JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What the poster is talking about is doing the transfer as an "other". Not a hand gun and not an "assault rifle" per WA newer laws on those. Both of these have the extra time while state shuffles the buy from one place to another. Not a lawyer or an FFL holder so not sure how this works here. Have heard other FFL holders refusing to do so for anything that is not an actual lower. Given how our AG made himself king I would not want to get his attention doing this if I had an FFL. So no surprise to me some of them will not do it this way.
Yes. But this thread is about wait time for a handgun. I don't know if he knows that. If he was adding additional information beyond that scope, fair enough.

Yes. But this thread is about wait time for a handgun. I don't know if he knows that. If he was adding additional information beyond that scope, fair enough.
Again I can't speak for the OP but, I have read a few people saying FFL's should "work around" with the new "assault weapon" law that has the same thing. The additional wait, Instead of selling say an AR, take it apart and sell the lower as "other" then sell the rest since that needs no paper work. This way if its an AR pistol they "could" sell it without the wait. The people saying this of course do not have an FFL and its easy for them to suggest others who have everything to lose "should" do this. I know if I had an FFL I would not. The AG here is not one to play with and push the laws. Again not sure this is what the OP was trying to get at but sounded like it. Many gun owners are always angry at FFL's here because they are careful. Its not the FFL holders fault so many gun owners could not be bothered to participate here but boy are they mad when new laws hit and they finally find out about them :s0092:

My last purchase about 2 years ago was 10 days. I was quoted 10 days @ Sportsman Warehouse yesterday.
I got the call from SW yesterday, late Friday afternoon. Ten days as quoted. I was pleasantly surprised. I was first in line when the front door opened @ 0900 this morning. Took another 25 minutes or so for the clerk to get my gun out of the back lockup then for me re-verify everything I filled out and signed previously. Overall not a totally unpleasant experience.

VPD check back on the tenth day from submittal. They are holding them from what I can tell as they asked for a spelling clarification the same day it was submitted.

Are stripped lowers by themselves banned now with the new bans? Is the new law actually signed yet? Seems like an AR stripped lower could be made into a weapon that is not on the ban list (ie has none of the "AWB" features except detachable mag) so maybe would be legal in that sense cuz it is just one part to buil a "non AWB" gun.

Are stripped lowers by themselves banned now with the new bans? Is the new law actually signed yet? Seems like an AR stripped lower could be made into a weapon that is not on the ban list (ie has none of the "AWB" features except detachable mag) so maybe would be legal in that sense cuz it is just one part to buil a "non AWB" gun.
Lawyers will have to start to iron this all out after king jay signs the law.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind this question on this thread, but I've been reading the comments here with some interest.

I'm in Oregon, and a guy in Washington wants to buy a couple of my AR rifles.

From reading the posts here, it sounds like a background check in Washington State takes 10 days, but he's telling me it's an in-and-out instant deal. He's mentioned just bringing the receivers in to the pawn shop, and they'll do an instant transfer, as opposed to if they're complete firearms.

This sounds sketchy as all get out, but is this the way things are done in Washington State? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of doing a transfer that way in Oregon.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind this question on this thread, but I've been reading the comments here with some interest.

I'm in Oregon, and a guy in Washington wants to buy a couple of my AR rifles.

From reading the posts here, it sounds like a background check in Washington State takes 10 days, but he's telling me it's an in-and-out instant deal. He's mentioned just bringing the receivers in to the pawn shop, and they'll do an instant transfer, as opposed to if they're complete firearms.

This sounds sketchy as all get out, but is this the way things are done in Washington State? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of doing a transfer that way in Oregon.
"Some" FFL's will let you transfer an AR lower as "Other". If you take the gun apart and walk in with the lower "some" FFL's will let you transfer this to the WA resident with just the NICs check. Assuming this goes through the WA buyer can walk. The two of you can make a deal for the rest of the parts since for now these are still something you could just mail.
Now if you both want to try this I would ask the FFL first before you both waste time and gas. I would also not walk in and tell the FFL what you are doing. While its legal, if you tell the FFL you are trying to get around the WA state laws the FFL will probably be leery to do this.

Re post #71

Sounds legal to me as long as the receiver and the other parts are not in the same transaction (ie you want to avoid constructive possession fe having all items in one box at the pawn shop). I'm not in WA so will defer to to others in WA but that's the way I see it and seems to me the only logical way to go with the AWB signing days away now.

"Some" FFL's will let you transfer an AR lower as "Other". If you take the gun apart and walk in with the lower "some" FFL's will let you transfer this to the WA resident with just the NICs check. Assuming this goes through the WA buyer can walk. The two of you can make a deal for the rest of the parts since for now these are still something you could just mail.
Now if you both want to try this I would ask the FFL first before you both waste time and gas. I would also not walk in and tell the FFL what you are doing. While its legal, if you tell the FFL you are trying to get around the WA state laws the FFL will probably be leery to do this.
Thanks for the explanation. Honestly, this whole arrangement sounds sketchy AF, and I think I'll just sell the rifles here in Oregon.

If you're transferring a disassembled lower, wouldn't the buyer have to appropriately mark the lower as rifle\pistol\other on the 4473? How does the original configuration\sale of the firearm classification apply once disassembled and sold to a 3rd party? Seems like the buyer would need to classify based on the original serial number configuration (seller bought an assembled rifle, dissembled it, that lower should be marked as rifle on the WA buyer's 4473.. and the 10 day wait in WA.) If you assembled these rifles originally as "other" stripped receivers then that should work to avoid the 10 day. I have no idea how this translates across state lines or 3rd parties. A factory rifle is always a rifle, I would assume.

Our pawn shops are doing the lowers as a single shot rifle in and out.. it's not sketchy. But I believe they have to be a completely stripped receiver.
I thought the same thing. A stripped lower to be used to build a non "assault weapon" seems like it wouldn't violate any laws. Depends on how people read that stupid "parts or kits" line of the law however I guess. I think a part (whether it's a roll pin or a lower doesn't matter) that is used to build a non AW gun shouldn't run afoul of the new bs law.

I thought the same thing. A stripped lower to be used to build a non "assault weapon" seems like it wouldn't violate any laws. Depends on how people read that stupid "parts or kits" line of the law however I guess. I think a part (whether it's a roll pin or a lower doesn't matter) that is used to build a non AW gun shouldn't run afoul of the new bs law.
Most likely no. Where this could be a "problem" is people telling anyone who will listen what they did. If our illustrious AG got wind of this I know he would not be amused. Now would he want to take someone to court over it? Who knows. He may well just because he would be all pissed off that someone was getting around the stupid new laws he just loves.

If you're transferring a disassembled lower, wouldn't the buyer have to appropriately mark the lower as rifle\pistol\other on the 4473? How does the original configuration\sale of the firearm classification apply once disassembled and sold to a 3rd party? Seems like the buyer would need to classify based on the original serial number configuration (seller bought an assembled rifle, dissembled it, that lower should be marked as rifle on the WA buyer's 4473.. and the 10 day wait in WA.) If you assembled these rifles originally as "other" stripped receivers then that should work to avoid the 10 day. I have no idea how this translates across state lines or 3rd parties. A factory rifle is always a rifle, I would assume.
What you're detailing here is why I said the process sounds "sketchy." If you are disassembling a full rifle in the parking lot of a pawn shop FFL, selling and delivering to the buyer all the parts from the rifle to reassemble it, and then going into the store and quietly selling a stripped lower for no other purpose other than to accelerate a background check, you are potentially falsifying a 4473. I understand that it might be technically legal pursuant to a loophole, but man it's close to the line.

What you're detailing here is why I said the process sounds "sketchy." If you are disassembling a full rifle in the parking lot of a pawn shop FFL, selling and delivering to the buyer all the parts from the rifle to reassemble it, and then going into the store and quietly selling a stripped lower for no other purpose other than to accelerate a background check, you are potentially falsifying a 4473. I understand that it might be technically legal pursuant to a loophole, but man it's close to the line.
This is exactly why I would not do something like this. People who do are blatantly trying to get around state law. Yes the law is moronic. That does not mean it would be worth the risk of ending up needing a damn lawyer just to save the time it takes to follow the state law. Chances are those doing this will feel no pain but, if one of them does end up needing a lawyer over it? I doubt they will think it was worth it after its all over. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top