JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In 2007 or 2008, my grandfather sold nearly his entire gun collection in a garage sale. Approximately 20 guns. They were all sold to a single buyer. This was in a small Oregon Coast town. I'm seeking out that buyer in the hopes that I can convince them to sell me back two of those guns. A lever-action .22 and a .22-250. My grandfather taught me to shoot with those guns, and the sentimental value of them to me is far beyond their actual monetary value. I am willing to pay top dollar to get these back. If you or anyone you know may have purchased them, please message me. Thank you.

The name of the "small Oregon costal town" might help your cause.

In 2007-2008 era private firearm sales were not illegal so the town name shouldn't be a problem.

The name of the "small Oregon costal town" might help your cause.

In 2007-2008 era private firearm sales were not illegal so the town name shouldn't be a problem.
No, it was all above board. No worries about that. But I need some way to be able to verify that it's the same person. Info that only the actual buyer would know, if that makes sense? It's been 17 years. They may not remember much more than where they bought them. But I'm banking on the hope that someone who walked into a garage sale and unexpected walked out with 20ish guns would remember an event like that without needing to know what town it was in.

No, it was all above board. No worries about that. But I need some way to be able to verify that it's the same person. Info that only the actual buyer would know, if that makes sense? It's been 17 years. They may not remember much more than where they bought them. But I'm banking on the hope that someone who walked into a garage sale and unexpected walked out with 20ish guns would remember an event like that without needing to know what town it was in.
If it was Tillamook, I might have a clue.
👍👍

Those were the days!! I'm sorry to hear they got away, but happy to know there's still people out there who value things, strictly for sentimental reasons. Not to be a "Debbie downer", but my guess is those 20 firearms are scattered to the 4 corners of the country by now. Anybody who would purchase the whole lot, probably got a great deal and sold those that weren't of particular interest to the them.
As 1 seller here told me, "it's how we feed our addiction".
Best of luck to you though!

Could I suggest a thread title that would actually grab the attention of someone who may have bought these, ie: "If you bought 20-ish guns at a garage sale 17 years ago..."

There's a very long shot of said person actually being interested enough to open this thread, if they are on this forum.

Those were the days!! I'm sorry to hear they got away, but happy to know there's still people out there who value things, strictly for sentimental reasons. Not to be a "Debbie downer", but my guess is those 20 firearms are scattered to the 4 corners of the country by now. Anybody who would purchase the whole lot, probably got a great deal and sold those that weren't of particular interest to the them.
As 1 seller here told me, "it's how we feed our addiction"
They probably all went to a gun show within a month for resale. It would be a stretch to imagine that some "gun fancier" came along, found 20 random guns, and decided to keep them all. Or any if he got a screaming deal.

Before private sales were banned in west coast states, the trading velocity of a firearm was much greater. Sometimes a gun might trade hands multiple times at a single gun show.

It's hard to track down things from the past. However, I've found cars online that my dad owned 40 or 50 years ago. Sometimes cars for sale are listed with VIN numbers. Sometimes, you can see serial numbers of firearms on Gunbroker, that might be something to be watchful about. But the investment in time, going back and checking every week or whatever would be huge. Also, you'd have to know the exact make and model of firearm, poss. even from a specific range or era of manufacture. You might not know that if you are only going by what you remember as a youngster.

Good luck in your quest. I mean weird things happen. I read a story out of the CMP about this old man who was in WW2, I forget if he was a soldier or marine. But decades later, he heard about the CMP sales program, and decided he wanted to have an M1 Rifle in memory of the one he had been issued in the war. As improbable as it may seem, when he got his rifle from CMP, it turned out to be the same exact rifle by serial number that he'd been issued in WW2. How's that for random impossibility?? Out of over three million such rifles made in WW2. And used who knows by how many other men in other places over the years. He drops his paperwork in the mail, and back comes his exact issue rifle.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top