JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
and ultimate reloader is a great resource for all things related..
Oh its a regular bookmark for me. And good tip on the reuse brass cost zero.
My pet hunting load is down to $1.44 after the first firing and its way better than any factory ammo I can buy.

My pet hunting load is down to $1.44 after the first firing and its way better than any factory ammo I can buy.
Yeah I'll find something accurate and that hits like a freight train and get some rounds set up. Plus some specialty rounds. But then I can afford to get a few of this and a few of that.

granted im only putting berrys 350 gr plated bullets in my costs. they are cheap for 458 bullets anyway. now put hornady flex tip 350gr in there im up prob .30 or .50 each
and bigger hunting rounds yeah 1 to 2.00 per bullet on some of those but im not out hunting rhinos.

Yeah I'll find something accurate and that hits like a freight train and get some rounds set up. Plus some specialty rounds. But then I can afford to get a few of this and a few of that.
350gr of lead i promise will hit like a freight train in Ohio

EDIT: a 12 gauge slug is approx 380 to 440grs or so.....

and bigger hunting rounds yeah 1 to 2.00 per bullet on some of those but im not out hunting rhinos.
while Im down to $1.44/rd premium hunting ammo in the same class of bullet is about $4.55/rd.

Been looking for a way to estimate my savings and all I had to do was put a zero in the brass cost... :)

Welcome aboard…..

That's how I fell into the hole 2 years ago.

Assembled.50 Beowulf from BCA upper …… ammo got expensive as I finished so picked up a kit and components at COVID prices. Still at those prices today so…….. actually never felt bad about 10 cents a primer.

My first 40 rounds ever loaded, my group size was cut in half…..easily . No all my center fire cartridges are reloaded ….. still buy bulk on the basics.

Reloading changed my shooting for the better. Don't want to go back. Don't know how to express it.

Advice given to me initially:

Get a book and do it by the book.

Have a "mentor" with experience….. or a I guess a forum…..?!?!?!

YouTube helps with everything these days.

I'm a fan of your recent curiosity and choice to reload. Good luck. These guys know a lot….. I'd be available for any questions on big bore. But again these guys here have much more experience and I'm gleaning everyday.

YouTube got me into this mess... The blasted gel blocks? The good content online forced me into this. I blame the interwebs. And the hippity hopping music.

I got into reloading when I got my 300WM, paying $3 a round was just crazy for target rounds. Now I load my target for $0.85 a round and hunting for $1.25 a round.
So have to add this, I went down the rabbit hole and now I load for 12 other rounds from small pistol to larger Rifle calibers. At the moment I've found that it's currently cheaper to buy 5.56 and 7.62x51 than it is to load them sadly.

Last Edited:
For 458 SOCOM specifically I would get a loaded case gauge from Tromix: https://tromix.com/product/cartridge-slotted-case-gauge/
The case gauge is a short piece of chambered barrel. Every case should be, "Plunk Tested" after sizing and after loading. This one piece of gear will save you a world of headaches ... The .458S headspaces off of the shoulder and set-back is critical. :)

The RCBS 325gr.cast FN is a great all round bullet when used with W-296 :)

The case gauge is a short piece of chambered barrel. Every case should be, "Plunk Tested" after sizing and after loading. This one piece of gear will save you a world of headaches ... The .458S headspaces off of the shoulder and set-back is critical. :)

The RCBS 325gr.cast FN is a great all round bullet when used with W-296 :)
Even if they all plunk into the gauge, they still have to fit the magazine, chamber fully and feed properly.

Even if they all plunk into the gauge, they still have to fit the magazine, chamber fully and feed properly.
The gauge will only tell you if your round will fit in any rifle chamber. A Case comparator will tell you exactly what size your rifles chamber is and how your round will fit that. The less you have to size your brass the more loads you get out of it....

Some flat nosed bullets require special attention.:)
I also use a single round follower in my .458S magazines.

SingleShotFollower.JPG

Last Edited:
Can't help you with anything BCA as I am a Tromix believer. I have built 2 complete 458 socoms using Tromix bolt barrel combos. They both run great and I have harvested deer with both. As far as reloading I have pretty much run the gamut from cast to all copper and subsonic to supers. My recommend would be to start with a box of berrys 350 gr. Many powders work with the 458 socom including h110, both h and imr4198 varieties, aa1680, lil gun, rel7, accurate #9 and several others. For the berrys get a can of imr 4198 and start with 30gr. This should get you 1250fps or so and you can work up from there stopping at 1700fps or less. The 458 socom is not difficult to load for but the lack of published data makes it a bit harder for a novice reloader. Find some published data and start low and work up. A chrono would be high on my list of items to buy. Limited pressure trace data I have seen on the cartridge, indicates that by the time you see flattened primers, you are well overpressure. Have fun and be safe.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top