JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Likely a nice bolt action. There was a gent here that built a pretty sweet little hunting rig @monkeybutler that I've honestly admired for a long time and would consider doing something similar in time.

1669480132292.jpeg

A gun that I own, the Thompson Center Dimension platform (this is a standard bolt rifle with 3 round removable magazine, not their single shot platforms). This rifle can shoot the following calibers (11 of them) by simply changing barrel/bolt/magazine components using a torque tool (ensures barrel nut and stock are torqued properly) in less than 5 minutes. Shoots the following calibers (and yes, I have all of them):

A bolt - 204 Ruger & 223
B bolt - 22-250, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 Win & 7mm-08
C bolt - 270 & 30-06
D bolt - 7mm & 300 WM

Last Edited:
Only one rifle..?
My .54 Hawken Rifle.
I know it inside and out...plus I shoot it very well.
Andy
Well now, that goes without saying! Might have been disappointed with any other answer 😆. I've got a couple Hawkens myself, one of them a T-C flinter... if it came to a TEOTWAWKI-scale Event (not the intended subject of this thread) that flint .54 goes with me...

Well now, that goes without saying! Might have been disappointed with any other answer 😆. I've got a couple Hawkens myself, one of them a T-C flinter... if it came to a TEOTWAWKI-scale Event, that flint .54 goes with me...
Yes it does...:D
However...
If forced to make a choice with a modern rifle....
I'd go with my Winchester 62A from 1946.

Again I know it inside and out...and like my Hawken I shoot it very well.
Andy

Savage 99f in .308, light to carry, holds 6 rounds, loads quickly. It is the first centerfire I ever shot, nearly 60 years ago now. The very same rifle!

One gun..?? Ugh...if that's what it's got to be, consider this another vote for a .44 Mag in a decent lever action.

Wouldn't have given the configuration much thought, until years ago a guy gave me an almost brand new Winchester '92 to settle a debt we had. I figured something was better than nothing, so I took the rifle. Put it in the safe, didn't think much about it. Until I took it out and shot it. As I'm fond of saying, .44 Mag is no joke out of a carbine. No, it's not a moose killer at 300 yards, but for something to take most North American game at a hundred yards, plus or minus, it's quite acceptable. For defense, it's reasonably compact, and has plenty of muzzle energy. Not the best answer in all situations, but IMHO it's a very good choice if it's the only rifle you have in the safe.

hahahaah, yeah it has a good scope on it, and i can see the commies coming out to 500 yards, but could i hit them, my longest shot was just under 350 yards on a nice bull elk.
I don't know about you but when I have a bull run by me I can shoot that No1 faster than any bolt action if I have a buttstock shell holder. One time my hunting partner said on the radio it sounded like someone else had a semi auto cause he knew I went out with one of the no1's that day.

So many excellent choices guys!

My Win M70 in 7mm mauser is my pick. Or the 8 I had built (yep, I am that guy to have a custom rifle built in an 8x57 mauser). Last but not least is the CZ550 FS in 9.3x62. Gotta be different, I guess:oops:

Hard choice as there is no Semi Auto, but,......
The ONE to rule them all will always be my Suppressed Dumoline Mauser 98 Sporter in .30/06! It's stupid proof, feeds from stripper clips, rocks a killer set of target grade irons, and can make lethal hits FAR beyond my abilities, which are considerable! It's not the lightest, but it's also not the heaviest. ( I would have chosen the Tikka SuperVarmint above all others, except for the fact there are NO iron sights on it, and I don't really want to add them to that rifle)
Second Choice would be the 1903A3 Sporter, almost as good as the Mauser, but lighter and easier to carry. Remember, Controlled Round Feeding is VERY IMPORTANT here!
Third choice would be the Schmidt & Rubin Sporter strait pull bolt in .308 Winchester, that handy rifle is as slick as they get, lightning fast, and VERY accurate.
Forth choice would be the Winny 95 Lever, also a .30/06, but in a take down, it's pretty light, pretty quick, very accurate, and it dosn't draw much attention, even among other shooters!

ALL run a serious chambering, that can be loaded for anti material or powder puff for small game, and accuracy isn't an issue at all!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top