JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eh. Not too impressive. I have shot that distance before. But in feet not yards. And after 10 practice shots. And after practicing the day before. Oh wait. Pretty dang impressive!!!

So basically he shot straight up an 100 yards left?

Dear lord I hate driving that far.

Never start a fight with a man that can end it from a different area code.

Anyone have a link to a simple trajectory diagram/drawing that would illustrate the arc the projectile took over that distance?
A guy at work was talking about that shot and I laughed and said the round must have entered through the top of his head!

He didn't think the drop would be so extreme but I told him that as soon as the round leaves the barrel it drops at the same speed as it would dropping straight down without forward velocity.

Anyone have a link to a simple trajectory diagram/drawing that would illustrate the arc the projectile took over that distance?
A guy at work was talking about that shot and I laughed and said the round must have entered through the top of his head!

He didn't think the drop would be so extreme but I told him that as soon as the round leaves the barrel it drops at the same speed as it would dropping straight down without forward velocity.

Didn't find a diagram, but found the info below posted online showing how much drop a bullet of various calibers has over 2,000 yards. I don't know if this is actually authoritative, so YMMV:

.308 Win
165gr bullet
2600 fps muzzle velocity
.481 drag coefficient
Approximate drop @ 2000 yards = 2850 inches, or 237.5 feet.

.300 Win Mag
165gr bullet
3000 fps muzzle velocity
.456 drag coefficient
Approximate drop @ 2000 yards = 2850 inches, or 237.5 feet (again).

.338 Lapua
200gr bullet
3000 fps muzzle velocity
.437 drag coefficient
Approximate drop @ 2000 yards = 2200 inches, or 183.3 feet.

.50BMG Updated
750gr bullet
2800 fps muzzle velocity
1.07 drag coefficient
Approximate drop @ 2000 yards = 1399.6 inches, or 116.3 feet.

Maybe this ?
Canadian Sniper Set World Record for Longest Shot - Over 2 miles! - Ryan Cleckner

So approx 728 feet hold over ?
Maybe my math is bonkers ?

Last Edited:
Ten second flight time, impressive shot, but Coriolis force is near zero at the equator. It's the most at the poles.

The world record sniper shot means that three of the top five longest confirmed kills were carried out by Canadian snipers. The top five are:
Canadian sniper in Iraq (2017): 3,450 meters.
British sniper Craig Harrison in Afghanistan (2009): 2,475 meters
Canadian sniper Rob Furlong in Afghanistan (2002): 2,430 meters
Canadian sniper Arron Perry in Afghanistan (2002): 2,310 meters
U.S. sniper Brian Kemer in Iraq (2004): 2,300 meters
Some guy over here said this was all BS,propaganda :cool:
I just looked at his and kinda said OKo_O

Did anyone notice the muzzle bounce on that thing! I think he needs to put some real padding between the table and his rifle. That would put him in a higher more comfortable position too!

Still, pretty darned good shooting! I do believe he's handicapping himself though!
OK Sarge,and I get that you are Sarge,needing to correct you minions(insert smile here),but would you really tell a guy,who can obviously still see that far and shoot quite well,what he's doing wrong?
My guess is he'd move away from the table with a smile and tell you to 'have at 'er' ! (Smile again,they take them away when I post too close together)

OK Sarge,and I get that you are Sarge,needing to correct you minions(insert smile here),but would you really tell a guy,who can obviously still see that far and shoot quite well,what he's doing wrong?
My guess is he'd move away from the table with a smile and tell you to 'have at 'er' ! (Smile again,they take them away when I post too close together)

Hell yes! Look at the film.

Are the other tables full? If so, I'd say yes and take the table. :rolleyes:

It's weird to think about it that way.. considering if you drop a pebble into a well, and it takes 10 seconds before splash... that's a damn deep well! even from a roof top that's a lot of elevation.

He also earned an Medal of Honor.

Maybe this ?
Canadian Sniper Set World Record for Longest Shot - Over 2 miles! - Ryan Cleckner

So approx 728 feet hold over ?
Maybe my math is bonkers ?
Would love to find an illustration similar to these although they aren't to scale either 1.JPG 2.JPG .

Something to show the arc or degree if you assume it was level ground. Hard to do to scale I guess because of the distance.
Ha! Even with level ground at two miles the curvature of the earth would have to be shown in such a diagram.

A Canadian special forces sniper just took the world record for the longest range confirmed kill at 3,450 meters using a MacMillan TAC-50.
Sorry, America, you come in at #5. Keep sending 'em.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651
If this is the guy I saw a story about he was using U.S AMMO he said his Canadian ammo would not have made it for some reason I don't remember why

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top