JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new powder to load 38, 357 magnum, and 9mm (but looking for best performance out of 357 & 9mm). I'm currently using titegroup which is economical, but not quite what i'm looking for.
I'm mostly loading 125 gr for 357 & 115 gr for 9mm. Looking for a powder that does not need use of magnum primers. Any suggestions? Thanks

38 Special = Bullseye for lower velocity, Unique or Blue Dot for higher velocity.
357 Magnum = Blue Dot and H110/WW296.
9mm = ? don't reload that one.

These are my choices, but there are many other options.
I recently read an article where the writer was trying to duplicate factory 357 ammo with handloads and didn't use either Blue Dot or H110 (WW296 is the same).
If I try to use the words I said when I read about that, it will only come across as bubblegum. I'll just say I thought he was stupid.

I don't think there is really a reason for a Magnum primer in a 357, but sometimes they help with velocity/consistency, but not always. If I was looking for a hot primer for the 357, I would probably jump right to Small Rifle primers, just like the 357 Maximum uses.

38 Special = Bullseye for lower velocity, Unique or Blue Dot for higher velocity.
357 Magnum = Blue Dot and H110/WW296.
9mm = ? don't reload that one.

These are my choices, but there are many other options.
I recently read an article where the writer was trying to duplicate factory 357 ammo with handloads and didn't use either Blue Dot or H110 (WW296 is the same).
If I try to use the words I said when I read about that, it will only come across as bubblegum. I'll just say I thought he was stupid.

I don't think there is really a reason for a Magnum primer in a 357, but sometimes they help with velocity/consistency, but not always. If I was looking for a hot primer for the 357, I would probably jump right to Small Rifle primers, just like the 357 Maximum uses.
thank you I'll look into those two. I really appreciate it

What don't you like about Titegeoup? Might help narrow down some suggestions. I use Titegeoup in 9mm, but it's not my favorite in 38 or .357. I'm not a fan of the narrow wt range and pressure spikes in the larger cases. My favorite overall powder was Unique back when I could find it. Now I pretty much stick to Power Pistol or CFE pistol for most of my pistol calibers. My only complaint with PP is the higher charge weights, so it ends up being much more expensive than Titegeoup.

HS-6 is a good powder for 9mm. Been using it in 9mm and .40 for pretty close to the beginning. Seems to be fairly available too. You get good case fill, avoids double charges. Burns clean in the relative high pressure 9mm. A wider range of weight compared to Titegroup. Measures like a dream.

I like Alliant Sport Pistol for 9mm plinking loads, I mostly load 124/125 grain, and 147 grain though.

For 38 special, I like bullseye for plinking loads with 125 grain projectiles.

In 357, I've had the best luck with AA#7, and CFE Pistol for mid-range loads, and Winchester 296/H110 for magnum loads (but with magnum primers with 296/110). But I typically load heavier projectiles in the 357 (158 grain to 160-180 grain).

If you are looking for one powder to do both 9mm and 357, and don't want to use magnum primers, for mid range loads I'd consider CFE Pistol, or HS6 as Mike suggested, either would probably serve you well.

Unique does so much, people claim that it can be dirty, though I have had great luck with it. I typically load it towards max and I've had good accuracy in each of those cartridges.

Blue Dot is good, makes for 9mm muzzle blast and it's snappy.

hs6 a
I have used BE 86 in both 9mm and 44 mag with good results , another good one is AA#7 I have used it in 9mm and 44 mag ,
but for best 357 results you need a slower powder then 9mm
for one powder to load 38 / 9mm and 357 you will need to compromise on the full power 357 at least in my opinion

Hi all,
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new powder to load 38, 357 magnum, and 9mm (but looking for best performance out of 357 & 9mm). I'm currently using titegroup which is economical, but not quite what i'm looking for.
I'm mostly loading 125 gr for 357 & 115 gr for 9mm. Looking for a powder that does not need use of magnum primers. Any suggestions? Thanks
You're currently using Titegroup, but not quite what you're looking for....so what are you looking for? What do you want a powder to do?

H110/W296 for really getting the 357 up and running. It's a really slow powder, so use magnum primers and DO NOT load below the recommended starting charge. No soft lead at these velocities.

Me too for .357 using H110/W296 - CFE Pistol next in line.

Also using 14.8 gr. of H110/W296 for my .30 M1 Carbine.

Just loaded a test group for .38+P using 6.0, 6.2, & 6.4 gr. of CFE Pistol. No results yet.

H110/W296 for really getting the 357 up and running. It's a really slow powder, so use magnum primers and DO NOT load below the recommended starting charge. No soft lead at these velocities.
I know this, but didn't think to mention.
WW296 and H110 have a very narrow window and are not to be used for reduced loads. This is super important. It's also one of the reasons I like Blue Dot, which can be down loaded to lower velocities.
Most lead bullets aren't up to the velocity and pressures real magnum loads produce. Also, plated bullets are best saved for lower velocities.

Cut and paste from the all knowing machine..

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use). Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Cut and paste from the all knowing machine..

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use). Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
I used to load 41 Mag with Blue Dot. It was one of my favorite loads. At some point the warning about using Blue Dot in the 41 came out, but was still OK for other Magnums. Honestly, it makes no sense to me, especially when it's ok in the 44 Mag, but by then I wasn't loading the 41 anymore and would prefer to not tempt fate.
I've only loaded 158gr in the 357 and the last batch, at near Max loads, was just a little too hot. I still have most of a box to pull bullets out of and do over.

Good info, @Certaindeaf

What I do when faced with such decisions is to go to the Hodgdon web site and play with their load data portion of the web site. With a pad and pencil you can filter out what you are looking for.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top