JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The principal actors in that series went thru a 10 day "basic training camp" under retired Marine Captain Dale Dye's watchful eye.
I wouldn't want to have had bad trigger discipline with him around . :eek: ( or anywhere else for that matter...)
Andy

Wow! I wish I had a fraction of the skill these guys have.... just imagine if Carlos Hathcock had the equipment and training these guys have today. He wrote the book these guys train from. His biography is one of the few books I've read more than once, and is what got me interested in shooting. I didn't think the last three record really surpassed what Hathcock did considering technology, but this one is right up there in the top 3 best sniper kills of all time!

What's more impressive... Billy Dixon, 1874 American Indian wars. 1500yards with a Sharps 50-90 and peep sights.
The shot ended a very bloody siege, keeping angry natives from attacking guys defending an outpost out numbered 30:1. DA7D87DD-83D5-4515-A882-95F6A05D2FB6-424-00000076AAA8727C_tmp.jpg
Vietnam, Carlos Hathcock 2500yards, no spotter, with an M2, standard ball ammo, and an 8 power Unertl scope that he took off his model 70 30-06
8D450CAF-1B6B-4B18-ADAB-C0DD4E859BD2-193-0000000AF4B7C709_tmp.jpg
Or 3,450m with the advantages of 50+ years of extensive R&D and experience resulting in a $$15,000+ kit that provides...3+ times more magnification, infinity better clarity, Premium Hornady AMax ammo, hair trigger, bolt action, ultra accurate barrel.. stuffed into a McMillan chassis, all of it actually designed and optimized for long range shooting. Plus a highly trained spotter doping shots for him with a high tech computer/calculator. 89413B1F-F89F-4F77-A468-11755AE33A67-193-0000000D28DD60D1_tmp.jpg .
all three are amazing shots... I actually can't pick one shot over the others....

Technically they were all made with a 50 cal.... But IMO they are like comparing apples to oranges.. records should stand independently until broken in comparable circumstances with comparable eqiptment... Like fishing/hunting records go by what rod/reel/line used, or wether you hunt with Bow/muzzle loader or modern rifle. Advancements in optics and devices that accurately measure distances and meteorological data, and computers that translate it into dope, give a huge advantage.
That 1000 yards with open sights is pretty impressive as well.

51481FFE-4387-48D2-96C0-1777575A44B5-193-00000007F1B81072_tmp.jpg 69730B73-5A4B-4C99-889C-8CD1930A8A81-193-0000001B09C1BB39_tmp.jpg

I am not discounting the shooting skills and talent of snipers....
But much credit should also be paid to the fieldcraft involved to avoid being spotted and the patience needed to wait for the right moment for the shot.

Sniping is much more than a rifle and good shooter.
Andy

It's one thing sitting on top of a high rise building surrounded by friendly forces and another thing crawling through the jungle for days to set up a shot like Hathcock did.

Wow! I wish I had a fraction of the skill these guys have.... just imagine if Carlos Hathcock had the equipment and training these guys have today. He wrote the book these guys train from. His biography is one of the few books I've read more than once, and is what got me interested in shooting. I didn't think the last three record really surpassed what Hathcock did considering technology, but this one is right up there in the top 3 best sniper kills of all time!

What's more impressive... Billy Dixon, 1874 American Indian wars. 1500yards with a Sharps 50-90 and peep sights.
The shot ended a very bloody siege, keeping angry natives from attacking guys defending an outpost out numbered 30:1. View attachment 371734
Vietnam, Carlos Hathcock 2500yards, no spotter, with an M2, standard ball ammo, and an 8 power Unertl scope that he took off his model 70 30-06
View attachment 371708
Or 3,450m with the advantages of 50+ years of extensive R&D and experience resulting in a $$15,000+ kit that provides...3+ times more magnification, infinity better clarity, Premium Hornady AMax ammo, hair trigger, bolt action, ultra accurate barrel.. stuffed into a McMillan chassis, all of it actually designed and optimized for long range shooting. Plus a highly trained spotter doping shots for him with a high tech computer/calculator.View attachment 371709.
all three are amazing shots... I actually can't pick one shot over the others....

Technically they were all made with a 50 cal.... But IMO they are like comparing apples to oranges.. records should stand independently until broken in comparable circumstances with comparable eqiptment... Like fishing/hunting records go by what rod/reel/line used, or wether you hunt with Bow/muzzle loader or modern rifle. Advancements in optics and devices that accurately measure distances and meteorological data, and computers that translate it into dope, give a huge advantage.
That 1000 yards with open sights is pretty impressive as well.

View attachment 371707 View attachment 371710

The bottom pic is a 1851 Wesson & Prescott, which was a popular sniper rifle in the Civil War. I have a reproduction of one without the scope. Blackpowder can be precision...you just have to work harder at it.

I'm sorry to be the only one, but having shoot a lot of long range, 1000-1400. 1400 being my longest. Some of this is purely luck. Wind variables, air temps, humidity and such at variable distances would need to be calculated to be able to help remove some of the variables. Impossible to do without equipment or spotters at varying distances up to the target.

Could not tell by the article, but was only one round fired?

If that is the case I would say he definitely did his calculations and the uncontrollable variables worked in his favor for that shot.

Still very impressive nonetheless.

Using an American made
I'm sorry to be the only one, but having shoot a lot of long range, 1000-1400. 1400 being my longest. Some of this is purely luck. Wind variables, air temps, humidity and such at variable distances would need to be calculated to be able to help calculate some of the variables. Impossible to do without equipment or spotters at varying distances up to the target.

Could not tell by the article, but was only one round fired?

If that is the case I would say he definitely did his calculations and the uncontrollable variables worked in his favor for that shot.

Still very impressive nonetheless.

That's what I say whenever somebody out shoots me: "lucky shot"
Grumble grumble...o_O

That's incredible. The environmental and coriolis variables to even the heaviest bullets could toss that shot off by the size of my backyard. Wow.

Ten second flight time, impressive shot, but Coriolis force is near zero at the equator. It's the most at the poles.

The world record sniper shot means that three of the top five longest confirmed kills were carried out by Canadian snipers. The top five are:
Canadian sniper in Iraq (2017): 3,450 meters.
British sniper Craig Harrison in Afghanistan (2009): 2,475 meters
Canadian sniper Rob Furlong in Afghanistan (2002): 2,430 meters
Canadian sniper Arron Perry in Afghanistan (2002): 2,310 meters
U.S. sniper Brian Kemer in Iraq (2004): 2,300 meters

Just for some perspective of the distances involved, look at this guys 1,000 yd open sight shots.
The Canadian snipers shot was over three times this distance.

Did anyone notice the muzzle bounce on that thing! I think he needs to put some real padding between the table and his rifle. That would put him in a higher more comfortable position too!

Still, pretty darned good shooting! I do believe he's handicapping himself though!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top