JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it is/was a trap...
I got the cheese and am still free to do as I please!
When the government spools up to promptly accomplish what the citizens want, after so many decades of, for example, imposing full year wait times for obtaining weapons the government constantly condemns and threatens to ban, it is hard to dismiss an unsettling suspicion that the government has a nefarious motive.
One wonders whether there are new rules we have never heard of that, once accepted in a transaction, deal with the old as well as the new licensed items. To get the quick service now under the eForm system the new privacy policy must be acknowledged and agreed to. I suggest you read it with care as it it is strikingly similar to all the others of its ilk from Google and the rest. Therein might lie the sneaky aspect of this apparent miracle, if there is a sneaky aspect.

Recall the housing bubble, wherein the mortgages had changed hands so many times that the collectors of the mortgage payments had no idea where to send the money and kept it. And, how so suddenly these collectors began offering attractive re-fi rates, to capture the mortgage ownership to themselves. Consumers quickly gobbled up the re-fi to save money and were contractually hooked again. Meanwhile, many stopped paying altogether, saving the money instead to see who sent a note of overdue payments. A lot of homeowners never received such a note, because their records had been long lost and forgotten.

Just one man's parallax view, and based upon nothing but long experience to justify it

When the government spools up to promptly accomplish what the citizens want, after so many decades of, for example, imposing full year wait times for obtaining weapons the government constantly condemns and threatens to ban, it is hard to dismiss an unsettling suspicion that the government has a nefarious motive.
One wonders whether there are new rules we have never heard of that, once accepted in a transaction, deal with the old as well as the new licensed items. To get the quick service now under the eForm system the new privacy policy must be acknowledged and agreed to. I suggest you read it with care as it it is strikingly similar to all the others of its ilk from Google and the rest. Therein might lie the sneaky aspect of this apparent miracle, if there is a sneaky aspect.

Recall the housing bubble, wherein the mortgages had changed hands so many times that the collectors of the mortgage payments had no idea where to send the money and kept it. And, how so suddenly these collectors began offering attractive re-fi rates, to capture the mortgage ownership to themselves. Consumers quickly gobbled up the re-fi to save money and were contractually hooked again. Meanwhile, many stopped paying altogether, saving the money instead to see who sent a note of overdue payments. A lot of homeowners never received such a note, because their records had been long lost and forgotten.

Just one man's parallax view, and based upon nothing but long experience to justify it
All that is really really interesting, for sure.

However, either you want a suppressor. Legally.

Or you do not want a suppressor.

True. But, so far, the paper forms are still accepted. Wait time ignored, time will tell which option might have an advantage.
If one has concerns over the government "knowing too much", filing on paper will not undo that. At. All.

Here's another tinfoil hat: The government could focus interest on folks whom solely file by paper too. If "they" wish....I mean why are folks paper filing what they could electronically?

One can go down any conspiracy rabbit hole one wishes.

I just got a username and PIN number with the e form site, is there anything else I need to do at this point if I purchased at a shop with a kiosk? The shop owner made it sound very easy and that's all I needed to do. It's been quite a while since my last can purchase.

I just got a username and PIN number with the e form site, is there anything else I need to do at this point if I purchased at a shop with a kiosk? The shop owner made it sound very easy and that's all I needed to do. It's been quite a while since my last can purchase.
Shortly you should receive an e-mail from ATF E-Forms letting you know that your Form 4 is ready to certify. At that point you will contact your dealer and certify with the dealer via the E-Forms site... Then your wait begins.

Shortly you should receive an e-mail from ATF E-Forms letting you know that your Form 4 is ready to certify. At that point you will contact your dealer and certify with the dealer via the E-Forms site... Then your wait begins.
Ok, I got an email for confirmation and replied, is that the same as the "certify" email? I don't want to wait any longer than necessary and this is something I tend to screw up.

The guy at my shop said they hired a bunch of new case workers BUT in all their infinite wisdom, didn't cross load all the old forms among the new workers. My guess is this happened around the start of this year. So what you have is some ATF workers under the old system who have queues of several thousands of forms and all of the new ATF workers with queues of.... whatever rolled in that day. Being that mine was submitted on Dec 18 I'm guessing I'm on the old system. F my life.

This is so far specifically for individuals. The guy I called said he's going to try a Trust form today and see if it's on the new accelerated approval timeline or not.

The guy at my shop said they hired a bunch of new case workers BUT in all their infinite wisdom, didn't cross load all the old forms among the new workers. My guess is this happened around the start of this year. So what you have is some ATF workers under the old system who have queues of several thousands of forms and all of the new ATF workers with queues of.... whatever rolled in that day. Being that mine was submitted on Dec 18 I'm guessing I'm on the old system. F my life.

This is so far specifically for individuals. The guy I called said he's going to try a Trust form today and see if it's on the new accelerated approval timeline or not.
I wish you luck and hope you get the approval soon. I'm worse than a kid before Christmas right now, LOL

-Dont recall exactly. Other than logging into efrorms & completing profile.

Silencershop has pretty decent videos. Some folks learn better with visual, not just having Q's answered.

-Also, have you set up your silencer shop account yet.?

If I remember correctly, you setup your account + photo. Then use a code at the kiosk to do your fingerprints & finish your account setup.

Once your silencer shop account is setup:

You buy your suppressor thru them (dunno how it works if the store already has the can u want/you already paid for can at shop).

You login to silencershop from home & use there software to "talk to" the ATF software (uses your ATF code/pin). You'll fill out the ATF form info.

Silencer shop will send you a docusign for you to verify electronically.

Once the shop receives your suppressor, you will go in to "certify" (need your ATF login/pin). - This step is for non-trusts. I believe single trusts skip this.

Then wait for e-mail stamp.

---There must be info's for folks who buy the can at the shop & then use silencer shop software. I'd be interested in such myself actually!-'

Wall of text warning....

Here's a write up from someone else, on a different forum about a FFL/SOT webinar held on 3/15....

The faster processing times for NFA transfers were explained in the ATF FFL/SOT webinar being held today. held today. I apologize for the rough writeup but I was typing these notes, watching the slide show, and listening at the same time.

High-level synopsis if you didn't get the invitation or couldn't attend (only 3000 invitations were sent out to FFL/SOT's):

Holdup of processing is primarily due to FBI NICS because all F1/F4/F5 applicants get run through it. GCA specifies three-day response for Title I transfers, NFA does not, so NFA background check requests are given a lower priority. NFA background checks get done when the FBI has time to do them if they are not instant.

ATF used to use FIFO for F1/F4/F5 applications under old business process. Now it moves an application forward once a response from FBI NICS has been received; F1/F4/F5 with a FBI NICS response are not stacked up behind others waiting on the FBI NICS response.

If you submit as an individual and you typically get through FBI NICS instantly when you purchase a Title I firearm then your F1/F4/F5 will be processed quickly. If you are delayed every time then it will take longer because there is no federal mandate on the FBI to respond to an NFA NICS background check in three days. If your FBI NICS never gets a response (remains "Open" when purchasing a Title I firearm and the dealer simply transfers on the third business day) then F1/F4/F5 will take a very long time because ATF doesn't move forward until it gets a response from FBI NICS.

Providing SSN, especially if you constantly are delayed or have a common name, speeds up F1/F4/F5 application. Some transferees refuse to put the SSN on the form due to concerns about PII theft. Either you trust your FFL or you don't.

Transferees need to get a UPIN if they are always delayed or if FBI NICS never sends a response to the FFL for a Title I transfer (status remains "Open" forever) if they want to improve their F1/F4/F5 processing times.

If multiple applications for one individual are made same day then ATF "bundles" them and one FBI NICS background check is used for all of them.

ATF business process for individual F1/F4/F5 has been streamlined so once FBI NICS response is received the F1/F4/F5 process at ATF finishes quickly (within hours).

Some examiners do only individual applications, others do only trust applications.

ATF business process for trust F1/F4/F5 hasn't been streamlined yet, that is going to be worked out over the next few months.

Even if there is a new process, trust transfers will always take longer than individual due to complexity, requirement to review the trust document language for state legality and completeness, and greater possibility of error (e.g. number of trustees is greater than number of submitted 5320.23 forms). It sounds like the trust process is faster if each RP on the trust has an eForms account rather than just the primary trustee who is submitting the eF1/eF4.

Trusts where just one person is listed as the settlor, trustee, and beneficiary are not legal (merger doctrine).

Trust will be delayed if any RP background check is delayed by FBI NICS. Some trust F1/F4's have been submitted where a trustee / trust applicant is a minor which is also a problem.

If trust has language that beneficiary may possess or shoot the firearm, even if only in the presence of the trustee, then the beneficiary must also submit an RP.

ATF will deny F1/F4/F5 because FBI NICS returns a "Deny" response. The applicant has to fix the problem with the FBI NICS because ATF is not given info on why the background check was denied. Use same appeal process as for a Title I "Deny" response, and expect to get a UPIN in the future.

Third-party certifications with eForms are not legal and an FFL/SOT who does it will have access to the system revoked. Certifications must be done by the actual transferor and transferee. So, don't be using a PIN from someone else and don't give your PIN to anyone.

eForms application is currently being updated to permit certain data corrections to the form instead of instant denial and resubmit needed; the update should be released in a month or so.

Currently 96% of applications are eForms versus paper forms.

While the federal statute requires applicants to submit fingerprints, neither the ATF nor the FBI use them for anything.

Ok, I got an email for confirmation and replied, is that the same as the "certify" email? I don't want to wait any longer than necessary and this is something I tend to screw up.
Looks like we may be talking past each other…

My certify e-mails were from silencer shop.

They are titled "eForm 4 ready to Cerify Now!"

In the body of the email is a copy of the order & directions for next steps…

—So, I'll ask: did you buy thru silencershop, or are you just using the fingerprint service & doing the eForm on your own…

We did the former.

No idea on eForm on your own. Seems complicated. To me.

Maybe worthwhile after a bit for us to do. However, Silencershop doing all was pretty easy. Steps? Yes. However info & directions all in one "spot", sorta.

Looks like we may be talking past each other…

My certify e-mails were from silencer shop.

They are titled "eForm 4 ready to Cerify Now!"

In the body of the email is a copy of the order & directions for next steps…

—So, I'll ask: did you buy thru silencershop, or are you just using the fingerprint service & doing the eForm on your own…

We did the former.

No idea on eForm on your own. Seems complicated. To me.

Maybe worthwhile after a bit for us to do. However, Silencershop doing all was pretty easy. Steps? Yes. However info & directions all in one "spot", sorta.
Yes, we were talking past one another. I purchased through Silencer Shop, I was just a little ahead of myself as they sent me the emails today with the Docusign form. I heard once that is signed the wait actually begins. The email stated approx 8 days for the form 3 transfer to my dealer and some people are reporting a form 4 approval at the same time if that makes sense. My first two cans were right at 12 months, so anything less will just be a bonus. I really didn't need another can but wanted to see for myself if the 1-2 week approvals were all BS or not.

Yes, we were talking past one another. I purchased through Silencer Shop, I was just a little ahead of myself as they sent me the emails today with the Docusign form. I heard once that is signed the wait actually begins. The email stated approx 8 days for the form 3 transfer to my dealer and some people are reporting a form 4 approval at the same time if that makes sense. My first two cans were right at 12 months, so anything less will just be a bonus. I really didn't need another can but wanted to see for myself if the 1-2 week approvals were all BS or not.
Yup, clock doesn't start until e-sign.

No....
For SS, docusign just starts the process. They still need to transfer it to your dealer. Once that is done, you will get an email from SS saying it's at the dealer. A day or so later, after the dealer has done their intake processing, they will contact you to certify. Once certified, that package goes to the ATF. That's when time starts.

If the silencer is already in stock at your dealer, the there's very little time lost there. But SS still need to get the paperwork ready and sent to the dealer.

No....
For SS, docusign just starts the process. They still need to transfer it to your dealer. Once that is done, you will get an email from SS saying it's at the dealer. A day or so later, after the dealer has done their intake processing, they will contact you to certify. Once certified, that package goes to the ATF. That's when time starts.

If the silencer is already in stock at your dealer, the there's very little time lost there. But SS still need to get the paperwork ready and sent to the dealer.
I got an email yesterday stating that SS had initiated the process (form 3) to send it to my dealer. It stated avg approval time of less than 8 days. This is only my third time doing this so definitely don't have it memorized. First was paper, second was e form by name only, this one seems to be a true e form.

I got an email yesterday stating that SS had initiated the process (form 3) to send it to my dealer. It stated avg approval time of less than 8 days...
Dealer to dealer transfer OK's have normally been "reasonably quick", from what I understand.

Your approval clock starts once its at the dealer & you go in to certify in person.

I dilly dallied getting down to the dealer to certify our first 2 a good several weeks AFTER I received the "ready to certify" email from silencer shop.

SS was great about communicating, as was our FFL. Both texted/called a bit after SS sent the "ready to certify" email. Several business days later, IIRC.

Would be hard to miss this step, unless you go dark for some reason.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top