JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only had one issue with sportsmans but it was more human error from a new hire reading the wrong serials of a gun I bought. When the BGC went thru they said the gun I was buying was stolen.

Manager came down and cleared everything up after figuring out the original clerk had input a wrong serial from the box vs what was on the gun itself. Otherwise I love sportsman's sans the stand in line during riot season buying and now their take a ticket DMV style. But I get it, corporate policy etc etc.

Oddly enough I've never bought a gat online from an order. Only gun deals I do is here via trade/private sale.

I appreciate the information it is helpful! I'm not saying anybody is trying to short me I know I will get my items or a refund. The fact that there is no communication is what I have a problem with! I have never had a problem with Cabela's!! I understand Cabela's bought out Sportsman's but the service you receive is still far better at Cabela's hands down! I'm just glad it's not my only gun otherwise I'd be f'ed! If that is the way you want to run your company that is completely fine. Let me get the item I paid for in a timely manner let me know what's going on throughout the process that's all I'm asking for which if I'm spending good money shouldn't be a problem. I will not conduct business with them again nor would I recommend them. Now I understand what I can expect if I purchase from there.
I would bet you would see, if you went back to Sportman's Warehouse 6 months from now, a much more efficient process, and much more competent people. Afterall, Sportsman's Warehouse did sell out to Bass Pro Shops for a reason. They just weren't making the grade. At Cabelas, the people who do the work you seek after, have four year degrees, indicating a level of intelligence, some more so than others. At least they aren't just out of high school with no real idea of customer service. From experience, guns currently at a Cabelas take about five days to transfer store to store. Guns from a manufacturer make take 6 months. Guns at another sporting goods store across the nation take, again, about five days to transfer depending on the carrier. Fedex is pretty good. Once it reaches the store it is transferred to the gun area and the process begins as I mentioned earlier. Then there is the OSP waiting list to deal with. Currently about 12 days.

I've purchased three firearms from Sportsman's Warehouse, the first two they had in stock at the store (all three were through the Hillsboro store), but the third, and last gun I'll ever buy from SW I ordered online for pick-up at the store. It was in stock at the central warehouse, so I got an email within a few days with a pick-up date for a week out. That day came and no call from the store, so the next day I called them and they said it hadn't arrived. I gave it a few more days and called, same answer. A week after the only date I was given and called them again, same answer even after asking to speak with the store manager. So the very next day I called the corporate office and demanded a tracking number, which I got, and guess what? Yep, it had indeed arrived on that original date and was just sitting there. I printed out the UPS tracking info and went to the store. I first asked them if my order had arrived, the guy went into the back room for a few minutes and came out saying it wasn't here yet. I then give him the UPS tracking info and asked if I could talk with the person who signed for it. He disappeared for some time, and then the department manager came out with my firearm giving me some song and dance about it being on the 'wrong shelf'. No, it was bought from the 'wrong store'. This was just before the first COVID lock down, so this problem has more to do with bad store management than COVID. I've worked retail management for decades and you'd be surprised how disorganized and how common the lack of communication is with big box stores. My best firearm purchasing experiences have always been with the local gun shops.
Sadly, the Hillsboro store has gone down hill over the years. Poor managemen, combined with poor oversight from corporate.

Now, without ammo or other high margin items readily available, most big box sporting goods stores are struggling.

You'd think the extra % they sold off last year during the start of all this would go into reserves! Likely corporate got bonuses, and now that they are all out of stock, the stores will have to lay off and cut hours. Which will only add to the problems they are having.

Sadly, the Hillsboro store has gone down hill over the years. Poor managemen, combined with poor oversight from corporate.

Now, without ammo or other high margin items readily available, most big box sporting goods stores are struggling.

You'd think the extra % they sold off last year during the start of all this would go into reserves! Likely corporate got bonuses, and now that they are all out of stock, the stores will have to lay off and cut hours. Which will only add to the problems they are having.
Cabelas has a lot of stock. Full shelves, shotguns, hunting, tactical kinda low. The hunting is a bit heavy on 6.5 Creedmores. Good selection of many brands. Just had a major drop off of ammo.

Cabelas has a lot of stock. Full shelves, shotguns, hunting, tactical kinda low. The hunting is a bit heavy on 6.5 Creedmores. Good selection of many brands. Just had a major drop off of ammo.
Guns having almost no mark up. When I worked at Sportsmans Warehouse, some weren't even worth buying with the discount. Discount, at the time I worked there, was cost +10%. If a gun only had a 5% margin. It would cost more with the discount.

Ammo usually had a 20-40% margin. As did just about everything reloading. Scopes too.

Selling guns is like groceries, you'll need to sell a ton at that low margin to make good profits.

Most of SW profits are made from all the other hunting/shooting stuff.

I don't imagine Cabelas is any different.

My one gun-buying experience with SW went well, other than the fact that I picked the weekend of the Rose City Gun Show and had to wait 2 hours for the BG check to go through... That wasn't their fault, and it was in another town 10 years ago.

I absolutely agree with others here who are tired of businesses and.gubmint services using CoViD as their ongoing excuse for everything... Time to take the bull by the horns and move forward!

There's actually someone who doesn't have an AR-platform rifle?

Weird. I thought unicorns were mythical.
Now thats some funny right there. A lot of us just aren't into Black Rifles. The closest thing I have to an AR is my M1 Carbine. It is also the only rifle I have that is semi auto with a detachable magazine.

There's actually someone who doesn't have an AR-platform rifle?

Weird. I thought unicorns were mythical.
I do not

name one other firearm with a buffer tube or a charging handle that stick gas right in your eye?
Popular yes, but that doesnt mean its not with out major flaws. Remember when ypur parents said, if other kids jumped off a cliff, would you?

There are countless other platforms that do not have glaring problems

I would bet you would see, if you went back to Sportman's Warehouse 6 months from now, a much more efficient process, and much more competent people. Afterall, Sportsman's Warehouse did sell out to Bass Pro Shops for a reason. They just weren't making the grade. At Cabelas, the people who do the work you seek after, have four year degrees, indicating a level of intelligence, some more so than others. At least they aren't just out of high school with no real idea of customer service. From experience, guns currently at a Cabelas take about five days to transfer store to store. Guns from a manufacturer make take 6 months. Guns at another sporting goods store across the nation take, again, about five days to transfer depending on the carrier. Fedex is pretty good. Once it reaches the store it is transferred to the gun area and the process begins as I mentioned earlier. Then there is the OSP waiting list to deal with. Currently about 12 days.
This is the biggest pile of toilet bile I've read in a long time.

My last 2 gun purchases at Cabelas have been anything but pleasant and efficient.

4-year degrees? HA! The guys working the counter up here haven't seen 4 minutes inside a classroom!

This is the biggest pile of toilet bile I've read in a long time.

My last 2 gun purchases at Cabelas have been anything but pleasant and efficient.

4-year degrees? HA! The guys working the counter up here haven't seen 4 minutes inside a classroom!
Maybe they do have 4year degrees. For how much they charge for their firearms, they probably pay them well too. For a national, high volume dealer, you'd think theyd get great wholesale prices and pass it on to the customers. Nope. You can go into most any of the better LGS and get it at a better price.

The only black rifle I have is a CVA single shot 45-70. The only .223 I have is a CZ 527 Bolt gun. There got that out of the way. Freight, ammo and guns is all goofy right now. I have a Browning left hand X-bolt Hunter and a Springfield Range officer target that have been on order since August. I just last week got the Henry youth .22 lever rifle that I ordered at the same time as the Browning and Springfield. Randomly UPS will stop with a heavy package of bullets that I ordered back in July or some such.

Last Edited:
Ha ha reminds me when years ago I went to sportsman's warehouse on 82nd in PDX and asked if they had a holster for a sig P938. The guy said, "I'll be right back and we will look for a holster for your Sigma."

GI Joes was not very good at selling guns toward the end. I worked there in the early '90s in between my stints at Larry's. They had a lot of dust collectors on the shelf.

-E-
I'm guessing they were "Joe's" by then? The idiots from Cali that bought the place changed one of the most iconic and loved names in the NW and then proceeded to bubblegum the place up. :mad:

I try not to buy guns from places that make me fill out the 4473 on some crummy banged up tablet where I have to push the keyboard 2-3 times for each letter
I do remember having the same experience with the last firearm purchase, but the not with the two prior. I suspect, and this has happened at other stores I've worked at, they 'wanted' to go paperless, but didn't want to invest a lot of money, so they probably found some 'used' tablets from some recently closed business that are old tech and worn out.

I'm guessing they were "Joe's" by then? The idiots from Cali that bought the place changed one of the most iconic and loved names in the NW and then proceeded to bubblegum the place up. :mad:

No, still GI Joe's at that time but well on their way toward oblivion.

They had a early inventory software program called SLIC. It was horribly messed up. It showed the Oak Grove store as having 800+ Coleman propane cylinders when in reality they had been sold out for weeks. But because SLIC said you had inventory, it wouldn't generate an order. No amount of adjustments or phone calls to corporate would resolve the error. There were many such examples like this.

-E-

So a few weeks ago I ordered an AR15 from sportsman's warehouse it was estimated to arrive on the 12th. I wait for the 12th and no update so I called their customer support and they said it arrived and I will be contacted when it's ready. I feel like a good bit of companies would follow up with a new estimate date or something absolutely zero communication. I called the store that I placed my in-store pickup with and I was told they had a large shipment of AR15's come in but they only have one person dealing with the entire shipment of AR15's. I politely thanked him not much he could do. I just don't understand what the problem is with communication. I didn't even receive an email when my shipment ship but I know it ship because that's what they told me. Call me old school but I'm a fan of tracking numbers/ status updates specially when I'm spending almost a thousand dollars.. So essentially I'm just waiting till they can get to it lord knows when that will be.. Had I known this is the type of situation I was going to run into I would have bought locally lesson learned! Luckily for me I have enough gun that I should be fine till it's ready to be picked up but what about the people who are buying it for self defense and it is the only gun they have/ don't have? I'm not trying to come off as rude but I'm tired of establishments using Covid-19 as an excuse for bubblegumty service and that goes for almost every retail store I have visited/dealt with in the past 12 months. Moral of the story buying locally. Hopefully I can get my rifle soon after that I won't be doing my business with them again.
That's too bad...I've purchased several guns from SW and never had an issue. It's still one of my favorite gun stores.

Maybe they do have 4year degrees. For how much they charge for their firearms, they probably pay them well too.
No, I can guarantee you they don't.

I interviewed at one several years ago as a 2nd job. They start off just a touch over minimum wage. The only ones making any money are the upper end managers.

They feed off of retirees who are trying to get away from their wives for a few hours a day and high school dropouts who need enough cash to get to the next weekend. There is nothing higher-education about the joint.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top