't think of it any more than the .22 rifle I used on the farm. Even if it felt different, I should treat it the same.

For the record, my score was 16 out of 121 shooters.

I truly wish I knew where that rifle was today, but it went away when the farm was broken into a suburban neighborhood of Denver in the 80s.

Almost 50 years later, I have a .50 cal 'cap gun', I have a .45 flint machine... I enjoy them recreationally, but as the "One Rifle", I can't do it.

But my point is to create the bonafides to ask the question:

No matter how good you are in one-shot-per-minute, with the options you have, is that what you'd really pick to oppose the forces of tyranny today?

That's where I think the need for the 300+ yard sniper will be most valuable, and with the utmost respect, I hope your experience will excel.

Best,

Single rifle hmmmm hard choice. I can say it would be one of these.
1968 Winchester model 1894 .30WCF 26" barrel Buffalo Bill with Williams peep and combo hooded front sight.
Or
Rugar M77R 22" bbl. In .30-06 with 3X - 9X TASCO world class. my main hunting rifle for 30 years
Or
Remington 7600 pump in .243Win DBM 22" bbl. 3X - 9X scope w/QR mounts and stock Iron sights. This rifle is not currently on my rake.

Ooooh, I like this idea.

Some thoughtful people here as well.

So many scenarios for one rifle. My top contenders would be:
- lever action .44
- lightweight .223 bolt gun. 16" threaded barrel. common action, with 2-7 optic.
- same as above. .22LR

Given that and assuming we can stick a suppressor on it, I'd go for the .223 just ahead of the .22. And way ahead of the lever gun.

My use cases assume whacking deer or varmints, but not bear or moose.

fun thread.

My friend has a red pad Ruger No 1 in .300 H&H Magnum. It's a mighty fine rifle and I have always liked that cartridge. I would go with that.
My first "real" rifle was number 1 in .300 win mag. Now this was what we would consider a looooong time ago, and a time when these things could be had used for a few hundo. I loved how the rifle looked. I loved the light weight and I loved how space efficient it was for the barrel length. Oh yeah. decent, but not outstanding accuracy. Probably me, but let's just pretend it was the rifle.

Now comes THE THING. I'm not a big tough guy by any means, but I could go out and rip off several hundred 12 gauge rounds of trap and skeet on a Sunday morning without any shoulder fuss. But that .300 win mag was absolutely just no fun to shoot. And since I wasn't going after any plus sized animals where it was really needed, the rifle, in all its beauty, was unceremoniously traded for something with far less grandeur and style.

Still like to see them in the wild...

Swedish Mauser M38, Burris 2-7x scout, stripper clipped 6.5x55, cock on close for speed, 2lb Traister trigger. Way more accurate than the GSR. Built military tough.

20EF1FD2-1637-417A-AAF7-F45461167D84.jpeg

I would depend upon the terrain. In wet climate, probably a 30/30 lever action rifle. If dry climate, something in the realm of a .243. Something light with polymer stock and with light recoil.

No matter how good you are in one-shot-per-minute, with the options you have, is that what you'd really pick to oppose the forces of tyranny today?
My choices that I posted in this thread reflect the question in the OP.
There was no mention of opposing the forces of tyranny in the OP.
Hunting was stated as was self protection in the OP.

Granted what self protection means , will be different depending on the person and situation.

In any event....
If I am armed with either of my two choices that I posted here and need to engage and destroy the enemy as we used to say in the Army...

I ain't just gonna roll over and wait to die...Just 'cause all I have is either my .54 Hawken Rifle or Winchester 62A.
Its more a matter of using what I have....
And adapting myself along with my knowledge and skill to the situation at hand.

And with all that said...
Thank you for your kind words and story in your post....:)
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads