JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So a few weeks ago I ordered an AR15 from sportsman's warehouse it was estimated to arrive on the 12th. I wait for the 12th and no update so I called their customer support and they said it arrived and I will be contacted when it's ready. I feel like a good bit of companies would follow up with a new estimate date or something absolutely zero communication. I called the store that I placed my in-store pickup with and I was told they had a large shipment of AR15's come in but they only have one person dealing with the entire shipment of AR15's. I politely thanked him not much he could do. I just don't understand what the problem is with communication. I didn't even receive an email when my shipment ship but I know it ship because that's what they told me. Call me old school but I'm a fan of tracking numbers/ status updates specially when I'm spending almost a thousand dollars.. So essentially I'm just waiting till they can get to it lord knows when that will be.. Had I known this is the type of situation I was going to run into I would have bought locally lesson learned! Luckily for me I have enough gun that I should be fine till it's ready to be picked up but what about the people who are buying it for self defense and it is the only gun they have/ don't have? I'm not trying to come off as rude but I'm tired of establishments using Covid-19 as an excuse for bubblegumty service and that goes for almost every retail store I have visited/dealt with in the past 12 months. Moral of the story buying locally. Hopefully I can get my rifle soon after that I won't be doing my business with them again.
I work for Cabelas and this is the way it works for all stores under the Bass Pro Shops umbrella. A gun arrives on the dock and customer service gives a call to the customer letting them know the gun has arrived (status update). The gun is picked up from the loading dock and goes to an area where a person opens the box, installs a trigger lock, checks the serial number on the gun, verifies it with the box, checks the contents of the box to make sure you are receiving everything you should be, scans the gun into the computer, tapes it shut with a piece of safety check tape, gets initialed and dated, paperwork is attached to the box, the customer is called, and finally the box is located on a waiting shelf. All during these steps, this person can be interrupted, to answer a call from the OSP, return trace requests from the ATF, be asked to assist at the sales counter, and approve 4473's and file them as they come in. This whole process should take no more than 20 minutes per gun, depending on the amount of work done at the counter, helping a customer who wants to look at a gun. The number of guns that come in multiply the amount of time to get to yours and let's say it is half way through the stack of boxes, maybe five hours in. A break and a lunch time can come and go but all guns will be processed the day of receipt. As to estimating a date an outside manufacturer will deliver on an order, no one knows that and Covid restrictions do affect production, just take a look at the ammunition and scope shortages. There's no "bubblegumty" there. You can buy locally, and pay for the extra cost of doing so. I will not knock the sales process, or service at Cabelas, it is efficient. Maybe there is a new person at Sportman's Warehouse still trying to catch on. Nobody there is trying to short you.

That burns my bubblegum. I hope you reported it.
I had them mess up my paper work, then blame me for it.
won't go into much details, but they called cops on me.
cops came, found out at that time I work for PPD, that I was not a felon, that they miss up my form with other with a completely different person.

why???
I was Mexican and they mix it up with other that was Mexican.
they also said in the back (I over heard) I can't find the wet backs paperwork.
first in last time i shop chain store for guns
They didn't call the police. They entered your information that you filled out, into the computer for the Oregon State Police to review. If the OSP messed up and sent an office to talk with you that's on the OSP, not Sportman's Warehouse.

I had them mess up my paper work, then blame me for it.
won't go into much details, but they called cops on me.
cops came, found out at that time I work for PPD, that I was not a felon, that they miss up my form with other with a completely different person.

why???
I was Mexican and they mix it up with other that was Mexican.
they also said in the back (I over heard) I can't find the wet backs paperwork.
first in last time i shop chain store for guns
If someone said anything racist you should have asked for a manager. You are the customer and due all the respect in the world.

I had a similar experience with my LGS years ago with an AR. I paid for it and every time I went in there (calling was an even more fruitless activity) to see where it was, I'd have to totally reintroduce myself to the same guy and 'yes, you have a rifle ordered for me. Here's the receipt, see?' . I felt like I was rubbing a puppy's nose in urine but eventually I got the rifle.

I've purchased three firearms from Sportsman's Warehouse, the first two they had in stock at the store (all three were through the Hillsboro store), but the third, and last gun I'll ever buy from SW I ordered online for pick-up at the store. It was in stock at the central warehouse, so I got an email within a few days with a pick-up date for a week out. That day came and no call from the store, so the next day I called them and they said it hadn't arrived. I gave it a few more days and called, same answer. A week after the only date I was given and called them again, same answer even after asking to speak with the store manager. So the very next day I called the corporate office and demanded a tracking number, which I got, and guess what? Yep, it had indeed arrived on that original date and was just sitting there. I printed out the UPS tracking info and went to the store. I first asked them if my order had arrived, the guy went into the back room for a few minutes and came out saying it wasn't here yet. I then give him the UPS tracking info and asked if I could talk with the person who signed for it. He disappeared for some time, and then the department manager came out with my firearm giving me some song and dance about it being on the 'wrong shelf'. No, it was bought from the 'wrong store'. This was just before the first COVID lock down, so this problem has more to do with bad store management than COVID. I've worked retail management for decades and you'd be surprised how disorganized and how common the lack of communication is with big box stores. My best firearm purchasing experiences have always been with the local gun shops.

Especially during "Times Of High Demand " (Times of High Stress). Yeah......I guess.....customer service could be better with most ANYTHING/EVERYTHING.

Kung_Fu_Blind_Monk3.jpg
Patience Grasshopper.
OR.....Next time, consider your needs much more carefully (and in advance).

Aloha, Mark

PS......Rrrright.....I wonder how many Israeli Citizens are thinking about buying a firearm and/or more ammo now? LOL.

Then......with American Laws......add (think of) the possible complaints about "a lic, waiting periods or BGCs"?

Last Edited:
their manager was involved. And after a month of calling and getting blocked by everyone I have mentioned I got their district manager involved.

The whole time I felt like a true Karen, but I felt like if I let it go this behavior would continue

If you have been in the gun game long enough, yoj will have these experiences.

Ive had bubblegumty experiences sometimes even multiple bubblegumty experience at Keith's, NW armory, Ricks, Dicks, sportsmens, fishermans, walmart, K-mart, cabelas, bass pro. Most of the times is politics and lack of training/people skills

I will say, gunbroker clackamas was always good time. In turn i gave them a ton of business. They will be missed :s0005:

There's actually someone who doesn't have an AR-platform rifle?

Weird. I thought unicorns were mythical.
I had one in .22LR that I sold so I could get one in 556. Always upgrading! I wish the AK platform had better accuracy! I do have a Draco 9mill that I LOVE! I would have bought an AK with a Skeleton stock; but I kinda pride myself on tight groupings at decent distances so I bought an AR15 with free floating rail instead of drop in.

If you have been in the gun game long enough, yoj will have these experiences.

Ive had bubblegumty experiences sometimes even multiple bubblegumty experience at Keith's, NW armory, Ricks, Dicks, sportsmens, fishermans, walmart, K-mart, cabelas, bass pro. Most of the times is politics and lack of training/people skills

I will say, gunbroker clackamas was always good time. In turn i gave them a ton of business. They will be missed :s0005:
I hear you pretty much just have to roll with the punches! Every time I have gone into Sportsman's I have had a bad experience.. I honestly don't know why I thought it would be different making a larger purchase but still the same service. I never went to sportsman's before the pandemic expect for archery stuff for my bow. Now I know unless you see it on the shelves and you're able to get it same day. Don't buy unless time is not an issue for you! I'm sure my views my change slightly based on the service I receive when I actually have to fill out the paper work!

Go to the store and make them dig your gun out of the pile.

If they refuse, cancel it and get one from somewhere else.

The stuff they sell isn't unique to Sportsmans, you can likely get it elsewhere and probably for less.

Damn I miss GI Joes. :(
Me too. When the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight came out the GI Joe's in Eugene had one mispriced for $575. After trying to convince the clerk that the price was wrong I bought it. Of course it scanned for $1,175 at the register but with the price tag tag still hanging in the trigger guard I was adamant. Nice new 30-06 for $575.

Funny, I never saw that clerk again.

P

Me too. When the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight came out the GI Joe's in Eugene had one mispriced for $575. After trying to convince the clerk that the price was wrong I bought it. Of course it scanned for $1,175 at the register but with the price tag tag still hanging in the trigger guard I was adamant. Nice new 30-06 for $575.

P
GI Joe's was the best. i remember in my teens I bought a k98 out of a oil drum there back in the day. best 89 bucks spent

I work for Cabelas and this is the way it works for all stores under the Bass Pro Shops umbrella. A gun arrives on the dock and customer service gives a call to the customer letting them know the gun has arrived (status update). The gun is picked up from the loading dock and goes to an area where a person opens the box, installs a trigger lock, checks the serial number on the gun, verifies it with the box, checks the contents of the box to make sure you are receiving everything you should be, scans the gun into the computer, tapes it shut with a piece of safety check tape, gets initialed and dated, paperwork is attached to the box, the customer is called, and finally the box is located on a waiting shelf. All during these steps, this person can be interrupted, to answer a call from the OSP, return trace requests from the ATF, be asked to assist at the sales counter, and approve 4473's and file them as they come in. This whole process should take no more than 20 minutes per gun, depending on the amount of work done at the counter, helping a customer who wants to look at a gun. The number of guns that come in multiply the amount of time to get to yours and let's say it is half way through the stack of boxes, maybe five hours in. A break and a lunch time can come and go but all guns will be processed the day of receipt. As to estimating a date an outside manufacturer will deliver on an order, no one knows that and Covid restrictions do affect production, just take a look at the ammunition and scope shortages. There's no "bubblegumty" there. You can buy locally, and pay for the extra cost of doing so. I will not knock the sales process, or service at Cabelas, it is efficient. Maybe there is a new person at Sportman's Warehouse still trying to catch on. Nobody there is trying to short you.
I appreciate the information it is helpful! I'm not saying anybody is trying to short me I know I will get my items or a refund. The fact that there is no communication is what I have a problem with! I have never had a problem with Cabela's!! I understand Cabela's bought out Sportsman's but the service you receive is still far better at Cabela's hands down! I'm just glad it's not my only gun otherwise I'd be f'ed! If that is the way you want to run your company that is completely fine. Let me get the item I paid for in a timely manner let me know what's going on throughout the process that's all I'm asking for which if I'm spending good money shouldn't be a problem. I will not conduct business with them again nor would I recommend them. Now I understand what I can expect if I purchase from there.

P
When our local North 40 opened their gun counter they had a S&W 3" .357 model 60 marked at ~$450.. Was on it like a crow on road kill. My wife stood back and kept her mouth shut, knew something was up. I asked repeatedly if the price was correct, was assured it was. Said I'll take it, asked if they had more at that price, nope only one.

So.. I fill out all the paperwork and proceed to checkout, rings up closer to $800. long story short after the manager refused to honor the price tag claiming it would be against federal law for them to sell at the tagged price. Didn't really expect to get it for $450, it was just when he started with the federal law BS that I told him he was either stupid or a liar, took my paperwork and left.

Wife asked if I really expected to get it for that price, I shrugged and said it was worth a try.

Was ~3 years before they were the only game in town for something I needed NOW, still won't buy in their gun department. I'm sure my lack of patronage was had a significant effect on their bottom line. Sure it has.:s0112:

P

GI Joes was not very good at selling guns toward the end. I worked there in the early '90s in between my stints at Larry's. They had a lot of dust collectors on the shelf.

-E-

P
LOL, the exact same thing happen with me and a buddy at Anderson's Sporting Goods in Salem when they were still around.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top