JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem with following this is the OP could go in to by a hand gun (assuming he meant a hand gun here) and it could take 3 times that long now. Being semi auto or not does not mean anything in WA state when it come to the hand guns. The hold up, if there is one, is VERY hit and miss. What you can and should do is ask the dealer how do they handle it if the State just never gets back to them with the OK. For any hand gun, does not matter what action it is, the dealer "can" let if go if the State does not get back to them. Some will do this but most will not any more. So this is the thing to ask BEFORE money changes hands. Find out what the dealer will do if the State just never gets back to them. Will they let the gun walk? Will they give a refund if you get tired of waiting? Find out first.

The problem with following this is the OP could go in to by a hand gun (assuming he meant a hand gun here) and it could take 3 times that long now. Being semi auto or not does not mean anything in WA state when it come to the hand guns. The hold up, if there is one, is VERY hit and miss. What you can and should do is ask the dealer how do they handle it if the State just never gets back to them with the OK. For any hand gun, does not matter what action it is, the dealer "can" let if go if the State does not get back to them. Some will do this but most will not any more. So this is the thing to ask BEFORE money changes hands. Find out what the dealer will do if the State just never gets back to them. Will they let the gun walk? Will they give a refund if you get tired of waiting? Find out first.
Good advice thank you

Yes, lesson learned. I have used them for years for multiple purchases including one just two months ago and it just was never an issue. They are cheap and always very nice. I thought that taking more than the 10 day period was rare. In the future, I will pay extra for an FFL that tells me beforehand that they will release on the 11th day.

This is business day 18, consecutive day 24 and I am still waiting.

I spoke with Americas Pawn yesterday and they said that if I was denied, it would have come back as such already and that they are still waiting,. They said that Vancouver Police Department recently implemented staffing changes that are affecting background checks.

I have already called and spoken with Safe Fire in Camas and they said that they will release after 10 days have gone by. They are more expensive ($50 vs $35) but the peace of mind that extra $15 buys is worth it.

Yes, lesson learned. I have used them for years for multiple purchases including one just two months ago and it just was never an issue. They are cheap and always very nice. I thought that taking more than the 10 day period was rare. In the future, I will pay extra for an FFL that tells me beforehand that they will release on the 11th day.

This is business day 18, consecutive day 24 and I am still waiting.

I spoke with Americas Pawn yesterday and they said that if I was denied, it would have come back as such already and that they are still waiting,. They said that Vancouver Police Department recently implemented staffing changes that are affecting background checks.

I have already called and spoken with Safe Fire in Camas and they said that they will release after 10 days have gone by. They are more expensive ($50 vs $35) but the peace of mind that extra $15 buys is worth it.
Wife and I used a Mom & Pop shop from the time they opened until they retired. When this great bunch of crap started we bought 2 or 3 handguns from them. They just let us take the gun on the 11th day BUT, they of course knew us well. On those guns I am not sure when the State finally got back to them with the damn OK. Their price on stuff was always a little higher but normally we were fine with paying them a little more. As much as I feel for the shops who are not sure what to do now I would be inclined to pay more to one who was willing to just let the gun go when legally able to do so.
I sure hope more gun owners will pay more attention next few elections and we can get some of this to improve.

I just got the call that they got a proceed with the transfer. Business day 19, consecutive day 27.

They said they have two people who are already over 30 days - not sure if that's business or consecutive.

Thank you all for your comments.

I just got the call that they got a proceed with the transfer. Business day 19, consecutive day 27.

They said they have two people who are already over 30 days - not sure if that's business or consecutive.

Thank you all for your comments.
Hey at least you finally got the OK. Meanwhile the scum criminals of course can buy all the guns they want any time they want. Yet we are "safer" because they took so damn long to let you have one gun 🤬
Hopefully more gun owners will pay attention and check with their dealer of choice before the plunk down money next time. The system really sucks right now. :(

Just got the call, ten days on the money.
Fastest hand gun turn around time I have experienced.
Vancouver.
That's great! Thru CCSO or Vancouver police?
It would help if posters told which agency did their nics check
It depends on whether you live in the County or the City... not where your FFL does business.

I know people are probably well aware but I sell/trade with a good bit of WA members. It is much faster and possibly same day transfer for WA residents if you ask the seller/trader to transfer as a lower. If you are buying online this doesn't apply to you. Will never go to American pawn in Vancouver ever again. Guns & ammo on Fourth plain is my go to for transfer good staff and fast service!! I did 2 lower transfer last week the WA resident walked out same day within 10-15 minutes. American pawn wanted to make him wait 10 days plus let that sink in.

There is a space in the system for the CPL number. Up until about 5 years ago the CPL allowed the dealer to bypass the local BGC. No longer, so gathering that number did not affect anything.

FFL I have used recently in Vancouver. Runs it out of his home charges $25. Nice guy usually
see him with a table at gun shows. @alelord
I sent him a DM asking about his policy with respect to releasing firearms on the 11th day without a 'proceed' from the authorities. Maye I've found a new FFL to use. Thanks for passing that along.

I know people are probably well aware but I sell/trade with a good bit of WA members. It is much faster and possibly same day transfer for WA residents if you ask the seller/trader to transfer as a lower. If you are buying online this doesn't apply to you. Will never go to American pawn in Vancouver ever again. Guns & ammo on Fourth plain is my go to for transfer good staff and fast service!! I did 2 lower transfer last week the WA resident walked out same day within 10-15 minutes. American pawn wanted to make him wait 10 days plus let that sink in.
The FFL has no role in how long it takes to receive back a 'proceed' on a background check and has to send it to the designated police agency for your area of residence. I live in SE Vancouver and it had to go through the Vancouver police department. The issue here is whether an FFL will release the firearm to you after the 10 day period in the absence of a 'proceed' from the authorities. Apparently some will. Most won't.

Will Guns & Ammo in Fourth Plain release on the 11th day (assuming you don't present as someone who appears sketchy)?

The FFL has no role in how long it takes to receive back a 'proceed' on a background check and has to send it to the designated police agency for your area of residence. I live in SE Vancouver and it had to go through the Vancouver police department. The issue here is whether an FFL will release the firearm to you after the 10 day period in the absence of a 'proceed' from the authorities. Apparently some will. Most won't.

Will Guns & Ammo in Fourth Plain release on the 11th day (assuming you don't present as someone who appears sketchy)?
What the poster is talking about is doing the transfer as an "other". Not a hand gun and not an "assault rifle" per WA newer laws on those. Both of these have the extra time while state shuffles the buy from one place to another. Not a lawyer or an FFL holder so not sure how this works here. Have heard other FFL holders refusing to do so for anything that is not an actual lower. Given how our AG made himself king I would not want to get his attention doing this if I had an FFL. So no surprise to me some of them will not do it this way.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews