JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mosin-Nagant M44, it has a side-folding toad sticker.
Not a terrible choice, altho I personally wish that barrel was say, 24" just cuz of the muzzle blast. Fired them a bit back when and the fireball could be seen in Hanoi... That twister safety rivals that of the Arisaka for fumbling, my main beef with both of those otherwise excellent rifles.... That bayo can serve double duty as an orc-sticker and a chicken cookin spit! Very survival-minded practical folks, those Rus'....
Wish I had bought several more of the 91/30 model when they were a dime a dozen! Then I could afford to sacrifice one by cutting it to 24" and sporterising it a bit.. I like the rifles but find them a bit too long for my liking.

Last Edited:
Pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 30/06 with Weaver K6 3X9 scope it was my Grandfather's
Like this one? :)

Winchester70.01.JPG

Ok, I'll play along (I would have an AR but....)

Lever action 30-30 Winchester 94. It's fast to aim and has plenty of knock down power. Also not the heaviest to carry all day.
Like this one? :)

Winchester94.01.JPG

I like the premise...

To choose one from my own accumulation, it would be the Winchester XPR in .308. But I'm old, and wouldn't have it if I didn't have lots of other rifles first.

If the rule came up today and I had to pick that one; I would go with my thoroughly bubba'd M91/30: barrel shortened to 18", Synthetic stock, Modern raised front blade, 2mm ring rear sight, bent bolt, probably more I'm forgetting, but the best $75 I've ever spent. Dead nuts reliable, cheap to feed, and the 'yotes don't have a chance at anything less than 250 yards.

Your mileage may vary

Can't speak for Joe13.

I can say that for where I live and hunt...
100 yards is a far shot.*
With practice even with just a bead front sight 100 yards is very doable with slugs from a shotgun.
( Or even patched round ball and flintlock fowler :D )
I would imagine that a shotgun equipped with peep sights , you could move that distance out a mite further.
( And practice )

So with that in mind..."reaching out and touching someone" can mean different things at different places.
Andy
*Excepting the clear cut areas...but critters tend to avoid those places.....

I love shotguns, but if you're going there, would you really choose that as your only long weapon? No personal judgment if your answer is 'yes', but I want the opportunity to 'reach out and touch someone'.
I would prefer a semi-auto rifle with proper magazine capacity, but would not feel "undergunned" with a 12ga and an assortment of buck and slug as my only weapon.

I think for ONE gun, if it was the only gun I could own and couldn't be semi, the next best thing would be a lever gun. Something heavy, 44 mag or higher.

My reasons being-

A- I can operate it faster than a bolt gun
B- reloading with those cartridges comes easy
C- 44mag or higher is good for most game you'd find in our area
D- capacity is decent (5 to 8 rounds depending on caliber)
E- Great for home defense
F- in a 16 inch configuration it's small, light and easy to wield.

I think if you can't have a semi auto the next best thing is a lever gun

Is it a gun I already own?
Who's carrying my ammo...?

wff is a "Not a semi-auto"? :rolleyes:

Vanilla Answer - Tikka T3 in .308. Butter smooth bolt is faster than my hand.
Boring - I know. But I've never shot 500 yards more accurately in my entire life - and, well - that, "No semi" rule....

Is it a gun I already own?
Who's carrying my ammo...?

wff is a "Not a semi-auto"? :rolleyes:

Vanilla Answer - Tikka T3 in .308. Butter smooth bolt is faster than my hand.
Boring - I know. But I've never shot 500 yards more accurately in my entire life - and, well - that, "No semi" rule....
I kinda skirted the " do I already own " question. Both of the choices I made are spendy, back ordered, built on an individual basis guns. I rationalized that if I wasn't choosing from the $10,000 pile of rifles I already own, I might be able to afford a top of the line dinosaur snuffer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top