JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone actually done this? As far as I understand, non-restricted firearms are ok. I'm friving through to AK. Going to be out int he woods. Planning on bringing

12GA - 18.5 barrel pump
Colt1917 45ACP revolver
Maybe bolt action hunting rifle

I know Semi auto anything is a no-no, that's what is called a restricted firearm, but the stuff above?

In 2014, a friend and I did this, driving from Michigan to Alaska, bringing my dog.
The dog required a whole extra set of papers.
We brought two Remington 700's for bear, as we were camping nightly, and were advised to have rifles for bear.
Odumbo had just started his ITAR b.s.
Luckily we stopped at Customs in the U.S. before crossing.
You MUST fill out forms declaring Personal Property taken out of the country. They will note description and serial numbers. You will need this going in to Alaska, and returning to contiguous U.S. You will declare firearms when crossing into Canada.
Canadian Customs didn't care AT ALL about the dogs papers, or the rifles. They may care about the revolver. They didn't even want to look at the car, dog papers, or guns.
We crossed on Canada Day.....the ONLY thing they wanted to know was WHERE we were going after we left the border...fortunately we remembered a town several hours away.

Joe

You can ship them to yourself at a pre-arranged location, often an FFL.

There are shipping services that do it for you. Here's one: https://alaskagunshipping.com/

(I don't know anything about them, just found with a Google search.)

When passing through, I noticed that there were places in Tok, AK that offered that service.

Bruce

PS: If you try to take firearms with you be sure you get current regulations. Someone's experience last summer may be irrelevant this summer due to CA law changes.

Consider buying one in AK, then shipping it to your home when leaving, or sell it when leaving. There may be rentals available, too.

Last Edited:
Took a motorbike trip there recently...beer spray was the easier way to go. You could always take the ferry, I've heard guys can take guns up that way.

Beer spray...not sure what you'll defend your self against with that..hipsters?

I corrected it, that said you've memorialized my lack of spelling prowess...good on ya.

Spelling.jpg

Don't unless you want them seized an to get water boarded with maple syrup.
You find yourself duct-taped to a rickety wooden chair in a darkened basement with a utility sink. The door slams open and in storms a shadowy figure. He flicks a switch on the wall and a dim, low-wattage bulb flickers to life.

You see it's Dudley Do-right standing before you, but gone is the image of a friendly, amiable Canadian law enforcement officer. Instead his wild, angry eyes bore into yours; he is dressed in worn khakis and a sweat-stained undershirt, and is carrying a glass gallon jug of an amber, viscous substance. He glares at you for a full minute, then spits a massive stream of tobacco juice onto the floor.

"What d'ya think yer doin' bringin' guns into my fair country, eh? Lookin' to start some trouble, are ya now? Well, I'll show ya how we deal with hooligans like you here in Canada!"

You find yourself duct-taped to a rickety wooden chair in a darkened basement with a utility sink. The door slams open and in storms a shadowy figure. He flicks a switch on the wall and a dim, low-wattage bulb flickers to life.

You see it's Dudley Do-right standing before you, but gone is the image of a friendly, amiable Canadian law enforcement officer. Instead his wild, angry eyes bore into yours; he is dressed in worn khakis and a sweat-stained undershirt, and is carrying a glass gallon jug of an amber, viscous substance. He glares at you for a full minute, then spits a massive stream of tobacco juice onto the floor.

"What d'ya think yer doin' bringin' guns into my fair country, eh? Lookin' to start some trouble, are ya now? Well, I'll show ya how we deal with hooligans like you here in Canada!"
...not even a chuckle. *Sigh* I'll see myself out.

Bolt guns - hunting rifle are fine. Hunting (waterfowl or upland) shotgun too.

Unloaded, locked in locking case, with separate locked case for ammo and paperwork filled out you should be good to go.

Handguns are a no. 18.5" barrel — I wouldn't.

I was in Canada in October. Another vote for Bear Spray. That was the way to go. Although a couple hiking in the Banff area where I was, were killed in a bear attack. They were experienced and carried bear spray.

Took a motorbike trip there recently...bear spray was the easier way to go. You could always take the ferry, I've heard guys can take guns up that way.

Never even thought of this. Sounds like a FAR better way to go rather than dealing with the damn border.

You can't even bring a single action revolver for bear defense?
Last time I crossed the border was 2018. At the time, the barrel had to be 4" or longer to get in. I simply declared it at the border and was GTG, they didn't want to see it or anything.

It may have changed, but should be covered in the document I linked above.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top