JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't read much of this thread (I like the tin foil hat guy) but it seems to me the majority of these tragic shootings are done by pre 21 year old adolescents, I don't know if it would really be effective to increase the age of gun ownership in some form but it hasn't hurt to limit handgun ownership to 21 and why not make the group responsible liable for there actions? Maby an additional prohibition on specific types of weapons until 21? We seem to be raising the age to be able to drive and smoke (tobbaco) in many places. It is probably a sign of the poor quality of our parenthood but may not be a bad move. Kids today commonly raise themselves with both parents working to pay taxes and exorbinant cost of modern living in society after mother's went to work.

And yet it was still a 23 year old who did the worse school shooting in the U.S. Don't see how upping the age limit will prevent tragedies, they'd either wait longer or find a way to circumvent the law.

There's no deterrence for them. Normally in order for a law to work there has to be an almost guarantee the person would get caught, but the mindset of these shooters aren't affected by that. There's no deterring crazy, and while schools remain unguarded there's no stopping crazy either.

These "my mommy and daddy gave me a gun when I was 10 years old whatever, and I never wanted to go around and murder people" crack me up. How dumb are u to actually make that statement?? First off, I'm sure mommy and daddy would of never gave you that gun if they didn't TRUST you. In my experience of 43 years, parents are pretty good at evaluating there kids demeanor and natural tendency's. Unless their deadbeats. Now the kid who's pulling fire alarms, talking back, constantly getting in trouble?? What do you think he'll do with a gun at 10 years old?? Heck 16 years old?? NO! 18 years old??? I Don't wanna go there because I've seen it. My point is everyone matures different and grows up a little bit faster or slower than the kid 2 states over. And besides, when do 18 19 20 year olds not have other plans to do something else after they get done what there doing at that moment... Constantly on the move I tell ya. If you've got murdering lots of people with a rifle on your mind, I'm sorry but those tendency's should of been picked up on long ago. And you'll have to wait to go secretly on your tirade.

Speaking only for myself here...
I do not mean to "crack anyone up"...nor do I think that I am dumb...when I tell folks that I got my first gun around age 8 or so...and I didn't go out and murder anyone with it.
It is just a statement of when I received my first gun and that I was responsible with my firearm.

I am also well aware that kids mature differently and at different times...some kids can be trusted with a firearm and some will never be able to be trusted with a firearm.

Calling people dumb does nothing to further the discussion...and can cause the discussion to go off topic or cause ill will.
Andy

Maby an additional prohibition on specific types of weapons until 21? We seem to be raising the age to be able to drive and smoke (tobbaco) in many places. It is probably a sign of the poor quality of our parenthood but may not be a bad move. Kids today commonly raise themselves with both parents working to pay taxes and exorbinant cost of modern living in society after mother's went to work.

I brought this up in one of the other mega threads. Many younger people don't seem to have the respect for others that we used to have. All you have to do is know a teacher or police officer and they can tell you what a difference there is in today's parents/children. I also said I didn't care if the age to buy firearms(rifles) was raised. Too many 18-21 year olds are more like 12=15 year olds. And I don't buy the drivel that "If their old enough to fight for our country" schtick. That's a completely different thing, that shouldn't need explaining.

Last Edited:
Got my first gun at 9 years old and walked through town all the time with it on the way to the rock pits to shoot. My friend and I hunted the ponds all the time. Thinking back, only time I have ever been stopped with a gun was while hunting so they could check my license.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top