JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Beginning July 1, 2019, NICS will no longer extend the courtesy of completing a NICS check via telephone or electronically using E-Check for those purchasers with a CPL. Local law enforcement will be responsible for both the NICS checks and additional background checks for all handgun purchases, whether or not the purchaser possesses a CPL. Any one heard about this ?
"

Here is an email from my NICS contact: "That information is accurate. Starting July 1, 2019 the eligibility determinations for all handgun transaction in WA will be handled by the local WA law enforcement agencies (even handgun transfers to valid CPL holders). The NICS Section will continue to handle eligibility determinations for long gun transfers in WA."

So it is confirmed.

Well, that's a big bummer. Sounds like it will create an automatic waiting period for everyone. It seems odd that this is going to happen and hardly anyone has heard about it.

From the perspective of convenience and quickness, it's a bummer. But at least if there is an issue with the check, like a denial, the local agencies will be a lot easier to deal with than NICS.

20181024-154922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell? So the FBI's policy change disrupts the transfer process of WA, and likely other states, and no one says anything?

I thought Trump was still president. This seems like a big antigun move. E-check for FFLs was a courtesy?

One reason I quit buying firearms from gun shows is I get delayed 100% of the time and do not feel like waiting a month or two for the seller to return so now it appears anyone buying a handgun at a gun show will be in the same boat. Just another nail in the coffin for gun shows. The other reason I quit was I-594.

This was on the Lars Larsen show today at noon. He interviewed a Vancouver firearms dealer. Lars says he's going to try to get the FBI lined up for an interview and or comments as to how this could come to be with little warning and press. I wonder why Washington? What state(s) will be next? Time to go shopping?

I am quite surprised at the schock & awe being espoused over a bit of history all WA citizens voted on...

This situation transpired from WA citizens

1) continuing to allow the early 1900's statute to promote bogus 'initiatives' which immediately become law w/o possibility of revocation by the august citizen's elected legislative body or Governor.

2) passage of said the contentious 2015 citizen's 'initiative' named I594!

Your kind attention is directed to the follow WA statutory cite on 9.41.092,
Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.
[ RCW 9.41.092: Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks. (<i>Effective until January 1, 2019.</i>) ]

with everyone's keen eyes postured to read the data between the parentheses (... ) which state.
(Effective until January 1, 2019.)
(Effective January 1, 2019.)

So hurray goes out to WA citizens for allowing initiatives to be propagated and hurray for their having to live with their stupidity of allowing initiatives!!

Does this effectively make WA like OR in that NICS has to go through the state police? I'm not 100% hip to WA's current system so forgive the dumb question.

The one silver lining in OR's system is that a delay (or other issue) is handled at the state level... guaranteed to be more responsive than the feds.

I'm not advocating for it, just saying that, unlike l-1639, it's not ALL doom and gloom.

Since I am unable to immediately edit my previous post, an addendum...

I am sure the initial concept postured in the 1900s implementing citizen's pushing initiatives was a valued option to assist the Evergreen's development.

However, I am sure the 'initiative process' was never foreseen to be used by well funded special interest groups to propagate their own agenda(s) upon the august Washington populations.

That OR citizens did a 'meeee toooo' mentality and passed similar concepts is not my interest or concern to be honest!

What is my concern, is WA's citizens mentality to jump up and down to fight the symptoms of this, e.g. each push against initiative(s); instead of screaming to changing/ eliminating the cause...the ability for citizens to push their own agenda without oversight of established legislative governance which I can hold accountable, rally against, and vote out off office!

I keep hearing from citizens & legislative reps...."...BUT....BUT...WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT THIS WAY!

Does this effectively make WA like OR in that NICS has to go through the state police? I'm not 100% hip to WA's current system so forgive the dumb question.

The one silver lining in OR's system is that a delay (or other issue) is handled at the state level... guaranteed to be more responsive than the feds.

I'm not advocating for it, just saying that, unlike l-1639, it's not ALL doom and gloom.

To answer your question....YES.

Bottom line, OR set up the OSP bkgnd process when the law(s) were put on the books so the process had the illusion of transparency to the firearm buying citizens.

WA's initiative caught WSP off guard, the law was implemented w/effective dates to allow the WSP to budget for, develop & implement a statewide bkgnd check infrastructure...which I am not sure was adequately accomplished!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top