JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Load:
Mixed brass(lg primers)
Federal large primers
5.5 grains win 231
Hornady 185 hollow points

Im getting a yellow "powder" like substance in the chamber! What is it? Im shooting the same almost the same load but with a 230 ball( same 5.5 of 231 same fed primer) and I havent seen it with any of those rounds (shot about 125-150). 20190408_094900.jpg

Don't shoot .45 but on the subject of cleaner burning powders the Accurate line burns pretty clean.

Another thing to note about powder residue is that due to each powders burn rate, you might find a powder burn really dirty at lower charges and very clean at higher charges.

W231/HP-38 is my go to powder in .45acp for 8-9 years now. Seems clean enough to me and I've never seen any yellow stuff. You want dirty? Try Bullseye or Unique in .45acp. You sure your not shaving brass somehow?

Might try bumping the load up .2 or .3 grains, see if that doesn't take care of the strange yellow residue... I'd suspect an incomplete burn, unless your using corn flakes as filler :eek:

Long ago went to Unique for .45 ACP, dirty yes, but cleaning is therapeutic... I've also been known to used Red Dot and Promo too, but I'm quirky like that...

Might try bumping the load up .2 or .3 grains, see if that doesn't take care of the strange yellow residue... I'd suspect an incomplete burn, unless your using corn flakes as filler :eek:

Long ago went to Unique for .45 ACP, dirty yes, but cleaning is therapeutic... I've also been known to used Red Dot and Promo too, but I'm quirky like that...
I have hurd good thing about Unique might have to pick up a lb today

W231/HP-38 is my go to powder in .45acp for 8-9 years now. Seems clean enough to me and I've never seen any yellow stuff. You want dirty? Try Bullseye or Unique in .45acp. You sure your not shaving brass somehow?
I love bullseye. Use it exclusively for 9mm and much of my 45acp

I love bullseye. Use it exclusively for 9mm and much of my 45acp

I've got nothing against Bullseye other than it being flake, which doesn't measure quite as good as 231/hp38. I don't really buy powder for the thrifty aspect. I'd rather use a powder has a wider range too.

I've got nothing against Bullseye other than it being flake, which doesn't measure quite as good as 231/hp38. I don't really buy powder for the thrifty aspect. I'd rather use a powder has a wider range too.

Bullseye burns pretty fast, and of all the pistol calibers I had problems with it's been .380
It seems to work well with .380, 9mm, and .45acp. I'm getting out of .40sw but I'm sure there's a good load for that as well.

I guess reloaders in general try a lot of powders and eventually find what works well in their firearms. If we all had the same guns I'd guess there may be more standardization on powders :)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews