JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Serious question to the OP

Didn't you just have a thread about weapon mounted lights and not wanting weight on the front end of your rifle? So you wanted something light weight….

That contraption is going to extend your barrel and will add more weight than a quality light… moving your desired balance point.

When things go bump in the night ear protection is likely the last thing on your mind when you grab that gun ti investigate. The best way to be able to hear the police later is the use of a silencer, however the temporary or permanent loss of an expensive NFA item is lousy. That's also assuming you can afford the expense.

The Witt Machine SME is a non NFA noise mitigation device that while not as effective as a suppressor is much better than nothing where your ears are concerned. It's also a decent option for a truck gun.
For home defense I keep appropriate guns, light, recording night vision monocular, hearing protection, etc all in the same place overlooking the property. I don't plan on waiting until hearing a bump in the night for hd as usually ring cameras pick up any trespassers before they make it to the door. You never know though. Over the ear hearing protection just takes a second to put on (if you have that second, I mean).

Seems like if you are shooting indoors the full decibels are in that entire room no matter if there is a blast can on the weapon or not. Outdoors or at the range it may help though I have never tried one. All just my thoughts/speculation as I have never shot with one.

@3MTA3 May wanna reach out to this member. He
Has one for sell and may have some first hand experience.

SME is basically a blast deflector, like Indian Creek BFD. A kissing cousin to a linear comp--great to the sides and rear outdoors, VERY BAD IDEA if there's a wall in front of you to reflect the redirected noise right back at you.

Think of it as doing for noise what a laser does for light.

Didnt something similar to this happen with the original compensator on the XM177? It directed gasses forward through the long comp and reduced only a couple decibels I think, but the ATF still deemed it a silencer. And now if you want to build a repro you have to find a modified version or something right? Its been a while since I looked into it. None of the semantics and splitting hairs matters when the ATF decides to swing their weight around.

Didnt something similar to this happen with the original compensator on the XM177? It directed gasses forward through the long comp and reduced only a couple decibels I think, but the ATF still deemed it a silencer. And now if you want to build a repro you have to find a modified version or something right? Its been a while since I looked into it. None of the semantics and splitting hairs matters when the ATF decides to swing their weight around.

Good memory!
Yes, that is the specific example I had in mind regarding what the ATF have deemed "silencers" in the past

Serious question to the OP

Didn't you just have a thread about weapon mounted lights and not wanting weight on the front end of your rifle? So you wanted something light weight….

That contraption is going to extend your barrel and will add more weight than a quality light… moving your desired balance point.
Just because it's not my thing does not mean it isn't someone else's. Ran across the video and thought others might find it interesting.

BTW, my 300 BO with suppressor still balances within the mag well and is the same length as it's 14.5" brother. Balance and handling still better without it.

Speaking from personal experience , yes , firearms are loud when fired indoors in places like :
Rooms...
Hallways...
Garages...
Or in vehicles.
So it might be wise to consider some sort of "noise mitigation device" for your firearm.

With that said....

Just how many rounds are you planning on firing here...?
I know...I know...all of them that are needed...
And you cannot count on the presence of a firearm to be a deterrent or a one shot stop.

Like anything it is also wise to...
Plan for the what if...along with what is most probable versus what is possible , but unlikely.

For myself ...I'd rather use the money that could be spent on some "noise mitigation device" , on more ammo and time spent practicing with my firearm of choice.*
Andy

* And no this is not a muzzle loader...:D
However at one time the largest caliber handgun that I owned was a Uberti copy of a Colt 1860 Army.
It served for awhile as my : "Why are you here in my house ? " gun.
Granted I shot it often and was good with it.
I also knew that it was best to change the loading from time to time if it sat for a bit.

For the curious among you the old stand by " Why are you here in my house ? " is my Series '70 Colt Government Model in .45ACP.
Also at the moment a Ithaca 37 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel is its buddy.... :D

Temporary loss of a suppressor (expensive NFA item)……

How much do you have into your rifle build? Cause guess what, that's more than likely getting taken from you as evidence as well…..

Yeah, if we were still a Free State I'd say watch Arms Unlimited's newsletter for $600 police trade-in Colt 6920's. The 6920 is the gold standard of AR's and at $600 it's almost as disposable as a Delton POS if Sergeant Stickyfingers in Evidence decides he thinks he's more entitled to your property than you are.

The test I've seen on compensators with legitimate decibel meters show about a 3 dB reduction from where the operator stands but a Similar db increase at the muzzle so I'm assuming inside a house there is going to be very little difference.
They do drastically reduce the side blast compared to a brake if your shooting at a range

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top